/usr/local or /etc

  • Paul Grenyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi All

      Recently I've been building a lot of software (such as Apache, MySQL
      etc), instead of using rpm's and specifying the install director as
      /ect/x, as that's where rpm's seem to install software.

      But I'm confused!

      Why do rpm's install to /etc/x and building from source defaults to
      /usr/local/x?

      What is the significance of /usr/local? It feels like an area for the
      currently logged in (or local) user to install software, but I want to
      install software for all users.

      So, what's best practise and why?
      --

      Regards
      Paul

      Paul Grenyer
      Email: pjgrenyer@...
      Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
    • Jeff Lane
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
        Paul Grenyer wrote:

        >Recently I've been building a lot of software (such as Apache, MySQL
        >etc), instead of using rpm's and specifying the install director as
        >/ect/x, as that's where rpm's seem to install software.

        Ummm no... you are wrong. RPMs install to many different places... and
        a well written tarball will do the same if hte install scripts are done
        right.

        >But I'm confused!

        Yes, you are. Read on.

        >Why do rpm's install to /etc/x and building from source defaults to
        >/usr/local/x?

        RPMS do NOT install to /etc/x. take a look in /etc. /etc contains all
        the CONFIG files for various packages, programs, services, etc that
        exist on your machine. EXECUTABLE FILES DO NOT get put in etc normally.
        Binaries end up in /usr, /usr/local, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /bin, /sbin,
        /opt, etc etc... but they do not go into etc. If you are installing
        your programs in /etc, you need to stop that. I am not saying that it
        wont work, but it is just not a good idea.

        If you are installing software as root (system software, etc) hten the
        binaries NORMALLY would go somewhere like /bin or /sbin. If you are
        installing as a user, then it would go in /usr, /usr/local,
        /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/sbin, and so forth.

        >What is the significance of /usr/local? It feels like an area for the
        >currently logged in (or local) user to install software, but I want to
        >install software for all users.

        then you would install it in /usr/local (local to the machine) or /usr.
        but dont install in /etc... thats just bad... mmmmkay?

        --
        Jeffrey Lane, RHCE
        Yet another IT Ronin

        Amateur Radio Call Sign Whisky Four Kill Devil Hills
        Transmitting from the Heart of North Carolina
        On 50 thousand milliwatts of pure quality equipment.
      • Paul Grenyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:52, Jeff Lane wrote:

          Hi

          > >Recently I've been building a lot of software (such as Apache, MySQL
          > >etc), instead of using rpm's and specifying the install director as
          > >/ect/x, as that's where rpm's seem to install software.
          > >

          > Ummm no... you are wrong.

          It certainly wouldn't be the first time! This isn't a competition you
          know.

          > RPMs install to many different places... and
          > a well written tarball will do the same if hte install scripts are done
          > right.

          Yep - I've gone and checkeed my thinking and you're right. I was getting
          confused with something else.

          > then you would install it in /usr/local (local to the machine) or /usr.
          > but dont install in /etc... thats just bad... mmmmkay?

          At least you don't need any lessons in unnecessary sarcasm.

          Thanks, anyway - at least I got my answer.
          --

          Regards
          Paul

          Paul Grenyer
          Email: pjgrenyer@...
          Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk
        • James Drabb
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
            On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 15:02, Paul Grenyer wrote:
            > On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:52, Jeff Lane wrote:
            >
            > > Ummm no... you are wrong.
            >
            > It certainly wouldn't be the first time! This isn't a competition you
            > know.
            >
            > > then you would install it in /usr/local (local to the machine) or /usr.
            > > but dont install in /etc... thats just bad... mmmmkay?
            >
            > At least you don't need any lessons in unnecessary sarcasm.

            LOL : )

            > Thanks, anyway - at least I got my answer.

            Well, you shouldn't have to get sarcasm with your answer, so I will
            apologize on behalf of Mr. Lane, there is no reason to give sarcastic
            answers or to demean someone for not knowing an answer, the only way to
            know is to ask! This list is usually pretty civil, sorry I was not
            around to answer you question with a more polite answer.

            Jim Drabb
            "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
            to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it"
            -- Scott Granneman SecurityFocus columnist
            James Drabb JR
            Senior Programmer Analyst
            Darden Restaurants
            JDrabb at Darden dot com
          • Paul Grenyer
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
              Hi Jim

              > > At least you don't need any lessons in unnecessary sarcasm.
              >
              > LOL : )

              :-)

              > > Thanks, anyway - at least I got my answer.
              >
              > Well, you shouldn't have to get sarcasm with your answer, so I will
              > apologize on behalf of Mr. Lane, there is no reason to give sarcastic
              > answers or to demean someone for not knowing an answer, the only way to
              > know is to ask!

              Absolutely! That's why I asked.

              > This list is usually pretty civil, sorry I was not
              > around to answer you question with a more polite answer.

              Indeed, which is why I was quite surprised at the response.

              Anyway, as far as I'm concerned it's forgotten now.

              Thanks, Jim!

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
                Paul Grenyer wrote:

                >On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 19:52, Jeff Lane wrote:
                >
                >>Ummm no... you are wrong.
                >

                >It certainly wouldn't be the first time! This isn't a competition you
                >know.

                Heheheh... yeah, I know... its fine. Hell, thats how ya learn things,
                ya know? I will share a horrid secret with you (well, I suppose it cant
                be that secret since I am sending this to a mailing list, but anyway...)
                The first time I messed around wiht linux, was back in the old days of
                the 1.0 kernels, and one of the earlier versions of Slackware... It
                took me over three weeks to download all the floppy images from a BBS
                and install the system, and once I got it installed, I had no idea what
                to do. At that time the internet was still not a big public thing, and
                most of the Usenet access came from college accounts, and some of teh
                big ISPs.. so I deleted it and reinstalled windows and went on my merry
                way until my friends introduced me to Red Hat 5.2... then I had to
                reinstall that at least 20 times because I kept breaking it by messing
                with various config files... heh...

                >>RPMs install to many different places... and
                >>a well written tarball will do the same if hte install scripts are done
                >>right.
                >>

                >Yep - I've gone and checkeed my thinking and you're right. I was getting
                >confused with something else.

                Ahhh. its easy to do... here's some friendly advice about getting
                confused with things... do NOT make symlinks to things in /dev if you
                dont know what you are doing... LOL... I destroyed my mouse, sound card,
                and a keyboard doing that... (well, I didnt destroy the devices
                themselves, but I DID destroy the /dev entries... had a devil of a time
                recreating the devices too.)

                >>then you would install it in /usr/local (local to the machine) or /usr.
                >> but dont install in /etc... thats just bad... mmmmkay?
                >>

                >At least you don't need any lessons in unnecessary sarcasm.

                Yeah, my college english teacher (a writing class) often told me that I
                had an ascerbic wit and the ability to really crawl under someones skin
                when I wanted to... but dont worry... I really didnt mean to sound
                sarcastic. Please dont take it that way. I was trying to fire off a
                reply to you while my fscking modem kept dropping the connection. I
                live out in the middle of no where, with no hopes of broadband in the
                forseeable future (and no, satallite broadband is not for me), so I have
                to live with a shoddy 28K connection that my modem happily loses every
                10 minutes or so due to really bad phone lines that the phone company
                refuses to fix.

                >Thanks, anyway - at least I got my answer.

                Indeed, and this is the place for them. One thing you WILL learn with
                Linux is that for every problem there are at least three ways of fixing
                it, or doing it, and someone will point them out to you. Just ignore
                the basic RTFM replies, but do RTFM for the info.

                Cheers
                Jeff

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 8, 2003
                  James Drabb wrote:

                  >Well, you shouldn't have to get sarcasm with your answer, so I will
                  >apologize on behalf of Mr. Lane, there is no reason to give sarcastic
                  >answers or to demean someone for not knowing an answer, the only way to
                  >know is to ask! This list is usually pretty civil, sorry I was not
                  >around to answer you question with a more polite answer.

                  Please, call me Jeff... Mr. Lane sounds so formal.

                  And sorry again if that sounded sarcastic, but admit it, that was FAR
                  more sociable that a LOT of the answers I have seen given on this and
                  many other Linux lists... I could have send a nasty RTFM and such...
                  but that would have been counter productive... and given the recent ...
                  shall we say heated... debate on top posting and other silly things, I
                  would think that my simple comments were far more polite...

                  besides which, if you cant take things on a mailing list with a grain of
                  salt, then you shouldnt really be on them, I suppose. Heh... but think
                  of it this way, at least this isnt a USENET group... sheesh. (recall
                  the USENET Linux guru comments in the afore mentioned top posting debate).

                  So anyway, back to Medal of Honor... its been sucking my life away these
                  last few days...