Re: [redhat] How many cd's for 8.0

  • Narayanan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      if you go on with the basic installation u will need only 3 cd's(first 3)
      the other are optional.

      if am wrong please correct me.

      i actually tried downloading from the rutgers, NJ mirror site. i found it
      much faster than the other mirrror sites.

      narayanan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:44, Timothy M. Brauch wrote:
        > I am trying to download (though slowly, ~100Kbps) RHL 8.0. My
        > question is, how many CD's are there? From where I am downloading,
        > they offer 5 isos:
        >
        > Size: Date: Name:
        > --------- ------------ ---------------------
        > 675315712 Sep 10 16:48 psyche-i386-disc1.iso
        > 666271744 Sep 10 16:50 psyche-i386-disc2.iso
        > 677609472 Sep 10 16:51 psyche-i386-disc3.iso
        > 626262016 Sep 10 16:55 psyche-i386-disc4.iso
        > 679542784 Sep 10 16:59 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
        >
        > I am guessing one of these is the documentation CD. I guess two
        > (three?) are the actual installation CD's. And one for the source.
        >
        > Can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise? Or, can anyone let me know
        > which CD's are which?
        >
        > - Tim

        Just the first three. The other two are source rpm's.

        Jim Drabb
        James Drabb JR
        Programmer Analyst
        Davenport, FL
        JDrabb at tampabay dot rr dot com
      • Mohamed Aly
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
          just the first three
          but execuse me do u conceder 100kbps is very slow !!!! i downloaded all the
          five cds with just 30kbps or less ?

        • edgkenny <edgkenny@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 19, 2003
            --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy M. Brauch <tbrauch@y...>"
            <tbrauch@y...> wrote:
            > Size: Date: Name:
            > --------- ------------ ---------------------
            > 675315712 Sep 10 16:48 psyche-i386-disc1.iso
            > 666271744 Sep 10 16:50 psyche-i386-disc2.iso
            > 677609472 Sep 10 16:51 psyche-i386-disc3.iso
            > 626262016 Sep 10 16:55 psyche-i386-disc4.iso
            > 679542784 Sep 10 16:59 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
            >
            > I am guessing one of these is the documentation CD. I guess two
            > (three?) are the actual installation CD's. And one for the source.

            None of those disks is the documentation CD. The documentation CD is
            called psyche-docs.iso. It is only 59,136 KB in size.

            Red Hat Linux 8.0 Documentation CD Contents

            Official Red Hat Linux x86 Installation Guide
            Provides step-by-step instructions for installing Red Hat Linux, from
            gathering information about your system to booting Red Hat Linux for
            the first time.

            Official Red Hat Linux Getting Started Guide
            Explains what to do after installing Red Hat Linux. Learn how to
            manage files and directories, configure an email client, play audio
            CDs, and more.

            Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide
            Read about how to customize your Red Hat Linux system to fit your
            needs. Step-by-step guides, designed for a beginner or intermediate
            user, are available for setting up a network interface card,
            configuring NFS shares, configuring Samba shares, managing your
            software using RPM, and much more.

            Official Red Hat Linux Reference Guide
            --------------------------------------
            Contains background information and solutions for a variety of
            different issues, including the Red Hat Linux boot process, default
            user and group configurations and methods, and HTTPD directives.

            Official Red Hat Linux Security Guide
            -------------------------------------
            Provides comprehensive information about creating and maintaining
            secure Red Hat Linux systems. This guide discusses how to secure
            workstations and servers against malicious intruders, verify system
            security, detect security breaches, and react to an intrusion

            Maximum RPM
            This community-maintained book, originally published by Red Hat in
            1997, is an in-depth view of the RPM Package Manager.
          • thutmose dodd
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2003
              Last I heard its 6 cd's and will fit on one DVD.