18266Re: [redhat] Something fun to do, but not on a production system...

    May 1 7:25 AM
      On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 10:04:19AM -0400, Jeff Lane wrote:
      > On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 4:44 PM, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
      >

      > One thing bothering me about this, though, is that I can't grasp
      > exactly WHY this happens. Normally, there's a PID limit and once the
      > kernel reaches that limit, it recycles old PIDs, and if none are
      > available, it either errors and refuses to start more processes, or it
      > starts killing off older processes. I've seen both of those occur.

      Yes, what we have happen, on these scrapers (that "scrape" from various
      websites) is that they'll get an extremely heavy load and one will stop
      responding. After a few minutes, though it's back up, after it's begun
      to kill off the older processes.

      > In this case, the machine locks up hard... which to me says either the
      > processors are thoroughly chewed up with the exponential number of
      > forks being created, or the RAM is being eaten up by all those
      > processes being created.

      Were you able to run top or similar while doing it, to see what
      happened? I didn't get a chance to do that. I did wonder, if we
      waited, if the machine would recover, but AFAICT, it doesn't seem as if
      it will.

      > Not that it really matters in my environment... I do beta testing for
      > a living, so user security is not my concern.... but this has my
      > curiosity piqued :-)

      Keep posting results of your findings.

      Spike: I did a couple of slayers in my time. I don't like to
      brag. Who am I kidding? I love to brag. One time, during the
      Boxer Rebellion...
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic