Re: Developer Q

  • linux_geek2002
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31 10:19 PM
      > > is there any GUI development software in linux thats free of cost ?
      >
      > It's almost all free of cost.
      >
      > What language were you interested in?
      >
      > C/C++ is handled by gcc (whould be installed already).
      >
      > Pascal can be used with FPC: http://www.freepascal.org/

      thanks for the reply.

      i was more specifically looking for a GUI tool. QT3 is good one, but
      is it free of cost ?? They give a trial version for 30 days after
      which one has to buy it (as far as i know).

      I will be trying out GTK+ though.
    • James Drabb
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
        On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:19:10 +0000
        linux_geek2002 <linux_geek2002@...> wrote:

        > > > is there any GUI development software in linux thats free of cost
        > > > ?
        > >
        > > It's almost all free of cost.
        > >
        > > What language were you interested in?
        > >
        > > C/C++ is handled by gcc (whould be installed already).
        > >
        > > Pascal can be used with FPC: http://www.freepascal.org/
        >
        > thanks for the reply.
        >
        > i was more specifically looking for a GUI tool. QT3 is good one, but
        > is it free of cost ?? They give a trial version for 30 days after
        > which one has to buy it (as far as i know).
        >
        > I will be trying out GTK+ though.

        QT comes with QTDesigner. You can use QT to build GPL'ed apps
        withouot cost. However, the winders version of QT costs money and
        I think it is a little expensive. For GTK+ use the newer gtk+2.x
        version it is much better then the 1.2.x versions. There is a nice
        gui builder called glade2 that will help build the GUI for a gtk+2.x
        app very similar to VB. Once you build the GUI framework, you then
        use your favorite editor to code the "guts" since glade does not
        have an editor, just a gui builder. There is also another excellent
        cross-platform C++ framework called wxWindows. It runs on winders,
        Linux and Mac. I am pretty sure there is also a gui builder.
        Take a look at http://www.wxwindows.org/

        Jim Drabb
        The box said: "Requires Windows 98/2000/XP/NT, or better."
        So, I installed LINUX!
        James Drabb JR
        Programmer Analyst
        Davneport, FL USA
        JDrabb at tampabay . rr . com
      • linux_geek2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2003
          > QT comes with QTDesigner. You can use QT to build GPL'ed apps
          > withouot cost. However, the winders version of QT costs money and
          > I think it is a little expensive. For GTK+ use the newer gtk+2.x
          > version it is much better then the 1.2.x versions. There is a nice
          > gui builder called glade2 that will help build the GUI for a gtk+2.x
          > app very similar to VB. Once you build the GUI framework, you then
          > use your favorite editor to code the "guts" since glade does not
          > have an editor, just a gui builder. There is also another excellent
          > cross-platform C++ framework called wxWindows. It runs on winders,
          > Linux and Mac. I am pretty sure there is also a gui builder.
          > Take a look at http://www.wxwindows.org/

          ahh !! thz a zillion :^) just the thing i was looking for...