Re: crossover office setup

  • Luciano ES
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      Oops, sorry, you were talking about Xandros and I was thinking
      about CodeWeaver.

      At any rate, Xandros should provide you with some support. If
      they refuse to help you with that problem, then please let us know so
      we will *not* ever buy it...

      Luciano ES
      Santos, SP - Brasil
    • Luciano ES
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Luciano ES" wrote:
        > Oops, sorry, you were talking about Xandros and I was thinking
        > about CodeWeaver.
        > At any rate, Xandros should provide you with some support. If
        > they refuse to help you with that problem, then please let us know so
        > we will *not* ever buy it...

        Now read this gem and tell me if it makes any sense. No it
        doesn't, does it? That's because I had sent a message *before* this
        one and that didn't get through. I top-posted in the other one. I was
        very careful about trimming my quote, like I *always* do, but the
        moderator didn't care, the little prick, and deleted it. Neither was
        the little prick given any education at home, so I got no explanation
        or recommendation or whatever. He just was as rude as he could have
        been. What is worse, he didn't care that the second message was
        rendered meaningless. He didn't care that the person that submitted
        the question never got my answer. A very good example to prove that
        nazi netiquette enforcers are braindead. They act blindly like
        machines, not sensibly like you would expect from humans. Dear
        moderator, I hope you die in a car crash. If we weren't so far apart,
        I'd go up to your college dorm and teach you the good manners your
        parents didn't teach.

        I was surprised when I saw that a few people here really
        understand me. That is very comforting, especially because Jeff Lane
        put it so well. It would be nice to be in such good company, but I'll
        have to leave the list because I do not endure that kind of outrageous
        treatment. That's really bad, because learning to use Linux is not
        very easy. A lot worse with that kind of arrogance and lack of
        judgment. This time I am "I-grew-up-reading-comics-and-yakking-on-chat
        rooms-so-I-can-only-understand-ping-pong-style-dialogues" inline
        posting, in the hopes that the sphincter boy will not delete it, but I
        will not appease a stupid robot disguised in flesh. I'll go back to my
        freedom and dignity now.

        Luciano ES
        Santos, SP - Brasil
      • David King
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
          Xandros are a bit slow sometimes with responses to tech support queries,
          although they have acknowledged receipt of my email.
          BTW, I know this is the RedHat group, but the Xandros group on Yahoo
          seems to be dead, and this group is very active, and Codeweavers
          crossover runs on any Linux, AFAIK.

          David K

          Luciano ES wrote:

          > Oops, sorry, you were talking about Xandros and I was thinking
          >about CodeWeaver.
          >
          > At any rate, Xandros should provide you with some support. If
          >they refuse to help you with that problem, then please let us know so
          >we will *not* ever buy it...
          >

          > Luciano ES
          > Santos, SP - Brasil

        • James Drabb
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003

            <snip type="pure crap" />

            Man what a selfish idiot. I guess the time put into this list by
            everyone
            here is not important, only Luciano and his/her time matters?
            Kick this sh*t head off the list, this list works pretty well for 2,000+
            users, let us not let one bone-head spoil it.

            Here is a novel idea, why doesn't he go to an MS list and *demand* that
            the people there help him on *his* terms and not theirs and see how
            much help he gets.

            > Luciano ES
            > Santos, SP - Brasil

            Jim Drabb
            The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
            So, I installed LINUX!
            James Drabb JR
            Senior Programmer Analyst
            Darden Restaurants
            Business Systems
            JDrabb at Darden dot com
          • David King
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
              Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
              deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
              used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
              Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
              When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
              think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
              maybe that's why it worked okay.

              However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
              paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
              there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
              operation.

              David K

              Jim Drabb wrote:

              >On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 18:49, David King wrote:
              >

              >>I am trying to get the Crossover Office setup program to install MS Office 97 in
              >>my Linux installation.
              >>I successfully installed Internet Explorer 5.5 with it, but when I tried to
              >>install Office, I got an error message near the end of the installation saying it
              >>could not register a DLL file, and even though the installation completed (as far
              >>as the Office setup prog was concerned) the Crossover office setup prog would not
              >>complete the install. So I closed it, reopened it, and Office is now listed as
              >>being installed. I found the .exe files in the fake windows directory, and tried
              >>to run winword.exe and other .exe files, but nothing works.
              >>

              >How are you trying to run the .exe files? You need to run them through
              >wine since they are not Linux executable programs.
              >

              >>In Crossover office setup, the Office program is listed as installed, and even
              >>when I click on Remove with it highlighted, it will not remove it.
              >>
              >>What can I do to remove Office 97 completely and then reinstall it?
              >>
              >>I am using Xandros 1.0
              >>
              >>David King
              >>

              >Have you tried a newer version of MS Office? I am pretty sure that the
              >CrossOver site says that the latest version of CrossOver supports MS
              >Office 2000/xp. My brother-in-law is using it with MS Office 2000 and
              >Photoshop 7 with no problems. To uninstall, you can just delete the
              >directory that CrossOver office installed in your home directory and
              >reinstall CrossOver Office and then try a newer version of MS Office.
              >
              >P.S. As a customer who purchased the software, you are entitled to
              >support. Did you try to contact CodeWeavers about the problem? They
              >are pretty darn helpful.
              >
              >Jim Drabb

            • James Drabb
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
                *On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:21, David King wrote:
                > Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
                > deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
                > used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
                > Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
                > When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
                > think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
                > maybe that's why it worked okay.
                >
                > However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
                > paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
                > there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
                > operation.
                >
                > David K

                D you *need* to use MS Office? Open Office just hit version 1.1 and IMO
                is much better then MS Office. It also runs natively under Linux. It
                can handle just about any MS Office doc you throw at it. It also has
                some cool features that are *not* in MS Office, like the ability to
                export a document to PDF. Open Office also lets export a presentation
                to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser. You just click on
                the flash presentation and it will go to the next slide. Give it a try,
                www.openoffice.org. Make sure to get version 1.1 and *not* the 1.0.x
                versions. Version 1.1 starts up SOOOO much faster and has the newer
                features.

                Jim Drabb
                --
                James Drabb
                Senior Programmer Analyst
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                  And Thus Spake James Drabb <jdrabb@...> (on Tue, 07 Oct 2003
                  18:43:04 -0400):

                  > Open Office also lets export a presentation
                  > to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser.

                  Now that *is* cool - I wasn't aware of that one! In fact I have a use for
                  just that in the near future...

                  --
                  G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                  Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                    I was trying to paste some text from a webpage into a document in Open
                    Office and Open Office refused to paste it, saying it was not in the
                    right format, so I wanted to see if it would work in MS Office, but it
                    refused also. I can paste text into a text editor though, but then it
                    loses all the formatting.

                    I know that Open Office is good, and that I don't necessarily need to
                    run MS OFfice in Linux, but, I really would like to move to Linux
                    instead of Windows and run all my Windows software in Linux, so getting
                    MS Office to work is the first step in that.

                    David K

                    James Drabb wrote:

                    >*On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 15:21, David King wrote:
                    >

                    >>Thanks for the useful advice. I managed to get it working today. I
                    >>deleted the MS Office directory in the fake_windows directory, and then
                    >>used the Crossover Office setup and selected Repair, inserted the MS
                    >>Office 97 CD rom and it installed all over again and worked.
                    >>When I installed it the first time I recall an error about a DLL I
                    >>think. I chose less options in the setup program of Office this time, so
                    >>maybe that's why it worked okay.
                    >>
                    >>However, there is a problem when I use MS Word in Linux, when I try to
                    >>paste info from another program, eg. web page, MS Office complains that
                    >>there is insufficient memory or disk space to complete the requested
                    >>operation.
                    >>
                    >>David K
                    >>

                    >D you *need* to use MS Office? Open Office just hit version 1.1 and IMO
                    >is much better then MS Office. It also runs natively under Linux. It
                    >can handle just about any MS Office doc you throw at it. It also has
                    >some cool features that are *not* in MS Office, like the ability to
                    >export a document to PDF. Open Office also lets export a presentation
                    >to Macro Media Flash and view it from a web browser. You just click on
                    >the flash presentation and it will go to the next slide. Give it a try,
                    >www.openoffice.org. Make sure to get version 1.1 and *not* the 1.0.x
                    >versions. Version 1.1 starts up SOOOO much faster and has the newer
                    >features.
                    >
                    >Jim Drabb

                  • James Drabb
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                      On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 06:59, David King wrote:
                      > I was trying to paste some text from a webpage into a document in Open
                      > Office and Open Office refused to paste it, saying it was not in the
                      > right format, so I wanted to see if it would work in MS Office, but it
                      > refused also. I can paste text into a text editor though, but then it
                      > loses all the formatting.
                      >
                      > I know that Open Office is good, and that I don't necessarily need to
                      > run MS OFfice in Linux, but, I really would like to move to Linux
                      > instead of Windows and run all my Windows software in Linux, so getting
                      > MS Office to work is the first step in that.
                      >
                      > David K

                      David,

                      I understand your point, and that is the point that many people make.
                      However, would you try to put 36" (91.44cm) truck tires on a small
                      compact car? It may work, however it would take a lot of retrofitting
                      and not be the best solution. By trying to run MS Windows based
                      applications under Linux, this is what you are doing. You may get them
                      to run, but you most likely will have problems along the way. I
                      personally recommend that you try to *replace* any MS Windows specif
                      applications with similar ones in Linux. For those MS Windows
                      applications that do not have a Linux counterpart yet, sure try to run
                      them with Wine/Cross Over Office/WineX. For example, I switched my
                      brother-in-law, who is a photographer, to Linux a few months ago.
                      Before that he had NO experience with Linux. After the first week he
                      actually *enjoyed* Linux more. He ditched all of the MS Windows based
                      applications for Linux based one. The only MS Windows based application
                      he still uses is Phtotoshop 7 under Cross Over Office because that is
                      considered the "industry standard" for most photographers and he is not
                      ready to replace that with Gimp. Other then that, he uses,
                      MozillaFirebird, Open Office 1.1, giFT (to replace kazza), Evolution to
                      replace Outlook, etc.

                      Don't let me discourage you from trying to get your MS Windows based
                      applications to run under Linux, I just think you might enjoy learning
                      to use the Linux replacements for most of those apps, and use Cross Over
                      Office/WineX/Wine for those MS Windows based applications that you
                      cannot find a Linux counterpart.

                      Best,

                      Jim Drabb
                      "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
                      to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it"
                      -- Scott Granneman
                      James Drabb JR
                      Senior Programmer Analyst
                      Darden Restaurants
                      JDrabb at Darden dot com
                    • David King
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                        Main software I use in Windows: Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
                        Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver

                        I have used Gimp, not a bad image manipulation program, but I would
                        still need Photoshop.

                        Or maybe I should get a Mac? I read that one day Mac OS X could be
                        available for the PC, being based on Unix.

                        Thanks for your input

                        David K

                        James Drabb wrote:

                        >David,
                        >
                        >I understand your point, and that is the point that many people make.
                        >However, would you try to put 36" (91.44cm) truck tires on a small
                        >compact car? It may work, however it would take a lot of retrofitting
                        >and not be the best solution. By trying to run MS Windows based
                        >applications under Linux, this is what you are doing. You may get them
                        >to run, but you most likely will have problems along the way. I
                        >personally recommend that you try to *replace* any MS Windows specif
                        >applications with similar ones in Linux. For those MS Windows
                        >applications that do not have a Linux counterpart yet, sure try to run
                        >them with Wine/Cross Over Office/WineX. For example, I switched my
                        >brother-in-law, who is a photographer, to Linux a few months ago.
                        >Before that he had NO experience with Linux. After the first week he
                        >actually *enjoyed* Linux more. He ditched all of the MS Windows based
                        >applications for Linux based one. The only MS Windows based application
                        >he still uses is Phtotoshop 7 under Cross Over Office because that is
                        >considered the "industry standard" for most photographers and he is not
                        >ready to replace that with Gimp. Other then that, he uses,
                        >MozillaFirebird, Open Office 1.1, giFT (to replace kazza), Evolution to
                        >replace Outlook, etc.
                        >
                        >Don't let me discourage you from trying to get your MS Windows based
                        >applications to run under Linux, I just think you might enjoy learning
                        >to use the Linux replacements for most of those apps, and use Cross Over
                        >Office/WineX/Wine for those MS Windows based applications that you
                        >cannot find a Linux counterpart.
                        >
                        >Best,
                        >
                        >Jim Drabb

                      • James Drabb
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2003
                          On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 13:40, David King wrote:
                          > Main software I use in Windows: Quark XPress, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
                          > Illustrator, Macromedia Dreamweaver
                          >
                          > I have used Gimp, not a bad image manipulation program, but I would
                          > still need Photoshop.
                          >
                          > Or maybe I should get a Mac? I read that one day Mac OS X could be
                          > available for the PC, being based on Unix.
                          >
                          > Thanks for your input
                          >
                          > David K

                          I know that photoshop 7 works very good under Cross Over Office
                          along with MS Office. I am pretty sure that DreamWeaver does not work
                          from what I have heard, though it is worth a try : )
                          You should email Macromedia and Adobe and tell them that you want a
                          native Linux port. The more customers they have that suggest it, the
                          more likely they will do it.

                          Jim Drabb
                          "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it;
                          to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it"
                          -- Scott Granneman SecurityFocus columnist
                          James Drabb JR
                          Senior Programmer Analyst
                          Darden Restaurants
                          JDrabb at Darden dot com