Help me setting conexant hsf modem

  • henry_mea
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      I'm using Redhat 9 (i686).
      I'm pretty new with linux, my machine have conexant hsfmodem.
      I have downloaded the driver and install it to my machine but I
      can't see the device (/dev/ttySHSF0) in redhat-config-network
      eventhough that file is already exist.
      when I modprobe /dev/ttySHSF, there are some messages with:
      "hints: insmod error ... " and " <files>.o failed"
      What happen? and wahat should I do?

      HTH,
      Henry
    • Lydiard
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003

        If they haven' done it already someone will be along to tell you that
        you shouldn't use a winmodem and that you should get a proper one. That
        said, some of us have no choice, (not practical ones and so my
        sympathies are with you).

        So, *assuming* you have downloaded the correct driver from conextant for
        *your kernel version* - I am not a linux geek, so I couldn't tell you if
        it's 2.x.x or 2.y.y. It's defiitely going to be above 2 though. If you
        haven't uninstall the rpm (with rpm -e packagename - not rpm -e
        packagename.rpm or anything else), and then download the correct one.

        Then read the man file for ln command.

        What you want to do is create a symbolic link from /dev/ttySHSF0 to
        /dev/modem. The command line is probably:

        ln -s /dev/modem /dev/ttySHSF0

        But don't take my word for read the man pages :)

        Lyd