Re: [redhat] Re: Developer Q

  • James Drabb
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
      On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:19:10 +0000
      linux_geek2002 <linux_geek2002@...> wrote:

      > > > is there any GUI development software in linux thats free of cost
      > > > ?
      > >
      > > It's almost all free of cost.
      > >
      > > What language were you interested in?
      > >
      > > C/C++ is handled by gcc (whould be installed already).
      > >
      > > Pascal can be used with FPC: http://www.freepascal.org/
      >
      > thanks for the reply.
      >
      > i was more specifically looking for a GUI tool. QT3 is good one, but
      > is it free of cost ?? They give a trial version for 30 days after
      > which one has to buy it (as far as i know).
      >
      > I will be trying out GTK+ though.

      QT comes with QTDesigner. You can use QT to build GPL'ed apps
      withouot cost. However, the winders version of QT costs money and
      I think it is a little expensive. For GTK+ use the newer gtk+2.x
      version it is much better then the 1.2.x versions. There is a nice
      gui builder called glade2 that will help build the GUI for a gtk+2.x
      app very similar to VB. Once you build the GUI framework, you then
      use your favorite editor to code the "guts" since glade does not
      have an editor, just a gui builder. There is also another excellent
      cross-platform C++ framework called wxWindows. It runs on winders,
      Linux and Mac. I am pretty sure there is also a gui builder.
      Take a look at http://www.wxwindows.org/

      Jim Drabb
      The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
      So, I installed LINUX!
      James Drabb JR
      Programmer Analyst
      Davneport, FL USA
      JDrabb at tampabay . rr . com
    • linux_geek2002
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        > QT comes with QTDesigner. You can use QT to build GPL'ed apps
        > withouot cost. However, the winders version of QT costs money and
        > I think it is a little expensive. For GTK+ use the newer gtk+2.x
        > version it is much better then the 1.2.x versions. There is a nice
        > gui builder called glade2 that will help build the GUI for a gtk+2.x
        > app very similar to VB. Once you build the GUI framework, you then
        > use your favorite editor to code the "guts" since glade does not
        > have an editor, just a gui builder. There is also another excellent
        > cross-platform C++ framework called wxWindows. It runs on winders,
        > Linux and Mac. I am pretty sure there is also a gui builder.
        > Take a look at http://www.wxwindows.org/

        ahh !! thz a zillion :^) just the thing i was looking for...