Re: [redhat] Newest RH Beta

  • dunkin690@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2003
      I tried to look for the beta at Redhat's site and no luck. Anyone who has
      the link to the RH 10 beta can please send me or post the link.

      Thanks,

      Louis

    • James Drabb
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-09-01 at 21:26, James Drabb wrote:
        > On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 21:42, dunkin690@... wrote:
        > > I tried to look for the beta at Redhat's site and no luck. Anyone who has
        > > the link to the RH 10 beta can please send me or post the link.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Louis
        >
        > The newest beta for Red Hat Advanced server 3.0 and Red hat Workstation
        > just came out. You can download the beta now. However, once it is no
        > longer beta you will have to purchase it if you want it, so it is best
        > to get it now.
        > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/taroon/en/iso/i386/
        <snip>

        > Jim Drabb

        OK, I have Red Hat Enterprise Workstation 3 beta installed on my laptop.
        The laptop has a 1.7GHz P4, 512MB PC2100, firewire, usb and a 20 GB 4200
        RPM hard drive.

        I have to say that Red Hat put some REAL nice speed improvements in this
        version of Red Hat 9. It basically is just like RH 9, except with some
        nice speedups. The kernel work with the new schedule, NPTL, etc and
        especially the newer ext3 really shows. On this laptop with RH 9,
        hdparm -Tt /dev/hda would put out something like:

        root@keelie$ hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
        /dev/hda:
        Timing buffer-cache reads: 1352 MB in 2.00 seconds = 525.00 MB/sec
        Timing buffered disk reads: 66 MB in 3.40 seconds = 15.50 MB/sec

        On Red Hat WS 3 beta I get:
        root@keelie$ hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
        /dev/hda:
        Timing buffer-cache reads: 1536 MB in 2.00 seconds = 768.00 MB/sec
        Timing buffered disk reads: 66 MB in 3.02 seconds = 21.85 MB/sec

        This is just from installing the newer version with no hardware
        changes. Also, this laptop has a Radeon Mobility M7 LW [Radeon Mobility
        7500]. Under Red Hat 9 with glxgears I would get about 800 FPS in the
        default size. With Red Hat WS 3, I get about 1,033 FPS in the default
        size.

        Not too bad.

        Jim Drabb
        The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
        So, I installed LINUX!
        James Drabb JR
        Senior Programmer Analyst
        Davenport, FL USA
        gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 8C4CF29E
      • Scott Robbins
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2003
          On Sun, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:42:37PM -0400, dunkin690@... wrote:
          > I tried to look for the beta at Redhat's site and no luck. Anyone who has
          > the link to the RH 10 beta can please send me or post the link.

          Actually, just go to Downloads from the first page.

          From there, it takes you to a different page, and on the left hand side,
          there are various links--choose the one to mirrors. I got a good
          download time from a Canadian link.

          ftp://less.cogeco.net/pub/redhat/linux/beta/severn/en/iso/i386/

          HTH

          Gunn: Fair Cordelia. You still savin' my life?
          Cordelia: Every minute.
          Gunn: How's that workin' out?
          Cordelia: You're alive aren't you?
        • James Drabb
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2003
            On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 21:42, dunkin690@... wrote:
            > I tried to look for the beta at Redhat's site and no luck. Anyone who has
            > the link to the RH 10 beta can please send me or post the link.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Louis

            The newest beta for Red Hat Advanced server 3.0 and Red hat Workstation
            just came out. You can download the beta now. However, once it is no
            longer beta you will have to purchase it if you want it, so it is best
            to get it now.
            ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/taroon/en/iso/i386/

            I just downloaded it. There are 5 CD's. Three are data cd's and then
            there are two boot cd's. One is if you want AS the other is for WS.
            The features look pretty nice:
            - Kernel based on 2.4.21 with numerous scalability enhancements:
            * Native Posix Threading Library (NPTL)
            * Thread Local Storage & Futex APIs
            * Per-device locks for block IO
            * Memory management enhancements: RMAP VM & large pages support
            * O(1) scheduler
            * Hyperthreading scheduler
            * Integrated Summit chipset support
            * NFS performance & stability enhancements
            * Large Translation Buffer pages - hugetlbfs
            * Ext3 updates for performance and stability
            * Semtimedop – semaphores with time limitation
            * Fine-grain process accounting (x86 only)
            * ACPI 2.0 (Itanium2 & AMD64 only)
            * Many driver updates and additions
            - 4GB/4GB Kernel/User Memory Split (x86 bigmem kernel only)
            * Support for up to 64GB on x86
            * 4GB of virtual address space for kernel and almost 4GB for each
            user process on x86

            - Development Environment
            * gcc 3.2.3 tool chain
            * gcc "ssa" tool chain included as a technology preview
            * gcj / libgcj (Java gcc compiler front-end)
            * gdb 5.3.90 - including multi-threaded core dump and gcore
            * glibc 2.3.2
            * Eclipse 2.1 Developer Environment

            - Improved I/O subsystem
            * 64-bit SCSI/Fibre Channel DMA support
            * Up to 256 SCSI devices
            * VaryIO support (permits larger I/O transfers)
            * Serial ATA support - SATA1 (for Intel PIIX/ICH ATA ICH5)
            * Hotplug PCI framework (x86 and ia64 only)
            * Asynchronous I/O on sockets
            * Expanded Asynchronous I/O for disks support

            - Desktop enhancements
            * XFree86 4.3.0
            * Bluecurve (tm) graphical user interface (Unified GNOME/KDE look
            and feel)
            * OpenOffice.org 1.0.2 office productivity suite
            * Ximian Evolution 1.4.3
            * Mozilla 1.4

            More can be read here:
            http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-beta-list/2003-July/msg00003.html

            The only difference I see between AS and WS is what arch's are
            supported. AS supports x86, ia64, x86_64, ppc, s390, s390x. While WS
            supports x86, ia64, x86_64.

            Jim Drabb
            The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
            So, I installed LINUX!
            James Drabb JR
            Senior Programmer Analyst
            Davenport, FL USA
            gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 8C4CF29E
          • grsgiri27
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 2, 2003
              Dear Mr. James Drabb,

              I am interested in installing RH AS beta. I request you to kinldy let
              me know the hw requirements and the steps to be followed after
              downloading the iso. I am a newbie for AS and also i have never used
              the iso directly, though i have installed rh from cd's directly.

              thank you in advance,
              -- seshagiri

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 3, 2003
                On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 03:28, grsgiri27 wrote:
                > Dear Mr. James Drabb,
                >
                > I am interested in installing RH AS beta. I request you to kinldy let
                > me know the hw requirements and the steps to be followed after
                > downloading the iso. I am a newbie for AS and also i have never used
                > the iso directly, though i have installed rh from cd's directly.
                >
                > thank you in advance,
                > -- seshagiri

                The ISO images can be burned to a CD. Use your favorite CD burning
                software to burn them.

                Is there any info for burning CD's on the list FAQ?

                As far as the hardware requirements. Go to www.redhat.com and
                look it up, all the information you will need is there.

                Jim Drabb
                The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
                So, I installed LINUX!
                James Drabb JR
                Senior Programmer Analyst
                Darden Restaurants
                Business Systems
                JDrabb at Darden dot com
              • mebarrypeters
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                  Jim,

                  I read your message "Newest RH Beta" with great interest, especially
                  the apparent improvements in disk sub-system performance. I recently
                  performed a clean install of Red Hat 9 Workstation, and although
                  hdparm indicated that my UDMA5 disks were recognized and configured
                  optimally, I noted a degree of latency that disappointed me somewhat.

                  I have a few questions that I hope you or one of our members can help
                  me with:

                  1. To install the RH 10 beta, do you recommend that I do a clean
                  install or should I upgrade from version 9? Do I have a choice?

                  2. I'm not certain I understand your comment, "...once it is no longer
                  beta you will have to purchase it if you want it, so it is best to get
                  it now." Are you saying that once it's no longer beta, free downloads
                  will no longer be possible for Red Hat 10 WS? My understanding is
                  that Red Hat 10 AS is the only version that must be purchased i.e. RH
                  10 WS can always be downloaded free of charge.

                  3. Lastly, what will moving to the RH 10 beta version do to my current
                  demo entitlement for RH 9 WS? Is there such a thing as entitlements
                  for beta versions? Should I create a new entitlement for RH 10 beta
                  and then deactivate my RH 9 entitlement?

                  Thanks very much,
                  Barry

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                    On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 12:20, mebarrypeters wrote:
                    > Jim,
                    >
                    > I read your message "Newest RH Beta" with great interest, especially
                    > the apparent improvements in disk sub-system performance. I recently
                    > performed a clean install of Red Hat 9 Workstation, and although
                    > hdparm indicated that my UDMA5 disks were recognized and configured
                    > optimally, I noted a degree of latency that disappointed me somewhat.

                    What do you get from these two commands:

                    hdparm /dev/hda
                    hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

                    Also, you should edit the file /etc/sysconfig/harddisks and make sure
                    you have these values in there:

                    USE_DMA=1
                    MULTIPLE_IO=16
                    EIDE_32BIT=3

                    > I have a few questions that I hope you or one of our members can help
                    > me with:
                    >
                    > 1. To install the RH 10 beta, do you recommend that I do a clean
                    > install or should I upgrade from version 9? Do I have a choice?

                    You can do which ever you choose to. Though I have never tried an
                    update to verify if it goes smoothly or not.

                    > 2. I'm not certain I understand your comment, "...once it is no longer
                    > beta you will have to purchase it if you want it, so it is best to get
                    > it now." Are you saying that once it's no longer beta, free downloads
                    > will no longer be possible for Red Hat 10 WS? My understanding is
                    > that Red Hat 10 AS is the only version that must be purchased i.e. RH
                    > 10 WS can always be downloaded free of charge.

                    There are two different product lines. Red Hat Linux 8, 9, 10 are the
                    desktop oriented versions. The one I was talking about is Red Hat
                    Enterprise Linux 3 Beta codenamed taroon. It is a different product and
                    you can only download it while it is in beta. The one you are using is
                    Red Hat 10 codename severn. The desktop versions will always be free to
                    download. Red Hat has just changed the development process to be
                    community supported. However, they still have the Enterprise oriented
                    versions that are currently at 2.1 with 3 being the beta. There is no
                    Red Hat AS or WS 10. You can download Red Hat Enterprise Linux, though
                    it is source code only with no ISO's, so you would have to do a lot of
                    compiling.

                    > 3. Lastly, what will moving to the RH 10 beta version do to my current
                    > demo entitlement for RH 9 WS? Is there such a thing as entitlements
                    > for beta versions? Should I create a new entitlement for RH 10 beta
                    > and then deactivate my RH 9 entitlement?

                    You can delete the RH 9 system from rhn.redhat.com and then when you
                    register the new install, it will register with the RHN network for you
                    and also pick the right "channel" to subscribe to.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 13, 2003
                      Jim,

                      Thanks for clarifying the contents of:
                      ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/taroon/en/iso/i386/

                      To further clarify, I have not looked at or contemplated installing
                      Red Hat 10 (codename severn). My problem was that I misunderstood the
                      contents of the taroon FTP folder, thinking that it offered
                      "Workstation" and "Advanced Server" .ISO versions of Red Hat 10. I
                      understand now that these are Workstation and Advanced Server versions
                      of Enterprise Linux 3.0. That being said, my next step is to research
                      the functionality of the Workstation Enterprise 3.0 version versus my
                      current Red Hat 9.0 Workstation, to determine whether I want to go the
                      Enterprise route.

                      You asked:

                      > What do you get from these two commands:
                      >
                      > hdparm /dev/hda
                      > hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

                      Here is what I get from hdparm /dev/hda:
                      multcount = 16 (on)
                      IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
                      unmaskirq = 1 (on)
                      using_dma = 1 (on)
                      keepsettings = 0 (off)
                      readonly = 0 (off)
                      readahead = 8 (on)
                      geometry = 5005/255/63, sectors = 80418240, start = 0

                      Here is what I get from hdparm -Tt /dev/hda:
                      Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.72 seconds =177.78 MB/sec
                      Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.70 seconds = 37.65 MB/sec

                      Based on your recommendations, the only room for improvement that I
                      can see is to set EIDE_32BIT=3. It's already at 32 bits however, as
                      the IO_support value of "1 (32-bit)" indicates.

                      Curiously, I haven't yet been able to find any information that
                      explains what the synchronous algorithm is in the "3" setting that
                      offers a performance advantage over the "1" setting. The "man hdparm"
                      page only confirms that "3" is a special sync sequence required by
                      many chipsets (but with slightly more overhead.) As well, I saw a
                      reference at one web site to a 32-bit "async" setting--however no
                      explanation was provided to enable such a setting. Have you come
                      across this?

                      But I digress. Just for fun I tried the 32-bit mode w/sync setting,
                      using:
                      hdparm -c3 /dev/hda
                      Then I ran hdparm -Tt /dev/hda again:
                      Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.71 seconds =180.28 MB/sec
                      Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.68 seconds = 38.10 MB/sec

                      In spite of an incremental gain, my Timing buffer-cache reads are
                      still sorrowfully slow. I should also note that I've duplicated these
                      results in Single-User Mode *and* regular Mode, with a variance of
                      less than 2% between the two.

                      Here is some additional information, provided by the output of hdparm
                      -i /dev/hda:
                      Model=IC35L040AVER07-0, FwRev=ER4OA44A, SerialNo=SXYTXN39713
                      Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs }
                      RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=40
                      BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=1916kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=16
                      CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes, LBAsects=80418240
                      IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
                      PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
                      DMA modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2
                      UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
                      AdvancedPM=yes: disabled (255) WriteCache=enabled
                      Drive conforms to: ATA/ATAPI-5 T13 1321D revision 1: 2 3 4 5

                      Any ideas how I may still ratchet up my Timing buffer-cache reads to
                      levels comparable to your own?

                      Lastly, if a fresh installation of the Enterprise Linux 3.0
                      Workstation beta may provide gains in the 45% range over Red Hat 9
                      like you achieved, I'm all for it. However, I'm still left with an
                      I/O bottleneck that leaves me crying in my Corn Flakes. :^(

                      Any suggestions are welcome.

                      Thank you,

                    • Destan YILANCI
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                        Hi everyone,

                        When i entered the command "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
                        it gives a warning message as
                        "Partition table entries are not in disk order"
                        Is this a problem that i must fix or something not important?
                        Can anyone help me?
                        Thank you all...

                        Destan YILANCI
                        Suleyman Demirel University
                        ISPARTA / TURKEY

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                          And Thus Spake Destan YILANCI <destan@...> (on 14 Sep 2003 12:07:16
                          +0300):

                          > When i entered the command "fdisk -l /dev/hda"
                          > it gives a warning message as
                          > "Partition table entries are not in disk order"
                          > Is this a problem that i must fix or something not important?

                          1) It's nothing important as far as Linux is concerned. fdisk is complaining
                          about it merely because it's "untidy" but can handle the situation
                          gracefully. I don't know how Windows reacts to this.

                          2) Please don't simply reply to someone else's message and change the
                          subject line. This is not enough to create a new thread. This is mentioned
                          in the group's FAQ that you were supposed to read:

                          http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/linfaq.html#netiquette

                          --
                          G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                          Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                            On Sat, 2003-09-13 at 22:46, mebarrypeters wrote:
                            > Jim,
                            >
                            > Thanks for clarifying the contents of:
                            > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/beta/taroon/en/iso/i386/
                            >
                            > Here is what I get from hdparm -Tt /dev/hda:
                            > Timing buffer-cache reads: 128 MB in 0.72 seconds =177.78 MB/sec
                            > Timing buffered disk reads: 64 MB in 1.70 seconds = 37.65 MB/sec

                            What type of memory do you have? My laptop has a slow 4200 RPM hard
                            drive with decent PC2100 memory. It looks like you are using SDRAM. If
                            so, you cannot expect good memory performance. Your buffered disk reads
                            are much faster then what I get on my laptop because of the slower RPM
                            of the smaller laptop hard drives. If you are not using a faster memory
                            like DDR, then I would not worry about it at all.

                            Running on two similar systems with the only real difference being SDRAM
                            vs DDR, you will see a nice difference in the buffer-cache reads.
                            So if you have SDRAM, don't expect much more then that, as that is about
                            what I get on my SDRAM based PC.

                            > Lastly, if a fresh installation of the Enterprise Linux 3.0
                            > Workstation beta may provide gains in the 45% range over Red Hat 9
                            > like you achieved, I'm all for it. However, I'm still left with an
                            > I/O bottleneck that leaves me crying in my Corn Flakes. :^(

                            I don't think you will get a 45% performance increase. I think for me
                            it had to do with the newer kernel having better support for my
                            hardware. The enterprise kernel also had the O(1) scheduler and low
                            latency patches applied that make a nice difference. In a few
                            weeks/months the stable 2.6 kernel will be out with very impressive
                            performance enhancements across the board. The Enterprise versions of
                            Red Hat just gives you a longer release cycle and 24x7 support for
                            around $170. So if you don't need that, then stick to Red Hat 9 and
                            upgrade to Red Hat 10 when it comes out. Soon after 10 is released, the
                            2.6 kernel SHOULD be out. Jump on that kernel as soon as you can.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                              And Thus Spake James Drabb <jdrabb@...> (on Sun, 14 Sep 2003
                              13:19:57 -0400):

                              > Soon after 10 is released, the 2.6 kernel SHOULD be out. Jump on that
                              > kernel as soon as you can.

                              Oddly enough, I have yet to get a 2.6 kernel to boot.

                              They're still in the "-test" phase so I'm not too surprised but I definitely
                              will be looking into this when 2.6.0 is officially released.

                              --
                              G. Stewart -- gstewart@... -- gstewart@...
                              Registered Linux user #284683 (Slackware 9.0)
                              And 1.1.81 is officially BugFree(tm), so if you receive any bug-reports
                              on it, you know they are just evil lies.
                              -- Linus Torvalds
                            • William Warren
                              Message 14 of 20 , Sep 14, 2003
                                hopefully they will get acpi properly working in the 2.6.x kernel..:)

                                --
                                May God Bless you and everything you touch.

                                My "foundation" verse:
                                Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
                              • mebarrypeters
                                Message 15 of 20 , Sep 19, 2003
                                  Jim,

                                  Yes, I'm running 768MB of PC133 once-fast-now-flatulent SDRAM on a
                                  866 Mhz PIII. No hope for the wretched. I'm still looking at kernel
                                  jumping, however, thanks to your endearing nuggets of knowledge.