External HD

  • T.J. Albrecht
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
      I have a firewire external HD that I use for storage.

      I mounted it with:

      mount /dev/sda5 -t vfat /storage

      It works great. But, I do not have write access. I
      tried chmod 'ing it as root, and I got:

      "Operation not permitted"

      Any ideas? Also, there are no lines in my /etc/fstab
      file that relate to /dev/sdaX at all.

      T.J.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
        Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:58:23 -0800 (PST) scripsit T.J. Albrecht:

        > I mounted it with:
        >
        > mount /dev/sda5 -t vfat /storage

        Put it in your /etc/fstab like this:

        /dev/sda5 /storage vfat rw,noauto,users

        Then, mount it with:

        mount /storage

        It will be mounted wigh full permissions for the user who mounted it.

        --
        G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
        Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
          Thanks, it works now.

          T.J.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2003
            Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:38:59 -0800 (PST) scripsit T.J. Albrecht:

            > Thanks, it works now.

            Glad to help, but please don't top-post - even if it's to say "thanks" :)

            --
            G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
            Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
            "I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered.
            But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue:
            No good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
            -- Eleanor Roosevelt