Re: [redhat] Modems

  • Jeff Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      John wrote:

      >Ok, so my hsp56 modem is a winmodem.
      >
      >So is my external USB Zoom modem.
      >
      >I found a good modem:
      >USRobotics
      >CJEUSA-20778-MM-E
      >Sportster Model 0484
      >$6.95
      >
      >New problem - it doesn't FIT!
      >
      >I have one brown slot and three white slots (whatever they are) but
      >this one fits the ancient black slots.
      >
      >Any help? Any suggestions on a good, cheap model?

      Go to www.pricewatch.com or www.ebay.com and search for external serial
      modems.

      There are some winmodems that will work, and you can still find some
      internal REAL modems... but to be honest, invest in a serial cable and a
      serial external modem and you will not be disappointed.

      Besides, theres no real configuration with an external modem... you jsut
      point the dialer to use /dev/ttySX where X is the number of the serial
      port (ttyS0 == com1, ttyS1 ==com2 and so on) and thats that. The modem
      does the rest for you...

      --
      Jeffrey Lane, RHCE
      Yet another IT Ronin

      Amateur Radio Call Sign Whisky Four Kill Devil Hills
      Transmitting from the Heart of North Carolina
      On 50 thousand milliwatts of pure quality equipment.
    • Gustavo J. Zamorano S.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lane <bladernr@r...> wrote:
        > John wrote:
        >
        > >Ok, so my hsp56 modem is a winmodem.
        > >
        > >So is my external USB Zoom modem.
        > >
        > >I found a good modem:
        > >USRobotics
        > >CJEUSA-20778-MM-E
        > >Sportster Model 0484
        > >$6.95
        > >
        > >New problem - it doesn't FIT!
        > >
        > >I have one brown slot and three white slots (whatever they are) but
        > >this one fits the ancient black slots.
        > >
        > >Any help? Any suggestions on a good, cheap model?
        > >
        > Go to www.pricewatch.com or www.ebay.com and search for external serial
        > modems.
        >
        > There are some winmodems that will work, and you can still find some
        > internal REAL modems... but to be honest, invest in a serial cable
        and a
        > serial external modem and you will not be disappointed.
        >
        > Besides, theres no real configuration with an external modem... you
        jsut
        > point the dialer to use /dev/ttySX where X is the number of the serial
        > port (ttyS0 == com1, ttyS1 ==com2 and so on) and thats that. The modem
        > does the rest for you...
        >

        > --
        > Jeffrey Lane, RHCE
        > Yet another IT Ronin
        To check if your winmodem is already supported by LINUX, visit
        www.linmodems.org. Download the scanmodem utility and run it. It
        will create two files. Read them all to find out if your modem will
        be supported and with what driver.
        Follow instructions.
        You will probably need driver pctel 0.9.6 or smlmodem 2.7.10.

        Good Luck.
        GZS
        .