Re: [redhat] SCSI HDD Problem

  • Ralf Bauer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
      Hi Allen,

      well.. Err. Hum. Let's see..

      > The vendor of my adapter is an Always IN2000. Yeah, I know it is old,
      > but it works.

      Nothin wrong with it..

      > I am using the standard kernel. When I go through the installation
      > procedure (Menu Driven) using the boot disk, at the point in which the
      > program asks for the CD, I specify SCSI and the appropriate adapter, the
      > card gets querried, and the CD works fine.

      Ok. switch to a console. (Alt + F3 ?!?) Dunno which console settings do u
      have at that point..

      make a "cat /proc/scsi/scsi"

      What do you see ?

      After that make a

      "cat /proc/scsi/yourscsicardhere/0"

      If possible send the output..

      We need to get some more information about your situation. Wish I could sit
      in front of this thinggy.. :-)

      Sincerely
    • Ralf Bauer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
        Hi Ben...

        > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id is the drive at
        > and does the drive need a "start unit command" from the
        > host adapter? Most older adapters have a way to do the
        > latter (if needed) and if your CD initiator id is lower than
        > your HDD it could keep you from booting, I suggest
        > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.

        >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it has Windows
        >> 95 loaded on it.)

        Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)

        (Althought most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)

        But I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the devices
        like this... Or did you mention something different ? I mean If he can start
        from the harddisk in windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!

        Make it clear.

        Sincerely
      • Ben Gordon
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
          Is lilo installed in the MBR? or in the first cylinder of the Linux
          partition /dev/sdaX? or are you using lilo?

          Ben

          > > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id is the drive at
          > > and does the drive need a "start unit command" from the
          > > host adapter? Most older adapters have a way to do the
          > > latter (if needed) and if your CD initiator id is lower than
          > > your HDD it could keep you from booting, I suggest
          > > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.
          >
          > >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it has Windows
          > >> 95 loaded on it.)
          >
          > Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)
          >
          > (Althought most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)
          >
          > But I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the
          devices
          > like this... Or did you mention something different ? I mean If he can
          start
          > from the harddisk in windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!
          >
          > Make it clear.
          >
          > Sincerely
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
          > a blank email to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
          > Alterntaively, you can unsubscribe yourself at
          > http://www.egroups.com/.
        • Pretorian
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 8, 2001
            Re: [redhat] SCSI HDD Problem

            I just want to Thank everyone who responded. Your questions made me look at the problem in a different light and I was able to solve my issue.

            In any event, using the cat /proc/scsi/scsi I was able to determine that Linux was not seeing the drive whatsoever. I decided to invoke the module and its parameters at boot time, in this case: linux in2000=ioport:0x100 That seemed to init the adapter and linux was able to see my hard drive.

            Everything is up and running and now I have my stoarge server (yeah, it is nothing close to EMC, but hey....why not, right?)

            Again, thank to everyone who helped!

            Allan

            Is lilo installed in the MBR? or in the first cylinder of the Linux
            partition /dev/sdaX? or are you using lilo?

            Ben

            > > Hi, I've got a dumb question, what SCSI id
            is the drive at
            > > and does the drive need a "start unit
            command" from the
            > > host adapter?  Most older
            adapters have a way to do the
            > > latter (if needed) and if
            your CD initiator id is lower than
            > > your HDD it could keep
            you from booting, I suggest
            > > HDD 0, CD 4, Host 7.
            >
            > >> Here is the kicker....I can boot to the drive just fine (it
            has Windows
            > >>  95 loaded on it.)

            Sorry to mention that.. Probably not..:-)

            > (Althought
            most of the list now hates me for beeing arrogant)

            > But
            I agree to your answer... It is (was) really better to sort the
            devices
            > like this... Or did you mention something
            different ? I mean If he can
            start
            > from the harddisk in
            windows, there must be a problem in Linux ?!

            > Make it
            clear.

            > Sincerely

            unsubscribe from this mailing list, simply send
            > a blank email
            to redhat-unsubscribe@egroups.com.
            > Alterntaively, you can
            unsubscribe yourself at