Re: [redhat] crossover office setup

  • David King
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
      Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
      deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
      used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
      Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
      When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
      think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
      maybe that's why it worked okay.

      However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
      paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
      there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
      operation.

      David K

      Jim Drabb wrote:

      >On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:49, David King wrote:
      >

      >>I am trying to get the Crossover Office setup program to install MS Office 97 in
      >>my Linux installation.
      >>I successfully installed Internet Explorer 5.5 with it, but when I tried to
      >>install Office, I got an error message near the end of the installation saying it
      >>could not register a DLL file, and even though the installation completed (as far
      >>as the Office setup prog was concerned) the Crossover office setup prog would not
      >>complete the install. So I closed it, reopened it, and Office is now listed as
      >>being installed. I found the .exe files in the fake windows directory, and tried
      >>to run winword.exe and other .exe files, but nothing works.
      >>

      >How are you trying to run the .exe files? You need to run them through
      >wine since they are not Linux executable programs.
      >

      >>In Crossover office setup, the Office program is listed as installed, and even
      >>when I click on Remove with it highlighted, it will not remove it.
      >>
      >>What can I do to remove Office 97 completely and then reinstall it?
      >>
      >>I am using Xandros 1.0
      >>
      >>David King
      >>

      >Have you tried a newer version of MS Office? I am pretty sure that the
      >CrossOver site says that the latest version of CrossOver supports MS
      >Office 2000/xp. My brother-in-law is using it with MS Office 2000 and
      >Photoshop 7 with no problems. To uninstall, you can just delete the
      >directory that CrossOver office installed in your home directory and
      >reinstall CrossOver Office and then try a newer version of MS Office.
      >
      >P.S. As a customer who purchased the software, you are entitled to
      >support. Did you try to contact CodeWeavers about the problem? They
      >are pretty darn helpful.
      >
      >Jim Drabb

    • James Drabb
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
        *On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:21, David King wrote:
        > Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
        > deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
        > used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
        > Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
        > When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
        > think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
        > maybe that's why it worked okay.
        >
        > However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
        > paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
        > there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
        > operation.
        >
        > David K

        D you *need* to use MS Office? Open Office just hit version 1.1 and IMO
        is much better then MS Office. It also runs natively under Linux. It
        can handle just about any MS Office doc you throw at it. It also has
        some cool features that are *not* in MS Office, like the ability to
        export a document to PDF. Open Office also lets export a presentation
        to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser. You just click on
        the flash presentation and it will go to the next slide. Give it a try,
        www.openoffice.org. Make sure to get version 1.1 and *not* the 1.0.x
        versions. Version 1.1 starts up SOOOO much faster and has the newer
        features.

        Jim Drabb
        --
        James Drabb
        Senior Programmer Analyst
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
          And Thus Spake James Drabb <jdrabb@...> (on Tue, 07 Oct 2003
          18:43:04 -0400):

          > Open Office also lets export a presentation
          > to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser.

          Now that *is* cool - I wasn't aware of that one! In fact I have a use for
          just that in the near future...

          --
          G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
          Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
            I was trying to paste some text from a webpage into a document in Open
            Office and Open Office refused to paste it, saying it was not in the
            right format, so I wanted to see if it would work in MS Office, but it
            refused also. I can paste text into a text editor though, but then it
            loses all the formatting.

            I know that Open Office is good, and that I don't necessarily need to
            run MS OFfice in Linux, but, I really would like to move to Linux
            instead of Windows and run all my Windows software in Linux, so getting
            MS Office to work is the first step in that.

            David K

            James Drabb wrote:

            >*On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:21, David King wrote:
            >

            >>Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
            >>deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
            >>used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
            >>Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
            >>When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
            >>think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
            >>maybe that's why it worked okay.
            >>
            >>However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
            >>paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
            >>there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
            >>operation.
            >>
            >>David K
            >>

            >D you *need* to use MS Office? Open Office just hit version 1.1 and IMO
            >is much better then MS Office. It also runs natively under Linux. It
            >can handle just about any MS Office doc you throw at it. It also has
            >some cool features that are *not* in MS Office, like the ability to
            >export a document to PDF. Open Office also lets export a presentation
            >to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser. You just click on
            >the flash presentation and it will go to the next slide. Give it a try,
            >www.openoffice.org. Make sure to get version 1.1 and *not* the 1.0.x
            >versions. Version 1.1 starts up SOOOO much faster and has the newer
            >features.
            >
            >Jim Drabb

          • James Drabb
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
              On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 06:59, David King wrote:
              > I was trying to paste some text from a webpage into a document in Open
              > Office and Open Office refused to paste it, saying it was not in the
              > right format, so I wanted to see if it would work in MS Office, but it
              > refused also. I can paste text into a text editor though, but then it
              > loses all the formatting.
              >
              > I know that Open Office is good, and that I don't necessarily need to
              > run MS OFfice in Linux, but, I really would like to move to Linux
              > instead of Windows and run all my Windows software in Linux, so getting
              > MS Office to work is the first step in that.
              >
              > David K

              David,

              I understand your point, and that is the point that many people make.
              However, would you try to put 36" (91.44cm) truck tires on a small
              compact car? It may work, however it would take a lot of retrofitting
              and not be the best solution. By trying to run MS Windows based
              applications under Linux, this is what you are doing. You may get them
              to run, but you most likely will have problems along the way. I
              personally recommend that you try to *replace* any MS Windows specif
              applications with similar ones in Linux. For those MS Windows
              applications that do not have a Linux counterpart yet, sure try to run
              them with Wine/Cross Over Office/WineX. For example, I switched my
              brother-in-law, who is a photographer, to Linux a few months ago.
              Before that he had NO experience with Linux. After the first week he
              actually *enjoyed* Linux more. He ditched all of the MS Windows based
              applications for Linux based one. The only MS Windows based application
              he still uses is Phtotoshop 7 under Cross Over Office because that is
              considered the "industry standard" for most photographers and he is not
              ready to replace that with Gimp. Other then that, he uses,
              MozillaFirebird, Open Office 1.1, giFT (to replace kazza), Evolution to
              replace Outlook, etc.

              Don't let me discourage you from trying to get your MS Windows based
              applications to run under Linux, I just think you might enjoy learning
              to use the Linux replacements for most of those apps, and use Cross Over
              Office/WineX/Wine for those MS Windows based applications that you
              cannot find a Linux counterpart.

              Best,

              Jim Drabb
              "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
              to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it"
              -- Scott Granneman
              James Drabb JR
              Senior Programmer Analyst
              Darden Restaurants
              JDrabb at Darden dot com
            • David King
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                Main software I use in Windows: Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
                Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver

                I have used Gimp, not a bad image manipulation program, but I would
                still need Photoshop.

                Or maybe I should get a Mac? I read that one day Mac OS X could be
                available for the PC, being based on Unix.

                Thanks for your input

                David K

                James Drabb wrote:

                >David,
                >
                >I understand your point, and that is the point that many people make.
                >However, would you try to put 36" (91.44cm) truck tires on a small
                >compact car? It may work, however it would take a lot of retrofitting
                >and not be the best solution. By trying to run MS Windows based
                >applications under Linux, this is what you are doing. You may get them
                >to run, but you most likely will have problems along the way. I
                >personally recommend that you try to *replace* any MS Windows specif
                >applications with similar ones in Linux. For those MS Windows
                >applications that do not have a Linux counterpart yet, sure try to run
                >them with Wine/Cross Over Office/WineX. For example, I switched my
                >brother-in-law, who is a photographer, to Linux a few months ago.
                >Before that he had NO experience with Linux. After the first week he
                >actually *enjoyed* Linux more. He ditched all of the MS Windows based
                >applications for Linux based one. The only MS Windows based application
                >he still uses is Phtotoshop 7 under Cross Over Office because that is
                >considered the "industry standard" for most photographers and he is not
                >ready to replace that with Gimp. Other then that, he uses,
                >MozillaFirebird, Open Office 1.1, giFT (to replace kazza), Evolution to
                >replace Outlook, etc.
                >
                >Don't let me discourage you from trying to get your MS Windows based
                >applications to run under Linux, I just think you might enjoy learning
                >to use the Linux replacements for most of those apps, and use Cross Over
                >Office/WineX/Wine for those MS Windows based applications that you
                >cannot find a Linux counterpart.
                >
                >Best,
                >
                >Jim Drabb

              • James Drabb
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                  On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 13:40, David King wrote:
                  > Main software I use in Windows: Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
                  > Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver
                  >
                  > I have used Gimp, not a bad image manipulation program, but I would
                  > still need Photoshop.
                  >
                  > Or maybe I should get a Mac? I read that one day Mac OS X could be
                  > available for the PC, being based on Unix.
                  >
                  > Thanks for your input
                  >
                  > David K

                  I know that photoshop 7 works very good under Cross Over Office
                  along with MS Office. I am pretty sure that DreamWeaver does not work
                  from what I have heard, though it is worth a try : )
                  You should email Macromedia and Adobe and tell them that you want a
                  native Linux port. The more customers they have that suggest it, the
                  more likely they will do it.

                  Jim Drabb
                  "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
                  to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it"
                  -- Scott Granneman SecurityFocus columnist
                  James Drabb JR
                  Senior Programmer Analyst
                  Darden Restaurants
                  JDrabb at Darden dot com