Mitsumi Fx001d CD-ROM

  • Sriram Rajan
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi Folks,

      I would like to install RHL on a 486 with an old BIOS that does not have the option of booting from CD. The current CD-ROM mitsumi FX001D is not detected by the boot floppy so that I may proceed with installation from the CD. I understand the performace that can be expected from this system and would like to Any Suggestions-

      I have considered the following options:
      1. Upgrading the BIOS to boot from CD, have to check if this is possible
      2. Using a floppy with Linux MCD cd-rom driver or the source code for the same.

      Thank you.

      Sriram

      redhat@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      To post to the redhat group, send your post to redhat@yahoogroups.com
      To reach the moderators, email to redhat-owner@yahoogroups.com

      There are 8 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card
      From: "Anthony Gunia"
      2. Re: NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card
      From: "Paul Grenyer"

      3. Problem mounting smb share at boot (no route to host)
      From: "gaijin_punch"
      4. swap
      From: Mohamed Aly
      5. Jakarta-tomcat?
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      6. IPTable logs
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      7. RE: backups
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      8. Re: swap
      From: James Drabb

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 13:08:55 -0500
      From: "Anthony Gunia"
      Subject: Re: NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card

      Hi,

      Here is a link that will help you:

      http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-user/2002-November/008413.html

      Red Hat really sucks at this, as each time you download a new kernel, you have to also download the Prism drivers for this kernel to get the card to work. I've found SuSE 8.2 MUCH better at dealing with this card. You might want to give it a try. Good luck!

      Anthony

      >>> pjgrenyer@... 08/03/03 03:54 AM >>>
      Hi All

      I've picked up a NETGEAR MA401 Wireless PC Card (It was cheap) and I want to
      use it with Red Hat 9.0 on my new (mesh) laptop.

      It's not listed in the HCL on the Red Hat site, but there are Red Hat 7.3
      drivers on the NETGEAR site. I've downloaded them, built and installed them
      as per the instructions, but now I'm lost. I don't know how to get the card
      working.

      Can anyone give me any pointers, please?

      Alternatively, can anyone recommend a good cheep wireless PCMCIA card?

      Regards
      Paul

      Paul Grenyer
      Email: pjgrenyer@...
      Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

      To post to the redhat group, send your post to redhat@yahoogroups.com
      To reach the moderators, email to redhat-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 19:32:14 +0100
      From: "Paul Grenyer"

      Hi

      > Here is a link that will help you:

      http://lists.linux-wlan.com/pipermail/linux-wlan-user/2002-November/008413.h
      tml

      Looks good - thanks!

      > Red Hat really sucks at this, as each time you download a new kernel, you
      have to also
      > download the Prism drivers for this kernel to get the card to work. I've
      found SuSE 8.2
      > MUCH better at dealing with this card. You might want to give it a try.
      Good luck!

      I'll do that first, thanks!

      Regards
      Paul

      Paul Grenyer
      Email: pjgrenyer@...
      Web: http://www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

      Message: 3
      Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 08:04:45 -0000
      From: "gaijin_punch"
      Subject: Problem mounting smb share at boot (no route to host)

      As the title says, I've got the following problem.

      My fstab is definitely set up right (it works on one machine, but not
      the other).

      After I boot, I can ping/ssh the samba server, but /var/log/messages says:

      Aug 4 17:22:23 nodename mount: Error connecting to 192.168.x.x (No
      route to host)
      Aug 4 17:22:23 nodename mount: 663: Connection to "server" failed
      Aug 4 17:22:23 nodename mount: SMB connection failed

      It's definitely in the hosts file.

      Everything else I can think of is the same on both machines.
      /etc/init.d/netfs was the same.

      Any ideas?

      Message: 4
      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:02:34 +0300
      From: Mohamed Aly
      Subject: swap

      how can i create file and add swap to it

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:37:05 +0200
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      Subject: Jakarta-tomcat?

      Hey guys,

      I know this is the wrong forum to ask for this, but if you could maybe
      either help me, or point me?

      I have posted a request on one of the tomcat mailing-lists, but no help.

      Need to know where I can find docs to help a complete newbies to Jakarta
      setup sites, and all the relevant info.

      Regards
      Werner vd Merwe
      SAICOM Cpt
      Linux user #322423

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:43:36 +0200
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      Subject: IPTable logs

      Hi guys,

      I have set up an IPTable firewall, and all works great, no problem, but out
      of interest, in the /var/log/messages log, the following line is often
      encountered.

      Eth1 is internal, and I have went through every pc on the internal LAN
      looking for 192.168.0.10 in an alternate config, without success. The other
      address (169�) is very similar to un unassigned IP in Windows?

      Aug 3 03:49:49 Firewall kernel: martian source 192.168.0.10 from
      169.254.228.16, on dev eth1
      Aug 3 03:49:49 Firewall kernel: ll header:
      00:07:e9:d5:54:93:00:30:6e:2c:5b:56:08:00

      Obviously this is not a big issue, but would like to keep the logs relevant,
      and also out of curiosity.

      Regards
      Werner vd Merwe
      SAICOM Cpt
      Linux user #322423

      Message: 7
      Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:56:56 +0200
      From: "Werner vd Merwe"
      Subject: RE: backups

      Half on and half off the topic :-)

      I normally use dump to do backups, would you recommend doing a tar of the
      folders rather, or is it 6 of one and half a dozen of the other?

      Regards
      Werner vd Merwe
      SAICOM Cpt
      Linux user #322423

      Date: 04 Aug 2003 10:34:25 -0400
      From: James Drabb
      Subject: Re: swap

      On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 07:02, Mohamed Aly wrote:
      > how can i create file and add swap to it

      First create an empty file with dd:
      dd if=/dev/zero of=temp.swp bs=1024 count=1024
      This would make a 1MB file, change it to the count
      for the size of the file you want. If you want a 128 MB
      file, then use (1024 * 128), always use a multiple of 1024.

      Now make it a swap file.
      mkswap -v1 temp.swp

      Now you can add it to your swap space:
      swapon temp.swp

      The above command needs to be ran as root.
      You can leave the swap file and add the above line
      to your startup scripts to mount the swap file at boot time
      if you like.

      Jim Drabb
      The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
      So, I installed LINUX!
      James Drabb JR
      Programmer Analyst
      Davenport, FL USA
      gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 8C4CF29E

      Sriram Rajan , CCNA, Sun Solaris 8 certified System Administrator
      Graduate Student in Computer Engineering,
      Assistant Unix System Administrator, Aerospace Engineering
      Mississippi State University.
      Home page : http://www.ece.msstate.edu/~sr153