Re: [redhat] SCSI HDD Problem

  • Ralf Bauer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hi Ben...

      > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id is the drive at
      > and does the drive need a "start unit command" from the
      > host adapter? Most older adapters have a way to do the
      > latter (if needed) and if your CD initiator id is lower than
      > your HDD it could keep you from booting, I suggest
      > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.

      >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it has Windows
      >> 95 loaded on it.)

      Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)

      (Althought most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)

      But I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the devices
      like this... Or did you mention something different ? I mean If he can start
      from the harddisk in windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!

      Make it clear.

      Sincerely
    • Ben Gordon
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
        Is lilo installed in the MBR? or in the first cylinder of the Linux
        partition /dev/sdaX? or are you using lilo?

        Ben

        > > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id is the drive at
        > > and does the drive need a "start unit command" from the
        > > host adapter? Most older adapters have a way to do the
        > > latter (if needed) and if your CD initiator id is lower than
        > > your HDD it could keep you from booting, I suggest
        > > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.
        >
        > >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it has Windows
        > >> 95 loaded on it.)
        >
        > Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)
        >
        > (Althought most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)
        >
        > But I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the
        devices
        > like this... Or did you mention something different ? I mean If he can
        start
        > from the harddisk in windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!
        >
        > Make it clear.
        >
        > Sincerely
        >

        > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
        > a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
        > Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
        > http://www.egroups.com/.
      • Pretorian
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 8, 2001
          Re: [redhat] SCSI HDD Problem

          I just want to Thank everyone who responded. Your questions made me look at the problem in a different light and I was able to solve my issue.

          In any event, using the cat /proc/scsi/scsi I was able to determine that Linux was not seeing the drive whatsoever. I decided to invoke the module and its parameters at boot time, in this case: linux in2000=ioport:0x100 That seemed to init the adapter and linux was able to see my hard drive.

          Everything is up and running and now I have my stoarge server (yeah, it is nothing close to EMC, but hey....why not, right?)

          Again, thank to everyone who helped!

          Allan

          Is lilo installed in the MBR? or in the first cylinder of the Linux
          partition /dev/sdaX? or are you using lilo?

          Ben

          > > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id
          is the drive at
          > > and does the drive need a "start unit
          command" from the
          > > host adapter?  Most older
          adapters have a way to do the
          > > latter (if needed) and if
          your CD initiator id is lower than
          > > your HDD it could keep
          you from booting, I suggest
          > > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.
          >
          > >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it
          has Windows
          > >>  95 loaded on it.)

          Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)

          > (Althought
          most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)

          > But
          I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the
          devices
          > like this... Or did you mention something
          different ? I mean If he can
          start
          > from the harddisk in
          windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!

          > Make it
          clear.

          > Sincerely

          unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
          > a blank email
          to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
          > Alterntaively, you can
          unsubscribe yourself at