All Easy Cooking Recipe Exchange Newsletter, September 9, 2003

  • alicias_kitchen
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2003
      All Easy Cooking Recipe Exchange Newsletter, September 9, 2003
      http://www.aliciasrecipes.com
      http://whatscookin.proboards4.com

      This newsletter will be sent out on 3-4 times a week. For those
      wishing a quick answer to their messages please use our recipe
      message board. The message board is an excellent resource for
      recipes, tips and tricks for cooking and food related topics.
      (http://whatscookin.proboards4.com/).

      =============

      Email Address for Replies and Requests
      Please send all email for replies and requests to
      mailto:nancyskitchen@...

      =============

      Nature Flavors (They have a great line of Splenda and Low Carb
      products as well as many great teas ). They now have a chocolate
      syrup made with Stevia.
      http://www.naturesflavors.com

      (Alicia's Kitchen, Recipes for You and Nancy's Kitchen.
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com

      =============

      Thought for the Day
      Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather
      than a piece of our mind.

      =============

      New pages added to Nancy's Kitchen:

      All Easy to Prepare Potato Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/potato_recipes.htm

      Tomato Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/tomato_recipes.htm

      Zucchini Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/zucchini_recipes.htm

      Potato Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/potato_recipes.htm

      Grilling Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/potato_recipes.htm

      Marinade Recipes
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com/marinades.htm

      =============

      This is for Doug who wanted the 'Easy Chicken Stroganoff' recipe:

      2 tbsp. butter OR margarine
      1 lb. boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
      2 cups sliced mushrooms
      1 medium onion, chopped
      1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's® Cream of Chicken OR 98% Fat Free
      Cream of Chicken Soup
      1/2 cup sour cream OR plain yogurt
      4 cups hot cooked medium egg noodles
      chopped fresh parsley

      Directions:
      HEAT 1 tbsp. butter in skillet. Add chicken and cook until browned,
      stirring often. Remove chicken.

      HEAT remaining butter. Add mushrooms and onion and cook until tender.

      ADD soup and sour cream. Heat to a boil. Return chicken to pan and
      heat through. Serve over noodles. Garnish with parsley. Serves 4.
      Source: http://www.campbellkitchen.com/getrecipe.cfm?RID=1380

      Also sent in by Nancy :-D, Julia, Nancy in Fallbrook, CA, Gaye,
      CAMPFIREFLAME, Kim, patersonc, Donna,

      ==============

      I am looking for a cobbler recipe. My mother had a cookbook that was
      either from Bisquick or it was a one about microwave cooking that she
      made a cherry cobbler from.
      I can't seem to find it anywhere. I have seen some that looked as
      though it was it, using Bisquick, brown sugar and butter - these are
      the only things I remember... however I KNOW the one I'm looking for
      was made in the microwave. Do you know of any such creature? It
      was a wonder, fast cobbler that I would love to make for my family.
      Unfortunately my mother is unable to tell me or remember neither does
      any of my siblings.
      Any help you might be able to give... I've searched the web high and
      low.

      Thanks,
      Lisa Wood

      =============

      Download over 100 recipe books to your computer for the price of one
      cookbook. Lifetime membership to E-Cookbooks Library is only $14.95
      (CD offer does not include lifetime membership or the ability to
      download new books when the become available). New books added
      often. Recently added books include Low Carb Secrets, Casserole
      Crazy, Salad Master, Best of Amish Cooking and more.
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?siggy/vjjepub

      <a target=_top
      href=http://hop.clickbank.net/?siggy/vjjepub>E-Cookbooks Library</a>

      =============

      I have been making these pickles for years. You will always find a
      jar in my fridge. They are really good. Judy in Florida

      Quick Refrigerator Cucumber Chips'

      2 regular cucumbers
      1 large bell pepper (red optional), seeded and cut into 1/2 inch wide
      strips
      1 medium size onion, thinly sliced
      1 tablespoon salt
      2 teaspoons dill seeds
      3/4 cup sugar (I use Splenda and it works good.)
      1/2 cup white wine vinegar

      Wash cucumbers well, but do not peel. Cut off and discard ends; cut
      cucumbers crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. You should have
      about 6 cups. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, bell pepper, and
      onion. Sprinkle in salt and dill seeds; stir well. Let stand,
      uncovered, for 1 to 2 hours; stir occasionally.
      Stir together sugar and vinegar until sugar is dissolved, then pour
      over vegetables and mix gently. Spoon into glass or ceramic
      containers. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 day or up to 3
      weeks. Makes about 2 quarts.

      Judy in Florida

      ===============

      Hi Nancy,

      I've never replied before so I hope I am doing this the right way.
      Lady Thelma requested a recipe for refrigerator pickles.

      6 cups pickles
      2 cups white sugar
      1 cup white vinegar
      1 tbsp salt
      1 large onion sliced
      1 tbsp celery seed
      1/2 green pepper diced
      1/2 red pepper, diced

      Mix everything and keep in refrigerator always. Need a week to blend
      before eating.

      ===============

      Dear Nancy,
      I am trying to locate the recipe for fermented batter (starter) that
      is used to
      prepare a friendship bread that you squeeze for nine days, add other
      ingredients and make starter batter to pass on to friends.(Friendship
      Bread) If possible could you please try to locate and forward it to
      me, I would be so grateful. I just really need the starter recipe I
      have everything else.
      Thank you, Patt

      Comment:
      There are several on our recipe message board under Amish recipes.
      http://whatscookin.proboards4.com
      Nancy

      ===============

      Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for Blue Bunny Ice
      Cream whereabouts. Love their website & am racing to a Wal Mart
      Superstore to buy, buy, buy! I'm including a no-bake easy cake
      that's also Coooool.
      Anna

      ICEBOX CAKE

      Makes 1 nine-by-nine-inch cake

      4 1/2 cups heavy cream
      4 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
      2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
      2 nine-ounce packages Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
      Milk-chocolate curls, for garnish

      Whip 3 cups of cream with 3 tablespoons sugar and the vanilla until
      soft
      peaks form.

      In a 9-by-9-inch cake pan with a removable bottom, spread a layer of
      whipped cream. Top with a layer of cookies. Continue layering cream
      and cookies,
      finishing with a layer of cream, until all the cookies are
      incorporated. Cover
      with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to
      overnight.

      Whip remaining 1 1/2 cups cream with remaining tablespoon sugar until
      soft peaks form. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a large star
      tip. Remove
      cake from refrigerator, and unmold. Pipe whipped cream over top and
      sides.
      Garnish with chocolate curls. Serve immediately.
      Note: This recipe has been adapted from the Famous Chocolate
      Refrigerator
      Roll recipe on the back of the Famous Chocolate Wafers box.
      Copyright Nabisco Inc. Reprinted by permission of Nabisco Inc.

      ===============

      In your august 13 letter there was a recipe for chocolate donuts it
      called for baking powder but didn't state how much.
      Judi

      ===============

      Creme Brulee
      Estimated POINTS® Per Serving - 3
      Servings - 6

      6 large egg yolk(s)
      1/4 cup sugar
      1/8 tsp table salt
      2 tsp imitation vanilla extract, alcohol
      1/4 cup unpacked light brown sugar
      2 cup fat-free skim milk
      1/4 cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener

      Heat milk to the boiling point. Lightly beat egg yolks with sugar,
      Splenda and a pinch of salt; pour the hot milk over them, stirring
      constantly with a wooden spatula or wire whisk until well blended.
      Add vanilla or a little mace or any other flavoring you desire.
      Strain the custard into a 1 1/2 quart heat-proof baking dish or
      individual custard dishes; stand the dish in a pan of warm water and
      bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the custard
      is completely set but not over cooked. Do not let the water in the
      pan boil. Remove from the oven; cool and then chill in the
      refrigerator.

      About 1 1/2 to 2 hours before serving, sprinkle the top evenly with
      fine light brown granulated sugar to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
      Put under the broiler (or use a salamander, if you have one) until
      the sugar is melted and bubbly, watching carefully to see it does not
      scorch and burn. Remove, cool, and chill again until serving time.
      You'll have a hard, highly glazed crust on top of an unctuous,
      voluptuous custard. This will serve about 6. If you have more guests,
      double the recipe, using 12 egg yolks to a quart of milk.

      ===============

      Nancy,
      I made the microwave peanut brittle recipe, and it turned out like
      taffy. What did I do wrong?
      Jan, Florida

      ===============

      For Barb W. Dill Pickle Recipe
      Ham

      The Best Dill Pickles.

      3 quarts Water
      1/2 cup Pickling Salt
      1 Quart White Vinegar
      1 Clove Garlic for each jar
      Dill Weed
      50 or 60 small, slim 3" cukes

      Scrub cucumbers. Combine water, vinegar & salt and bring to a boil.
      Fill the jars (6 or 8 qts) with whole cucumbers & cover with hot
      brine, adding one or more sprigs of dill weed and a clove of garlic
      to each jar. Seal.

      For Lady Thelma
      Refrigerator Pickles or as we call them Ice Cream Pail Pickles

      Slice cucumbers ( dill size) and large onions into an ice cream pail
      until it is 3/4 full.
      Boil together & pour over the vegies.

      2 cups pickling white vinegar
      1 Tsp Celery Seed
      1 cup white sugar
      1 Tsp Mustard Seed
      1 Tbsp Pickling Salt
      10 Whole Cloves
      1 Tsp Tumeric

      Store in frig. in the ice cream pail. Keeps up to 1 year. Can be
      used after 7 days.

      ========================

      Up here in Northern NY the Amish/Mennonite people make a cream for
      toast using maple syrup and marshmallow fluff, they call it Amish
      Fluff, any ideas on how they make it?
      Thanks, Have a Good Day, Alberta

      ========================

      This is for Ruth who wanted the frosting that commercial bakers use
      that isn't really sweet. The one that I know of is made by RICHES and
      is called Bettercreme. It is a frozen product, that you thaw and
      whip like whip cream. It is my favorite toooo. not so sweet but adds
      wonderfully to any cake.
      ALLIE

      ========================

      Nancy,
      I was reading the 'instructions' for stuffed cabbage and something
      did not seem right. If you 'cut the leaves in half' as the directions
      indicated, you will have stuffed cabbage that looks like long cigars.
      I was brought up on Polish food, my Grandmother came from Poland. The
      proper way to prepare the cabbage is to 'shave' the core, NOT remove
      it. This way the leaves stay full and easy to fill. If you 'cut the
      leaves' in half you still have the core to deal with and it's very
      hard to roll the cabbage with a thick core. Just wanted to 'add' my 2
      cents.
      Phyllis from Longmeadow

      ========================

      For the refrigerator pickles

      6 c. sliced cucumbers
      1 c. sliced onion
      1 c. green pepper (optional)
      1 c. vinegar
      2 c. sugar
      1 tbsp. salt
      1 tsp. celery seed

      Combine all ingredients: mix well, place in far, refrigerate. The
      pickles will be ready in 24 hours and wil keep up to 1 year.

      This is from Annie's Quick and Easy Pickle and Relish Recipes.
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com/Kitchen/pickles.htm
      Bev. F.

      ========================

      Nancy,

      Thank you so much for you wonderful newsletters, they are great.

      Here is a great recipe for your pumpkin recipe page when you get it
      up and running, it can also be used on the WW page as well. I don't
      have the "points" for it as I have had this recipe for about 15
      years, and no longer go to WW, but it has the "old" exchanges.

      Carletta in OKC (formerly from Amarillo)

      "Weight Watchers" Pumpkin Muffins

      In a large bowl mix the following then set aside:

      For 6 muffins for 12 muffins

      1 cup 2 cup canned pumpkin
      1/2 cup 1 cup shredded carrot
      1/2 cup 1 cup egg substitute
      1 tsp 2 tsp vanilla extract
      1/4 cup 1/2 cup raisins
      1/2 ounce 1 ounce pecans (optional)

      In small bowl combine the following:
      1/4 + 2 T 1/4 cup flour
      1/4 tsp 1/2 tsp salt
      2 tsp 1 T + 1 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp 1 tsp baking soda
      2/3 cup 1-1/3 cup dry powdered milk
      2 tsp 1 T + 1 tsp pumpkin spice
      2 tsp 1 T + 1 tsp cinnamon
      Sugar substitute to equal 1/4 cup (1/2 cup) or to taste (Splenda
      works great)

      Optional spices: 1/4 tsp (1/2 tsp) each: mace, allspice, nutmeg,
      coriander
      Dash (1/8 tsp) ground cloves

      Spray 6 (12) cup muffin tin with spray release. Set aside.

      Combine dry ingredients with pumpkin mixture. Divide evenly into
      muffin cups**. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350* F or until toothpick comes
      out clean.

      **NOTES:
      Cups will be VERY full.
      DO NOT use paper liners, these muffins are too moist the papers will
      stick!
      1½ oz (3 oz) of either uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats or Bran
      cereal can be substituted for the flour. Place in blender and pulse
      until it resembles flour

      Makes 2 (4) servings of 3 muffins each.
      Each serving provides:
      1 bread, 1 protein, 1 fruit, 1 milk, 1/4 vegetable, 10 optional
      calories, add 1 Fat if pecans are used.

      ==================

      Could we start a page just for WW recipes to do in crockpots?
      LPD

      Comment:
      I know April Cooper has a lot of great recipes for crockpot and other
      recipes that include Weight Watcher points. April if you would like
      to moderate this page I will start one on the All Easy Cooking Recipe
      Message Board.
      Nancy

      ==================

      Hi Nancy,
      Thanks for a great newsletter and recipe site! Your time and
      devotion is truly appreciated.

      To the gal who requested a recipe for Cabbage Rolls, may I submit
      this tip: Freeze the head of cabbage and you will not have to par
      boil it to separate the leaves.

      Here in "Halupki" country (PA) we place the head of cabbage in a
      plastic freezer bag, and when frozen solid, thaw in a colander. Much
      easier than working with a pot of hot water!
      JoAnn

      ==================

      I am going to move back to Amarillo in the next month or so. The
      apartment I lived in for over 22 years is going to be available
      sometime in October. It is less expensive than where I am currently
      living. The apartment does not allow pets unless they needed for
      medical reasons. Over the past 6 months I have been training my cat,
      Siggy, to fetch my cell phone and bring it to me if I fall, so I can
      call for help when I can't get up. I have had a difficult time
      finding a doctor to write a letter stating that Siggy is needed for
      medical reasons. Hopefully I can find an understanding doctor that
      understands that a person with muscular dystrophy falls easily and it
      is important to have Siggy with me so he can bring me the cell phone
      so I can call for help.
      Nancy

      ==================

      As an overweight diabetic who LOVES ice cream, I am so totally
      salivating for Blue Bunny. It's almost like this is a trick
      promotion to get us interested in it!
      My WalMart does NOT carry it. When I went to the Blue Bunny web site
      and used their store locator, would you believe they want to send me
      almost an hour away to a truck stop! Does anyone else reading this
      live in the San Fernando Valley and have any idea of where to get
      this wonderful product?
      Arlene

      ==================

      Nancy, first let me say how much I appreciate what you do. I've done
      newsletters in the past, and I know how much work they are. I'm
      amazed how you manage yours alone.

      I was looking up recipes for bread pudding on the All Easy Cooking
      Recipes database, and came across one that was not complete, the
      recipe for coffee cake bread pudding.

      Thanks for all you do. I occasionally see someone grousing in the
      newsletter that they don't like what you do. Ignore them. For each of
      them there are hundreds of us who love what you do, and look forward
      to it.

      John Gallagher

      Comment:
      Thank you for pointing out the incomplete recipe. I will check it
      out. I appreciate constructive suggestions and letting me know when
      a recipe is incomplete.
      Nancy

      ==================

      Hi, Just love when I go to my mail and find your newsletter. It is
      just great. Here is a tip. If you are making stuffed cabbage rolls
      put your head of cabbage in the freezer. I take it out the night
      before I make the rolls. Let it sit on the counter overnite and the
      next day cut the core out and the leaves are soft and come right off
      the head. It is also very easy to roll. I put a toothpick through
      mine so they do not fall apart. Hope this helps some of your
      readers. Adele

      =================

      Hi Nancy,
      I am looking for a recipe for a dessert I don't even have a name for
      it. A friend of mine told me about an apple dessert from years ago
      and it sounded so good I thought I see if anyone out there might know
      what it is and how it is made. The inside is an apple, it is
      surrounded by a type of cake similar to a pound cake and then there
      is an outside crust much like a pie crust. Does this sound familiar
      to anyone? I would love to find a recipe because it sounds great.
      Thanks, Marcia

      =================

      Someone was looking for a cake using a mix and ice cream. I don't
      remember that one, but this recipe calls for ice cream and the flavors
      can be changed around.

      Fresh Blueberry Muffins
      1 cup vanilla ice cream (softened but not melted )
      1 cup self rising flour
      1 cup blueberries
      In a medium bowl, mix the flour and ice cream. Fold in blueberries and
      spoon into 6 greased muffin cups. Bake a 375* for 20-25 minutes.
      I baked it in an 8 x 8 pan and it turned out just great. Use your
      imagination to your liking. Strawberries & strawberry ice
      cream--chocolate chips, chocolate ice cream--got the idea now.
      Luanne=Fl.

      =================

      I found a lot of low-carbohydrate recipes by clicking the Google
      Ads. There are a lot of good recipes in the ads and cooking ideas
      for all sorts of special diets and other recipes on Annie's Kitchen
      (http://www.annies-kitchen.com)
      Lisa

      Comment:
      There are ads that take people to recipe pages that have hundreds of
      great recipes. I noticed that there are a lot of low carbohydrate
      sites listed early in the morning but don't see them later in the day.
      Nancy

      =================

      Nancy--
      Love the Site!!! I just got a deep fryer and am looking for some
      good
      recipes. I especially would like some good fried chicken and fried
      apple
      (or other fruit) recipes. The ones that came with the fryer were not
      very
      good and just tasted like flour. Any help would be much
      appreciated! Keep
      up the good work!
      --Jason in GA

      =================

      Hi Nancy,
      I am looking for a way to fix fresh Okra. I love it breaded and fried
      but I hate the syrupy liquid that comes from it. Can anyone post a
      good recipe for the breading. Thanks in advance.
      Sharron

      ==================

      Hi Nancy
      Here's a fluffy frosting for Ruth. My sister used this to decorate
      her
      daughter's wedding in August. They live near the Majave Dessert and
      the
      frosting held up well in the heat.

      Kitty's Creme Frosting
      (requires heavy duty mixer like a Kitchen Aid)
      2 cup milk
      6 heaping tablespoons flour
      Cook the above until very thick, stirring constantly.
      Chill, several hours or over night w/Seran on surface to prevent
      drying.
      Add 1 teaspoon salt
      1-1/2 Crisco, beat until smooth.
      Add 2 cups sugar. Beat until sugar dissolves
      Optional: 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavor
      OR
      2 drops almond flavoring
      OR
      1/2 teaspoon black walnut flavoring.
      Beat until smooth and creamy
      Make as many batches as required for the size of your wedding cake.
      Vivien

      ===================

      This week
      Over 152 new recipes have been added to
      http://www.easy-cooking-recipes.com

      Over 100 recipes have been added to
      http://www.recipe-greeting-cards.com

      7 New recipe pages have been added to Nancy's Kitchen in the past 10
      days
      http://www.nancyskitchen.com

      Most popunders have been removed from (still haven't got all of them
      yet. Will work more on it in the next couple of days and update
      pages and remove popunders.)
      http://www.annies-kitchen.com

      There was not room for all the replies and requests sent in. More
      will be posted in the next newsletter.
      Nancy