- Monday's Recipes - April 7, 2003

  • Nancy's Kitchen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 9:23 AM
      All Easy Cookin Recipe Message Board   (http://whatscookin.proboards4.com/)
      April 7, 2003 (Next newsletter will be sent out April 11)

      This newsletter will be sent out on Monday and Friday only until further notice.  For those wishing a quick answer to their messages please use our recipe message board.  The message board is an excellent resource for recipes, tips and tricks for cooking and food related topics.
      (http://whatscookin.proboards4.com/).

      This newsletter was not sent out last week.  I had an infection in that required hospitalization.  I cut my toe and the infection spread to my leg. I was hospitalized because the infection had gone into bone near my total knee replacement. I am extremely weak from my illness.

      Nature Flavors
      Nature's Flavors.

      They have a great line of Splenda and Low Carb products as well as many great teas.

      I was unable to answer the over 950 messages that asked why there was no newsletter last week.

      For all the members that wish to unsubscribe from the newsletter I am still feeling very weak and just don't have energy to unsubscribe members.  Please use the instructions that are listed twice in every newsletter. If you don't know which group you are a member of please read the top of your newsletter to find the information.

      How to Unsubscribe
      Log into the email account that you are subscribed under, click on the link for the newsletter you belong to and put unsubscribe in the topic/subject area and only the word unsubscribe in the message area. Click on send an you will be removed from the list.
      Nancy's Kitchen and Recipe Exchange
      Alicia's Recipe Kitchen
      Daily Recipes for You

      I did appreciate all the kind messages, ecards, and greeting cards that were sent by mail.  There are so many kind members.

      Free Humorous and Inspirational Ecards

      If you have trouble accessing the links please go to the online version of this newsletter at
      Nancy's Kitchen and click on newsletter archives.

      Need a Diet Buddy?
      Need a Diet Buddy? Check out our recipe message board
      All Easy Cookin' Recipe Message Board - Need a Buddy Section

      Favorite Recipe Greeting Cards     Thought for the Day Greetings

      Email Address for Replies and Requests
      Please send all email for replies and requests to
      Click Here for Email Address

      Newletter is Sent Out Daily (Except Saturday)
      This newsletter is sent out everyday but Saturday. The emphasis of this newsletter is on easy to prepare recipes

      How to Subscribe
      If you have a friend that wants to subscribe (Alicia's Kitchen, Recipes for You and Nancy's Kitchen.
      Click Here

      Thought for the Day
      Experience is what causes people to make new mistakes instead of old ones.

      I went to your site with all the cute greeting cards last week.  There are so many cute cards that I just couldn't make up my mind which one to send you so I sent you one every day.  For those that need to find either a funny or thoughtful card you might want to check them out too.  I also found cute coloring pages for my grandchildren for both March and April.
      http://infoline.officehiway.com/easter_cards.htm
      Thanks for having such a fun page for kids of all ages.
      Sue

      TUNA CASSEROLE

      chopped onion
      chopped green pepper
      1 can tuna
      1 box Kraft Mac & Cheese Dinner
      1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
      Potato chipe

      Saute onion & pepper in a little oil; add drained tuna & mix well; Set aside.

      Cook Mac Dinner according to directions; after adding cheese, stir in soup & onion/pepper/tuna mixture. Pour into a 9x13 casserole dish & bake 350 for 25 minutes. Remove, add crushed potato chips & serve. I was first given this recipe in 1957, one of my very first as a young bride & I still make it - one of my husband's favorites.

      Hi, I am looking for a recipe for a cake that uses Oreo cookies. I thought it was called Dirt Cake but can't seem to find it on any sites. I have seen it served in a flower pot with gummy worms. Do you have a recipe for this?

      Thank-you for your time.
      Brenda

      Hi Nancy,
      I love your recipes. I have been receiving them for appx 1 yr now.  I have one that people may turn their nose up to, but you have to try it. Growing up, with little money, we ate this many times. When I came home for lunch from school, friends wanted to eat at my house, lol. They loved this. Now my husband is hooked on it, haha.

      BEANS ON TOAST
      2- Pieces of toast, buttered
      Warmed baked beans
      Spoon baked beans on 1st piece of toast, buttered side up,  top with 2nd piece of toast, buttered side down. Use a fork to eat it with.
      Tastes really good with hot sauce & pepper.
      Marie

      In your March 19th issue of the newsletter Andee from Utah wrote that she once lived in Grass Valley and asked that someone hug a tree for her. Well, we have recently planted several new pines in the back of the property and I have dedicated one to her. So Andee, you will always have roots in Northern California.

      All my best,
      Jacci from Grass Valley, CA

      Hi Nancy

      Years ago, I had a recipe, don't know where it went, but it was a tuna sandwich, served open face, made with onion, celery, bisquick and cheese. Broil

      Maybe mayo? Can you help me find this?

      I would like know if you can add anything to the 7 min. frosting to make to chocolate.
      thank you, Cathy

      Dear Nancy,
      I made some of the Amish Snickerdoodles from your recipes. They were good but the next day they seemed to get a little hard and tough.  I have read somewhere there is something you can do to keep them moist and soft by putting something in the container but have forgotten.  Is there anybody out there that has heard of this?
      Thanks,
      Norma Childress Chilfrno@...

      Nancy,

      This is a wonderful site!  I'm so glad that I found you!  Hope you are feeling better.  Your stories about your kitties crack me up.....I can relate, I have three, my Jake just loves to steal my hair things, I can find them everywhere, the best is when I find them shoved pawlength under a closed door into another room!  Just wanted to say...Thanks so much, and keep those
      recipes coming!
      Tammy in Alabama, tam_shell@...

      Hi,
      I am looking for some lowcarb recipes maybe for the crockpot. I do lowcarb and am a diabetic
      Thanks, Martha

      I am in need of an angle food cake recipe that is baked in a loaf pan instead of the traditional way. I had the recipe years ago (another time when we had chickens and lots of eggs) but lost it in a fire. It is takes only about half the eggs of the traditional cake, but I'm not sure if I can just half an ordinary recipe. If anyone has that recipe, I would love to have it again.
      Barb in Kansas

      Hi Nancy,
      This is for Carol who wants to organize her collected recipes. I have created a folder that I keep in "Documents". It's called "Recipes" and when you open the Recipes folder, there are many other folders called: Appetizers, Beef, Chicken/Poultry, Pork, Potatoes/Rice/Pasta, Seafood, Sweets/Desserts, Vegetables. Inside each of these folders are more.

      The beef folder has ground, crockpot, steak, leftovers, etc.
      The sweets/desserts has cakes, pies, cookies, candy, cupcakes/brownies/bars, and fruit desserts. ...You get the idea.
      I highlight the recipe from the newsletter, paste it into Microsoft Word (which I placed on the Desktop as a shortcut), and add it to the appropriate folder. It is organized and so easy!!
      If you have any questions, just email me at
      LongIslndLady@...
      Enjoy! ~Nancy D.~

      Dear Nancy, I am looking for my misplaced recipe for Copper Pennies, carrots cooked in orange juice with brown sugar and butter. There might have been several ingredients that I'm missing. I just can't remember. Help. The whole family is mad at me. I am laughing here.
      Thanks, Cat

      I seem to remember someone asking for a substitute for eggs recently.  While looking at a recipe from 1917 for Eggless, Milkless, Butterless Cake there is a notation from Royal Baking Powder's book '55 Ways to Save Eggs.'  Saving eggs (which had become scarce and expensive) meant substituting one teaspoon baking powder per egg called for in a recipe.  The recipe is included in a little book called "Mama's In The Kitchen, Weird & Wonderful Home Cooking 1900-1950 by Barbara Swell from Native Ground.  Since I don't have the original book that this recipe is from I don't know about the copyright on it.  The cake recipe isn't what interested me, though.  It was how to substitute eggs.  If anyone would like the recipe I will be glad to send it to them.
      biris@...
      Blue Iris

      Nancy, I have a wonderful Chicken Brunswick stew recipe that I would like to share with Sharon. It was in my Church's cookbook that is not copyrighted, however, it originated from the Chef at The Old Cox Hotel In Atlanta and I am not sure about his or their copyright. Here is the recipe, you decide or I can send it directly to Sharon , if given her email address.

      Perfect for me, I do not care for the traditional Brunswick Stews, using wild game.

      Chicken Brunswick Stew
      5 lbs hen
      5 lbs potatoes, cooked and mashed
      4 large onions
      4 cans tomatoes (#303 size)
      2 cans baby lima beans
      2 cans corn
      1/2 bottle Worcestershire sauce
      Salt
      Pepper
      Cayenne
      Tabasco
      1/4 bottle A-1 sauce
      Boil chicken until done. Shred. To the chicken broth add chopped onions, canned tomatoes and cook for 30 minutes. Add corn, limas and cook 30 minutes. Add potatoes, shredded chicken and seasonings. Cook for 5 hours
      stirring ever so often to keep from sticking. Makes 2 gallons.
      SouthrnDumplin

      For Janet

      This is not in a loaf shape but the recipe seems like something similiar to
      what you seek.

      From my grandmother

      Ground Meat Fillets

      1 1/2 pounds good ground meat
      2 sandwich slices bread
      1 egg beaten
      1 teas salt
      1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
      1/4 teaspoon hot sauce or Tabasco (optional), a sprinkle of seasoned salt.

      Soak bread in about 1/2 cup water and soften with fork or with hands before
      mixing to meat. Mix well with with fork.  Using a large size jar top (she used miracle whip jar top, dip in water , I use the hamburger press from Tupperware) pack full.  Split slice a slice of bacon, wrap around meat patty , fasten with tooth pick. 30-40 minutes before broiling, sprinkle with wine vinegar (optional) Broil .

      Her personal note is this...best to prepare fillets and let season (in freezer) for several days.  Keeps well in deep freeze.
      SouthrnDumplin

      I'm asking the readers of this wonderful newsletter if any of them know of this recipe. It is a crockpot Mexican dip. I know most of the ingredients listed, but not amounts. You cooked ground beef, and then put it and all other ingredients in the crockpot. Some of the other ingredients added to the pot with the cooked ground beef were, onion,Cheese (or Velveeta), salsa, 1 can refried beans, etc. If anyone knows this recipe, please send it to me at www.htw@... . Thanks again Nancy for keeping us all cooking together in a big friendship circle. Jo from MO.

      Here's a recipe for Crisp Toffee Bars. Sincerely,
      Laurie
      Crisp Toffee Bars
      Jefferson City, MO 1965

      1 cup butter
      1 tsp. vanilla
      6 oz pkg. chocolate chips
      1 cup brown sugar
      2 cups sifted flour
      1 cup pecans

      Cream brown sugar, vanilla, and add flour, then mix well. Stir in nuts and chips. Pat mixture in a well greased 13'x9' pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut while warm and cool before serving.
      Highland Brownies:
      Butterscotch chips instead chocolate chips.

      Hello, My Daughter will be getting married in May,it will be a small wedding and reception. I am needing food idea's that are not to expensive but still nice for about 100 people. We have the cake , but need ideas to feed everyone, it will be an afternoon wedding, with the reception from 3-6. Thank you in advance for any ideas. You can send me your ideas at mehnaj@...

      The lady that sent in the recipe for the King's Cake did she mean (12) twelve cups of water?
      sdkoenig1@...

      Nancy, According to our local news reporters and papers, the government does not allow "anonymous" mail to our troops as a security measure. So unless someone has some one over there with a specific address, readers cannot mail care packages to "any serviceman" like they could when Dear Abby had her program going for the troops.
      Nancy In VA (Navy town Norfolk)

      I need some help!!!!!
      I am on the Atkins program and I need recipes with no or really low carbs can you help???
      Thanks Tim

      Dear Nancy,
      This is in response to Caroline who wanted to know about pizza stones.
      The one I have is from the King Arthur Flour catalog. I have had it for about four years and am Very happy with it. They call it a baking stone. There is no brand name on it that I could find.
      It is rectangular which I really like as it tends to hold the most varied sizes. It retails for $34.95 and is worth every cent!
      Hope this helps Caroline.
      Your site is one of the first I check everyday. Thanks so much for bringing some much pleasure into so many cook's days.
      Susan in Delaware

      Dear Nancy,

      I have a recipe which I would like to share with everyone. It is from my home land, and we call them Raspberry Caves. If you like Jammy Dodgers, you will l o v e these!

      I didn't have any raspberry jam at home when I made these yesterday, so I used strawberry jam instead. I can tell you that it works just as well.

      Raspberry Caves

      700 ml all-purpose flour
      150 ml white sugar
      300 g butter
      1 egg
      good-quality raspberry jam
      muffin cups or similar

      Mix all ingredients apart from the jam in a bowl. Form into a dough, then roll out to a 10 cm long roll. Cut out small pieces from the roll. Place each piece in a muffin cup. Bake at 200 degrees Celcius for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately push a blunt object into each cookie to make a hollow. Drop some jam into each hollow and let cool.

      Enjoy!!
      Yours sincerely,
      Anna Welander, Uppsala, Sweden.

      Hi, Nancy.
      I have a suggestion for the lady with the rusty spring form cake pans.  The rust comes from not drying completely before putting away.  I have the Pampered Chef shaped bread pans.  After I wash and dry them, I put them in the oven on a low temperature (200 degrees) for a short time.  This dries them more thoroughly.  I haven't had any problems with rust.

      Hi Nancy,

      Love your newsletter. I have a recipe and a neat place to put your recipes. I downloaded Yeah Write and go to General. You can copy and paste recipes very easily there. I use it often.

      I still make breaded tomatoes, one of my Mother's favorite thing. I love it with pork steak, cottage cheese or macaroni and cheese. I crave tomatoes all year long and this is a winter time treat.

      I have a crock pot recipe for Brunswick Stew and it is very easy. Just add cornbread and yummy.

      BRUNSWICK STEW

      2 Cans Castleberry BBQ Pork
      1 Can Castleberry BBQ Beef
      1 Can Sweet Sue BBQ Chicken
      1 Can Creamed corn
      1 Can Diced tomatoes

      1 TBS mustard
      1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce
      1 TBS lemon juice
      1 TBS catsup
      1 TBS vinegar
      Salt & Pepper to taste

      Put all in crock pot on low for 5 to 6 hours. My Daughter says ummm good!

      Judy
      barrjarr68@...

      Does anyone have a recipe for honey bun cake? I  would very much like
      to have the recipe  Thanks, Joyce { jhalcomb@...}.

      I wanted to respond to "Another Nancy".. she is looking for a recipe for creamed eggs. I have one that is older then me!

      You start with a basic cream sauce recipe:
      Melt two tablespoons butter in a sauce pan.
      Stir in two tablespoons flour. Slowly stir in one cup of milk. Add a teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, cook till thick. This sauce is good for so many things!! (Add cheddar and American cheese to taste, pour over cooked elbow macaroni for the best mac and cheese ever eaten!) but if you add four or more chopped hard boiled eggs, you have creamed eggs.
      Spoon over toast... mmmmm MMMMM! Hope this is what she is looking for!.. now I have a craving for it!
      Enjoy,
      Jet~

      Refried black beans

      1 can mashed black beans
      1/2 bean can of coca cola (amount will depend on size of can be used)
      butter

      Soften beans in saucepan with just enough butter to keep from sticking to the pan. Add half a can of coca cola to the beans, mix well and simmer for several minutes. Let set for five minutes to thicken.

      Can be served with corn chips, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc..
      Tracy

      I enjoy your recipes. I get a lot of good ideas. There was one lady talking about Breaded Tomatoes, well my Father made something along the same recipe .

      1 large[28oz]can tomatoes, med chopped onion, 2 dry bread. Heat to boil, then serve. This was usually served over mashed potatoes.
      Sharon

      Creamed Eggs on Toast
      There is nothing especially difficult about this. When I make it for myself, I hard boil 2 eggs, peel, and slice them. Make 1 - 1/2 cups of white sauce and add sliced eggs when sauce is thick. Make toast. Pour eggs over toast. Voila! Supper. Note: Sometimes I add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of curry powder the the sauce as I like the flavor.
      Jean
      jeanlock@...

      I would love to try the Amish Friendship Bread, but I have a couple questions to make sure I don't mess it up. When making the starter, do you refrigerate it every day or leave it out on the counter for the 10 days? Also, after refrigerating the starter, do we need to let the portion we are using reach room temperature first? If not, won't that affect how the bread rises? All of the bread recipes I have used, say to have all ingredients at room temperature. An old family friend never refrigerated her starter. And, one last question: if you don't refrigerate it, how long will it last?

      Thanks for the help (in advance)...I love your newsletter and all of the delicious recipes.

      Connie Schuster - Justin, TX
      loneshewolf@...

      Recipe for Birds Nest Pudding that Nancy requested:

      6 tart green apples, peeled and cored
      1 cup brown sugar
      1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      3 egg whites
      3 egg yolks
      1 cup milk
      1 teaspoon maple flavored extract
      1 cup all-purpose flour
      1 teaspoon cream of tartar
      1/2 teaspoon baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon salt

      1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
      1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      1 pint heavy cream

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart baking dish.
      Place apples in prepared dish. Stuff the core of each apple with brown sugar, pressing down slightly. Reserve any remaining sugar. Sprinkle all the apples with the 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Place dish in preheated oven to start baking while the batter is prepared.
      Beat egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl, beat yolks until they change color. Stir milk and maple flavoring into beaten yolks. In a third bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, baking powder, salt and any remaining brown sugar until well mixed. Pour flour mixture all at once into egg yolk mixture and stir until smooth. Fold beaten egg whites into yolk batter.
      Remove apples from oven and pour batter evenly over and around apples.
      Bake in preheated oven 45 to 60 minutes more, until crust has browned. Turn each apple, surrounded by some fluffy crust onto a plate and serve at once with sweetened cream.
      To make sweetened cream: Stir confectioners' sugar and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg into heavy cream.

      Makes 6 servings
      ENJOY
      Linda Gimnich
      tmnglinda@...

      Hello Nancy, I hope all works out well for you. We do appreciate your hard work. This is for Nancy, who wanted Creamed Eggs over Toast. This recipe is in a handwritten cookbook from my mother in law. I usually double this recipe for my family, using 8-10 eggs.

      Creamed Eggs

      Boil 4-6 eggs
      Make White Sauce
      4 Tbs. butter
      4 Tbs. flour
      salt and pepper to taste
      2 cup milk

      Melt butter over low heat, add flour, salt, pepper and blend well. Gradually stir in milk and cook stirring constantly until thick and smooth. This will take a while. Slice or chop eggs, mix in sauce. Serve over toast.

      Makes 2 cups
      We eat this quite often during the winter months. My kids love it.
      Enjoy, Deb

      This reply is for Karen who is looking for some low carb recipes. I found a wonderful website and would love to share it with anyone who is also looking for low carb recipes, information, etc. It is LowCarbFriends.com Recipe Room. It has a wealth of information.

      Have a great day and keep sending out those WONDERFUL newsletters! You do an awesome jobDiane
      San Antonio
      Halim@...

      Hi Nancy! With Easter coming up, I'd like to share a wonderful site with all sorts of recipes and fun ideas. It is:
      <http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/> . It also has ideas for most other holidays and special occasions.
      Patricia in Indiana

      Dear Nancy,
      I am a true candy bunny! Now I am after any kind of fudge that isn't chocolate-, peanut butter-, marshmallow-, etc. Is it for example possible to make fudge containing fruit? I think I have seen pumpkin fudge but are there other kinds? I am asking you as well as all the other cooks who receive this newsletter to please help me hunt some down.

      Yours sincerely,
      Anna Welander, Uppsala, Sweden.

      Hi Everyone!
      My son is turning 5 next month & we are having a dinosaur themed birthday party for him. This has been his theme of choice the last few years & I am running out of party ideas for decorations, food, games, etc. He has also asked for PBJ as the main dish. Any ideas for some "kicked up" versions of PBJ sandwiches or any other PBJ recipe would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so very much for any ideas that any of you can provide to help make this future paleontologist's birthday party the best one yet.
      Thanks so much for posting my request, Nancy! Have a great day!
      Gia

      In my recent move a box of recipe books went to a charity by mistake instead of to my apartment.  One of the books was a Bisquick book that I had for years and I lost my recipe for Prairie Crescent Rolls.  Would you by any chance have this recipe?  I like to use it instead of the canned crescent rolls for breakfast pizza.
      Jeanne Garrett

      This is a recipe my 94-year-old grandmother has made for longer than I am old.

      Hot Water Sponge Cake

      Yolks 2 eggs
      Whites two eggs
      1 cup sugar
      1 cup flour
      3/8 cup hot water or milk
      11/2 teaspoons baking powder
      1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      Beat yolks of eggs until thick and lemon-colored, add one-half the sugar gradually, and continue beating; then add water, remaining sugar, lemon extract, whites of eggs beaten until stiff, and flour mixed and sifted with baking powder and salt. Bake twenty-five minutes in a moderate oven in a buttered and floured shallow pan.
      CountryMornin

      Nancy,
      I found you doing a google search for cherry chips....I cannot find these in my area! If you have a pkg. handy could you tell me the name of the company who makes them ? I have given up finding them in Oregon.
      Thanks for you time...
      Sandy......(Rainedze@...)

      This is for the lady that wanted the Manicotti Recipe (from Best Foods Mayonnaise Mayo)

      1/2 lb. ground beef
      1 garlic clove, crushed
      1 c. creamed cottage cheese
      4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
      1/2 t. salt
      1/2 c. Best Foods Mayo
      1 pkg Manicotti noodles, cooked & drained
      1 large jar spaghetti sauce
      Parmesan cheese

      Brown meat & garlic in skillet. Drain fat. Blend next 4 ingredients in bowl & stir in meat. Fill each manicotti & put in single layer in 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with any remaining filling & cover with sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over top. Cover with foil & bake @ 325 for 15 min., remove foil, cook for an additional 10 to 15 min. or til bubbly. Serves 4

      Ginny from Georgia