19465Re: [redhat] Which cmd is used to create a device driver if it were deleted?

  • J
    Mar 5, 2010
      On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 09:04, Hyatt, Dan <DHyatt@...> wrote:
      > If I understand the question correctly...
      >
      > It would either be
      >
      > Yum install driver_name
      >
      > Or
      >
      > Rpm -ipv driver_name.rpm

      Those only work if the driver is not native. The native ones included
      by default are all part of the kernel rpm. If the drivers that were
      deleted were part of the original installation then you'd need to
      simply :

      rpm -Uvh kernelfilename.rpm

      which should replace any files that are part of the kernel rpm and were deleted.

      > Sometimes the driver still exists, and you just need to do a shutdown
      > reconfigure (or am I thinking about solaris)

      I think that's probably solaris...

      > Had a problem once with the iSCSI card being detected and loaded as a
      > NIC, and even though we loaded the correct device drivers, we had to go
      > back and delete   RedHat native NIC drivers that were being detected by
      > the device.

      Are you sure that RH wasn't just loading BOTH drivers? For some
      reason, they, by default, load both the NIC and the iSCSI driver (for
      QLogic initiators, I think the drivers are qla3xxx and qla4xxx).

      The simple fix is to just remove the NIC driver from
      /etc/modprobe.conf and rebuild the initrd, removing the NIC driver so
      it doesn't load at boot time.

      cheers,

      Jeff
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic