953Re: [redhat] Out of memory messages

  • Brian L. Johnson
    Oct 6, 2000
      On Oct 6, Tyson wrote to redhat@egroups.com:

      >VERY recently, I have been getting out of memory messages for procmail and
      >klogd. Once these messages popup, My company can no longer pickup their
      >mail off of the Linux box. It says it is not able to connect to eh server.
      >I then do a reboot and a few people can pull down their mail. Then the
      >error messages popup. I ran "df" to see my disk space and it says I am
      >using 76% of it. DO I need to clean up my hard disk? How can I fix these
      >error messages? What can I do to keep my server up and running and allow
      >everyone to pull down their mail?

      You can do "cat /proc/meminfo" to see a report on free and used
      memory. If most of the memory is in use, try running top to see what's
      consuming so much memory (might be an erroneous process).

      If nothing else, there's always the possibility of adding more RAM,
      however, I think it's something more like a rogue or runaway process
      eating RAM...

      -=Brian L. Johnson, blj8.com=-
      http://www.blj8.com
      Total Bookmarks in file= 7577