Re: [redhat] Help

  • Brandon Penglase
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2001
      You might have to recompile the kernel with built in RAID control, this way
      it starts the raid controler and can then get to the root filesystem on
      linux. I haven't played much with RAID, but I'm looking into it for my next
      server. I'm guess this might be your problem. But if you can't boot into
      linux to recompile it, try sticking the / on the first HDD and then the
      other partitions on the other drives.

      Brandon Penglase

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
        Do any of you folks know if adsl usb modems will work in linux? I am
        considering getting rid of my cable modem and going to adsl. The cable modem
        people here are seriously overloaded, and at night my speed is barely above
        dialup speeds. Robert
      • aaron
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2001
          Previously, Robert Boggs typed into the ether:
          > Do any of you folks know if adsl usb modems will work in linux? I am
          > considering getting rid of my cable modem and going to adsl. The cable modem
          > people here are seriously overloaded, and at night my speed is barely above
          > dialup speeds. Robert

          Haven't checked in the past few months, but I did not notice any supported
          USB<>DSL modems back when I was reading all the ADSL How-To's. At the time
          I didn't see any Internal DSL modems being supported either.

          TTBOMK, most DSL providers are still providing EtherNet connected modems
          with their service. If they are pushing USB modems, it would definitely
          be worth your requesting one of the more flexible EtherNet DSL interfaces.

          hope the input helps

          peace (after justice)
          aaron
        • Jeff Lane
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
            On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, aaron wrote:

            > Previously, Robert Boggs typed into the ether:
            > > Do any of you folks know if adsl usb modems will work in linux? I am
            > > considering getting rid of my cable modem and going to adsl. The cable modem
            > > people here are seriously overloaded, and at night my speed is barely above
            > > dialup speeds. Robert
            >
            > Haven't checked in the past few months, but I did not notice any supported
            > USB<>DSL modems back when I was reading all the ADSL How-To's. At the time
            > I didn't see any Internal DSL modems being supported either.
            >
            > TTBOMK, most DSL providers are still providing EtherNet connected modems
            > with their service. If they are pushing USB modems, it would definitely
            > be worth your requesting one of the more flexible EtherNet DSL interfaces.

            Try www.linux-usb.org

            THey generally keep the most up to date list of supported USB stuff...
          • SkyNetworking
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5, 2001
              Hi, I havent used ADSL, but a couple of days when I checked my pppo scripts
              I found the file pppoe.conf this file claims to be the config for an ADSL
              modem. It looks like the main config file, ISP domain, connection and so on.
              So, check it out. in Red Hat 7.0 it is in /etc/ppp
              I don't know it it helps you.
              (If not, try www.Linux.com, they might have a basic manual about ADSL and
              Linux.)

              Cu Skylinux

              > > Previously, Robert Boggs typed into the ether:
              > > > Do any of you folks know if adsl usb modems will work in linux? I am
              > > > considering getting rid of my cable modem and going to adsl. The cable
              modem
              > > > people here are seriously overloaded, and at night my speed is barely
              above
              > > > dialup speeds. Robert
              > >
              > > Haven't checked in the past few months, but I did not notice any
              supported
              > > USB<>DSL modems back when I was reading all the ADSL How-To's. At the
              time
              > > I didn't see any Internal DSL modems being supported either.
              > >
              > > TTBOMK, most DSL providers are still providing EtherNet connected modems
              > > with their service. If they are pushing USB modems, it would definitely
              > > be worth your requesting one of the more flexible EtherNet DSL
              interfaces.

              > Try www.linux-usb.org
              >
              > THey generally keep the most up to date list of supported USB stuff...
              >

              > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
              > a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
              > Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
              > http://www.egroups.com/.

            • Robert Boggs
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 21, 2001
                If someone would E-mail me privately at wormie@... with instructions
                of how to setup pane and fetchmail, or send me your Phone# I would
                appreciate it. I am legally blind, and I like pine because it is easy to
                read. Thanks Robert
              • tbrownlee_1999
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 21, 2002
                  I am new to this group and I want to know can I use my dsl conection
                  with Linux
                • Ajay Gautam
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2002
                    --- tbrownlee_1999 <tbrownlee_1999@...> wrote:
                    > I am new to this group and I want to know can I use
                    > my dsl conection
                    > with Linux

                    I used my friend's DSL connection (Verizon) with my
                    laptop running Mandrake Linux. She was so happy with
                    it, that she asked me to install Linux on her machine
                    :)

                    I guess, more or less, all DSL connections work with
                    Linux.

                    HTH

                    =====
                    Ajay Gautam
                    Tired of unwanted pop-up ads, try http://www.mozilla.org
                    http://ajaygautam.tripod.com/

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • Richard S. Crawford
                    Message 9 of 15 , Nov 21, 2002
                      Since DSL generally works through your network card, you should be able
                      to hook up to DSL as long as your network card is functioning properly.

                      Ajay Gautam wrote:
                      > --- tbrownlee_1999 <tbrownlee_1999@...> wrote:
                      >
                      >>I am new to this group and I want to know can I use
                      >>my dsl conection
                      >>with Linux
                      >

                      > I used my friend's DSL connection (Verizon) with my
                      > laptop running Mandrake Linux. She was so happy with
                      > it, that she asked me to install Linux on her machine
                      > :)
                      >
                      > I guess, more or less, all DSL connections work with
                      > Linux.
                      >
                      > HTH
                      >
                      > =====
                      > Ajay Gautam
                      > Registered Linux User #252843 http://counter.li.org
                      > Tired of unwanted pop-up ads, try http://www.mozilla.org
                      > http://ajaygautam.tripod.com/

                    • digalante3
                      Message 10 of 15 , Nov 25, 2002
                        It is actually alot easier (IMHO) to setup redhat to use DSL than it
                        is to use dialup. All of the versions of redhat I have ever used,
                        after 6.1, have auto recognized any NIC I've used (Kingston, 3com,
                        LinkSys). In redhat 8 there is a network connection utilitly that
                        makes it very easy to setup any PPoE account. If you really want the
                        easy way out, just install a local DSL router and enable DHCP. Not
                        only will this make it so that your DSL line will be connected
                        everytime you startup, it will make it easier once you decide that
                        you love linux so much that you setup dedicated file servers / mail
                        servers /etc...
                        Have fun.
                        Digalante
                        --------(Digalante@...)

                        --- In redhat@y..., "tbrownlee_1999" <tbrownlee_1999@y...> wrote:
                        > I am new to this group and I want to know can I use my dsl
                        conection
                        > with Linux
                      • venugopal
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                          hai dears,

                          My Name is Venugopal, just now joined to this group.

                          I'm using RH Linux 9.0....

                          how to make folder level authentication in Linux,

                          my intention is to prompt for user name & password if
                          anybody click on folder.

                          VG
                        • Alvin Maverick F. Cruz
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 22, 2005
                            [ Top posting corrected. Quoted material trimmed. Subject cleaned up.
                            People, please make a little effort to make your posts readable to everyone!
                            And Alvin, try to provide more info, such as a URL for htaccess doco.
                            - Moderator
                            ]

                            venugopal <venu2604@...> wrote:
                            > I'm using RH Linux 9.0....
                            > how to make folder level authentication in Linux,
                            > my intention is to prompt for user name & password
                            > if anybody click on folder.

                            Please use htaccess

                            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                            http://my.yahoo.com
                          • Jeff Lane
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                              On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:40:39 -0800 (PST), Alvin Maverick F. Cruz
                              <alvinmaverickfc@...> wrote:

                              > venugopal <venu2604@...> wrote:
                              > > I'm using RH Linux 9.0....
                              > > how to make folder level authentication in Linux,
                              > > my intention is to prompt for user name & password
                              > > if anybody click on folder.
                              >
                              > Please use htaccess

                              That doesnt work for filesystem level access though, does it? Works
                              fine for web servers, but what I got was that he was talking about the
                              actual filesystem...

                              jeff

                              --
                              ------------------> Jeffrey Lane - W4KDH <-------------------
                              www.jefflane.org

                              The internet has no government, no constitution, no laws, no
                              rights, no police, no courts. Don't talk about fairness or
                              innocence, and don't talk about what should be done. Instead,
                              talk about what is being done and what will be done by the
                              amorphous unreachable undefinable blob called "the internet
                              user base." -Paul Vixie
                            • muhammad sajid
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 23, 2005
                                [ Subject line cleaned up.
                                Top posting fixed.
                                Quoted material trimmed for relevance.
                                Muhammad, please take the small effort needed to do this in future!
                                - Moderator
                                ]

                                Jeff Lane <sundowner225@...> wrote:
                                > > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 00:40:39 -0800 (PST), Alvin Maverick F. Cruz <alvinmaverickfc@...> wrote:
                                > > venugopal <venu2604@...> wrote:
                                > > > I'm using RH Linux 9.0....
                                > > > how to make folder level authentication in Linux,
                                > > > my intention is to prompt for user name & password
                                > > > if anybody click on folder.
                                > >
                                > > Please use htaccess
                                >
                                > That doesnt work for filesystem level access though, does it? Works
                                > fine for web servers, but what I got was that he was talking about the
                                > actual filesystem...

                                jeff

                                -quite right u cannt impliment such thing on file system u can implement (RWX) permissions to OWNER, GROUP or OTHER

                                Regards

                                Muhammad Sajid