I Should Know this, but.....?

  • Paul Grenyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 1:52 AM
      Hi All

      I really should know this and I can't find it in the archives.... :-(

      I've done a minimal install (no windows managers, no packages) of Red Hat
      8.0 and I've forgotten which files I need to edit to change: IP Address,
      Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers.

      Could somebody point me in the right direction please. :-)

      Regards
      Paul

      Paul Grenyer
      Email: pjgrenyer@...
      Web: www.paulgrenyer.co.uk

      ".and then one day, nearly 2000 years after one man got nailed to a tree for
      saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change.."
    • Scott Robbins
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 2:28 AM
        On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 09:52:08AM -0000, Paul Grenyer wrote:

        > I've done a minimal install (no windows managers, no packages) of Red Hat
        > 8.0 and I've forgotten which files I need to edit to change: IP Address,
        > Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers.
        >
        > Could somebody point me in the right direction please. :-)

        I'm not in RH at this instant, but I think it's something like
        /etc/sys-cconfig (possibly no hyphen) and in there is something
        for network.

        RH also has a tool netconfig or something similar--type netc and hit the
        tab key, it'll give you the possibilities.

        Xander: She must be right. We must have some kind of
        amnesia.
        Buffy: I don't know what that is, but I'm certain I don't have it. I
        bathe quite
        often.
      • Paul Grenyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1 3:28 AM
          Hi

          Thanks for this! :-)

          > I'm not in RH at this instant, but I think it's something like
          > /etc/sys-cconfig (possibly no hyphen) and in there is something
          > for network.

          Yep, thanks to this I've found it. It's:

          /etc/sysconfig/network

          DNS is set in:

          /etc/resolv.conf

          not quite got it to work yet though.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1 3:45 AM
            Hi

            > DNS is set in:
            >
            > /etc/resolv.conf
            >
            > not quite got it to work yet though.

            I've now got it working. :-)

            However, I can't work out how to restart the resolve (is that the right
            term???) without restarting Linux.

            Any ideas? :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1 4:35 AM
              On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 11:28:09AM -0000, Paul Grenyer wrote:
              > DNS is set in:
              >
              > /etc/resolv.conf
              >
              > not quite got it to work yet though.

              If you know your DNS servers which you should get from your ISP, it
              should look something like

              search nyc.rr.com
              nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx
              nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx

              With the x's being IP addresses.

              Or, often, ISP's configure your address with DHCP--in which case, as
              root or with root privilege doing

              dhcpcd might work--if you get command not found, then dhclient.

              This will automatically configure your /etc/resolv.conf (As well as the
              ip addie)

              Faith: Isn't it crazy how slayin' just always makes you
              hungry and horny?
              Buffy: Well... sometimes I crave a nonfat yogurt afterwards.
            • Chuck Rzeszut
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1 6:00 AM
                On Sat, 2003-02-01 at 04:45, Paul Grenyer wrote:

                > However, I can't work out how to restart the resolve (is that the right
                > term???) without restarting Linux.

                I'm no expert, but I believe DNS settings are part of the overall
                network service. Give this a try from the command line as root:

                service network restart
              • Mohamed Aly
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1 8:08 AM
                  and for name server