Re: [redhat] How many cd's for 8.0

  • Narayanan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
      if you go on with the basic installation u will need only 3 cd's(first 3)
      the other are optional.

      if am wrong please correct me.

      i actually tried downloading from the rutgers, NJ mirror site. i found it
      much faster than the other mirrror sites.

      narayanan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003

        --------- ------------ ---------------------
        675315712 Sep 10 16:48 psyche-i386-disc1.iso
        666271744 Sep 10 16:50 psyche-i386-disc2.iso
        677609472 Sep 10 16:51 psyche-i386-disc3.iso
        626262016 Sep 10 16:55 psyche-i386-disc4.iso
        679542784 Sep 10 16:59 psyche-i386-disc5.iso

        I am guessing one of these is the documentation CD. I guess two
        (three?) are the actual installation CD's. And one for the source.

        Can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise? Or, can anyone let me know
        which CD's are which?

        - Tim
      • James Drabb
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2003
          On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 15:44, Timothy M. Brauch wrote:
          > I am trying to download (though slowly, ~100Kbps) RHL 8.0. My
          > question is, how many CD's are there? From where I am downloading,
          > they offer 5 isos:
          >
          > Size: Date: Name:
          > --------- ------------ ---------------------
          > 675315712 Sep 10 16:48 psyche-i386-disc1.iso
          > 666271744 Sep 10 16:50 psyche-i386-disc2.iso
          > 677609472 Sep 10 16:51 psyche-i386-disc3.iso
          > 626262016 Sep 10 16:55 psyche-i386-disc4.iso
          > 679542784 Sep 10 16:59 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
          >
          > I am guessing one of these is the documentation CD. I guess two
          > (three?) are the actual installation CD's. And one for the source.
          >
          > Can anybody confirm or tell me otherwise? Or, can anyone let me know
          > which CD's are which?
          >
          > - Tim

          Just the first three. The other two are source rpm's.

          Jim Drabb
          James Drabb JR
          Programmer Analyst
          Davenport, FL
          JDrabb at tampabay dot rr dot com
        • Mohamed Aly
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2003
            just the first three
            but execuse me do u conceder 100kbps is very slow !!!! i downloaded all the
            five cds with just 30kbps or less ?

          • edgkenny <edgkenny@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2003
              --- In redhat@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy M. Brauch <tbrauch@y...>"
              <tbrauch@y...> wrote:
              > Size: Date: Name:
              > --------- ------------ ---------------------
              > 675315712 Sep 10 16:48 psyche-i386-disc1.iso
              > 666271744 Sep 10 16:50 psyche-i386-disc2.iso
              > 677609472 Sep 10 16:51 psyche-i386-disc3.iso
              > 626262016 Sep 10 16:55 psyche-i386-disc4.iso
              > 679542784 Sep 10 16:59 psyche-i386-disc5.iso
              >
              > I am guessing one of these is the documentation CD. I guess two
              > (three?) are the actual installation CD's. And one for the source.

              None of those disks is the documentation CD. The documentation CD is
              called psyche-docs.iso. It is only 59,136 KB in size.

              Red Hat Linux 8.0 Documentation CD Contents

              Official Red Hat Linux x86 Installation Guide
              Provides step-by-step instructions for installing Red Hat Linux, from
              gathering information about your system to booting Red Hat Linux for
              the first time.

              Official Red Hat Linux Getting Started Guide
              Explains what to do after installing Red Hat Linux. Learn how to
              manage files and directories, configure an email client, play audio
              CDs, and more.

              Official Red Hat Linux Customization Guide
              Read about how to customize your Red Hat Linux system to fit your
              needs. Step-by-step guides, designed for a beginner or intermediate
              user, are available for setting up a network interface card,
              configuring NFS shares, configuring Samba shares, managing your
              software using RPM, and much more.

              Official Red Hat Linux Reference Guide
              --------------------------------------
              Contains background information and solutions for a variety of
              different issues, including the Red Hat Linux boot process, default
              user and group configurations and methods, and HTTPD directives.

              Official Red Hat Linux Security Guide
              -------------------------------------
              Provides comprehensive information about creating and maintaining
              secure Red Hat Linux systems. This guide discusses how to secure
              workstations and servers against malicious intruders, verify system
              security, detect security breaches, and react to an intrusion

              Maximum RPM
              This community-maintained book, originally published by Red Hat in
              1997, is an in-depth view of the RPM Package Manager.
            • thutmose dodd
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 19, 2003
                Last I heard its 6 cd's and will fit on one DVD.