19466RE: [redhat] Which cmd is used to create a device driver if it were deleted?

  • Hyatt, Dan
    Mar 5, 2010

      From: redhat@yahoogroups.com [mailto:redhat@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of J
      Sent: March 05, 2010 9:45 AM
      To: redhat@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [redhat] Which cmd is used to create a device driver if it
      were deleted?

      On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 09:04, Hyatt, Dan <DHyatt@...
      <mailto:DHyatt%40forestpharm.com> > wrote:
      > If I understand the question correctly...
      > It would either be
      > Yum install driver_name
      > Or
      > Rpm -ipv driver_name.rpm

      Those only work if the driver is not native. The native ones included
      by default are all part of the kernel rpm. If the drivers that were
      deleted were part of the original installation then you'd need to
      simply :

      rpm -Uvh kernelfilename.rpm

      which should replace any files that are part of the kernel rpm and were

      > Sometimes the driver still exists, and you just need to do a shutdown
      > reconfigure (or am I thinking about solaris)

      I think that's probably solaris...

      > Had a problem once with the iSCSI card being detected and loaded as a
      > NIC, and even though we loaded the correct device drivers, we had to
      > back and delete RedHat native NIC drivers that were being detected
      > the device.

      Are you sure that RH wasn't just loading BOTH drivers? For some
      reason, they, by default, load both the NIC and the iSCSI driver (for
      QLogic initiators, I think the drivers are qla3xxx and qla4xxx).

      The simple fix is to just remove the NIC driver from
      /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild the initrd, removing the NIC driver so
      it doesn't load at boot time.

      Essentially "yes", except on the QLogic drivers, we had to delete the
      drivers, as removing them from modprobe.conf didn't suffice. Was a
      couple of years ago, but this was far more challenging then what is
      normally required to update drivers. We would get it working, remove it
      from modprobe.conf, then upon reboot it would reinstall the NIC driver
      at boot time.

      I kept notes on it somewhere.

      This e-mail and its attachments may contain Forest Laboratories, Inc. proprietary information that is privileged, confidential or subject to copyright belonging to Forest Laboratories, Inc. This e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout.