A day in the life of a Nassara

  • pgosselin8
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2005
      Ciao from Ouagadougou!

      I'm a little worse for wear after ringing in the New Year
      with a wild Cancun Spring Break 2005 Beach Party, minus the beach,
      but here I am once more, diligently filling you in on the word from
      the bush. I'm nearing the end of my first 3 months in village and
      the first 6 in Burkina. Seen the third world, lived in a hut, eaten
      the To, bleeted with the goats, sunbathed with the lizards, and been
      known simply as "the white guy." All right, so what's next? Oh,
      right. More of the above. A year and 9 months more. Shit.
      Sure, coming here sounded like a big adventure. And it has
      been, I must admit. But the novelty wears off, and then you realize
      you gotta LIVE here. The reality of my life in Zamse is frankly
      quite banal...:

      A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A NASSARA

      4:45 am- Stirred from slumber by the amoebas. Can it wait til...?
      No. It definitely can't. Must brave the roaches in the latrine.

      4:47 am- Pull up my shorts. --Hold it... Not done yet!

      4:50 am- Kick dog out of bed. Crash.

      6:00 am- Sun rises

      6:01 am- Dog's sleeping pills wear off. Stop licking me, dog. Let
      me sleep, damnit! Stop chewing the desk! Fine, I'm up.

      6:15 am- Record my dream about chinese buffet.

      6:30 am- Summon the energy to do yoga out of my illustrated guide
      from the library in Ouaga like a good peace corps volunteer.

      7:00 am- Dog is napping.

      7:15 am- Dress, sunscreen, pop a doxy to stave off the malaria, feed
      and water dog, fill my water bottles, put out my evening shower
      bucket to warm in the sun, pack my backpack, munch on some crunchy
      kudakuda peanutballs.

      8:15 am- Am I forgetting something?

      8:20 am- Oh... brush teeth.

      8:30 am- Maybe I should go to the clinic.

      9:00 am- I really should go to the clinic.

      9:30 am- Listen, if I don't go to the clinic and put my water in the
      freezer, it won't be cold for lunch.

      9:32 am- Out the door.

      9:33 am- Greet women sitting outside waiting for their prenatal
      consultations. Stick my water in the freezer as if it's not the
      main reason I'm going there. Take my seat inside as my counterpart
      nurse consults the women. I understand nothing.

      9:34-10:00 am- Stare at wall.

      10:01 am- Work up motivation to ask a question. My counterpart takes
      this as an invitation to complain about his job, how he hasn't slept
      or eaten since yesterday cause there was a woman giving birth and a
      kid in the hospital, and he's got his monthly reports to do yet, and
      he's all by himself, and, en tout cas, c'est pas facile!

      10:22 am- He finishes responding, poor guy, but I still don't know
      how much it costs to give birth in the maternity. Motivation lost.
      Pile of old Newsweeks from former volunteer beckons. How about I
      read instead?

      11:00 am- As I'm busy working, my 14 y/o helper girl Sophie arrives
      to clean dishes, fetch water and wash the clothes should I need it.
      She gets a slightly generous 7 or 8 dollars a month. Jealous? Oh,
      right... You just have the "electricity" do it.

      12:00 pm- Look at that! Time for lunch. I sneak my reward out of the
      freezer and head home to make a meal that will feed me again at
      dinner.

      12:45 pm- Devour my sumptuous spaghetti con tomato paste y agua on
      the porch. Damn, I'm good!

      1:12 pm- Resent the dog as she eats my last few bites.

      1:15-4:00 pm- To read, perchance to nap...

      4:00 pm- If it's a marche day (every third), bike over and stock up
      on kudakuda for me and the dog. Long for a plump tomato.

      4:20 pm- He he he...
      (i'm kidding.)

      4:22 pm- What to do...? I know, read!

      5:38 pm- Grab solar-lukewarmed bucket of water, strip nekkid, and
      dump it on my head as the sky turns pink. Feels AMAZING. Bucket-
      showers are quite the unexpected pleasure. You must try it.

      6:00 pm- Sun sets. Stomach rumbles. Must feed the amoebas! But then
      Isaaka, my 14 year old village buddy, comes over to chat. Every
      night. I appreciate it, but I feel guilty eating in front of him.
      All the village kids, actually. So I wait...

      7:00 pm- Slap that spaghetti on the gas stove, snag some more ice
      water from the clinic, eat on the porch under the stars as I relax
      with a crossword. I've been forced to limit myself to one a day.
      Two max. Must ration.

      7:24 pm- Sleepy sleepy... But I want to listen to the news. I
      suppose I could read until

      8:00 pm- News headlines on the BBC shortwave.

      8:20 pm- Slip into bed. Quality time with right hand.

      8:30 pm- I'm out like a log.

      8:31 pm- Dog sneaks into bed.

      MOORE 101
      (the language, not Michael)

      Now I realized a little while ago that all this reading, as
      engrossing as it may be, won't get me nowhere in village. So I've
      started making a point of dropping everything at 4:15 every day and
      biking over to a random courtyard to greet and visit, whether I have
      the urge to or not, cause I usually don't. Apparently it's not the
      neighbors' job to welcome the newcomers here, but rather the
      newcomer's job to go out and make himself welcome. I didn't make the
      rules, so I don't feel bad as I barge in and wait to be offered a
      seat. The more awkward part is barging into somebody's home without
      speaking their language. But I've got the greetings down. Ready?

      As you enter, they say: Welcome!
      If you're a guy, you respond: Chief!
      If you're a girl, you emit a shrill AAAIEEEEE!

      Depending on the level of formality and respect, you crouch down a
      certain degree, then grasp hands. (always the right, the left is the
      poop hand--fish grips are ok!)

      Now you're faced with a rapid-fire barrage of questions to which the
      only appropriate answer, no matter how much your day is sucking, is
      Health!

      -How's the afternoon?
      Health!

      -And your work?
      There's Health!

      -And your family?
      Only Health!

      -They're good?
      They're good!

      -MmmmFAAAAAAAA! (whatever that means)

      They stop talking and release your hand. Ok, are we done? No! They
      grab it again.

      -How was your sleep?
      Health!

      -How did you wake?
      Just Health!

      -How are the whities?
      There's Health!

      -And the people from your homeland? They're good?
      They're good!

      -MmmmFAAAAAAAA....

      They let go of the hand. ...is that it? Wait for it... One more
      round! Now they start a new barrage, not of questions, but of
      benedictions, to which you must reply Amen!

      -May God continue your good health!
      Amen!

      -May we thank God for your visit!
      Amen!

      -May God give you a good day!
      AmenAmenAmen!

      The tricky part is knowing when to stop saying Health! and start
      with the Amen! If you mess it up they'll laugh at you and you'll
      look like a total fool. (But there's no pressure, really, because
      you already do).

      Repeat with all members of the courtyard.

      I don't even do it the right way, cause you're not supposed to wait
      for the questions to be posed and answer them individually, but say
      everything overlapping, mixing questions and Healths, so it sounds
      like a mumbled mess. I'm working on it.

      After this little exchange, I've exhausted most of my Moore, save
      some phrases I've learned out of necessity:

      I don't have a wife.

      I already have a wife at home.

      I don't want a wife.

      They're my wives. (point to nearest Nassaras)

      Now that that's out of the way, all there is left to do is sit there
      and stare at each other. It used to be incredibly awkward, but
      since I've been here, my capacity for sitting and staring at people
      without speaking has increased exponentially. So, it turns out this
      4:15 pm chunk of the day isn't so painful after all, and I've even
      started to enjoy it. Once, I don't know how, a group of wives who
      speak no french actually chatted me up for over an hour. Then they
      gave me some peanuts. Score! It was a good day.

      LIKE A NEWLY CROWNED MISS AMERICA
      No, it's not all bad. And to prove it, here's a selection of
      things that have brought me to the verge of joyful tears recently:

      * On my very first 4:15 greeting outing, finding, hidden in a house
      not 70 meters away from mine, a group of guys, speaking FRENCH!
      Reading a French Burkinabe newspaper. Playing scrabble--in French!
      Turns out they're local elementary school teachers, in my backyard no
      less! Thank you Jesus! People to talk to! They whoop my ass at
      Scrabble.

      * We were in the middle of another weeklong series of vaccination
      sprees in all our satellite villages. This time, in addition to the
      oral polio vaccines, they were also giving measles shots. So now
      the children were screaming in horror at the needles, as well as the
      mere sight of me. Surround-sound shrieking children all day for 7
      days. Someone was testing me. Fortunately I brought a book.
      Anyhow, one day while we were waiting for the rest of the
      team, I start chatting with my vaccination partner Souleman, who
      happens to speak very good french. He tells me about how he's
      finished most of his high school, but wasn't able to complete his BAC
      and go on to because his family ran out of money. (I ask him how
      much it would cost, out of curiousity. $60, about).
      I tell him about the hard time I'm having doing any work,
      since I'm supposed to be talking to people, interviewing villagers
      about health issues, etc, but nobody speaks french, and for the
      moment, I can only tell them that I don't want I wife. He says,
      well, since I aint got anything else to do, I'd be happy to go
      around with you and translate.
      ...Really? You would do that for me? You mean I might actually be
      able to DO something here? I nearly break down in sobs of relief
      and kiss his feet.
      Later on, something strikes me. Peace Corps provides a hefty
      $20/month budget for hiring a language tutor. I need help with my
      Moore... My friend Soule needs the money... He's easy on the eyes
      from both the front and back... Sweet, sweet blessings of providence!
      Could it work? Stay tuned...

      Two other things that brought tears to my eye:

      * While biking through another village 10km away, my riding partner
      points to something on our left... Oh, my God, it's a LAND
      FORMATION! A little cliff, maybe 20 feet high and 40 long. It used
      to be a mountain, he said, but it got up and flew away. Well, of
      course. It was probably lonely. But finally, finally, I find
      something that's not flat!

      * As I was strolling around the marché, I turn a corner and--Holy
      Shit! Onions!! I haven't seen any fresh veggies in the marché
      since
      the pathetic little tomatos disappeared over a month ago. And here,
      big, voluptuous onions! I snatch them up and dab my eyes with a
      hanky. To think that in the States I would always gripe, What do
      you MEAN the strawberry pie is "seasonal"??

      (I also cry later that night as I chop one up for my curried pasta,
      but for a different reason altogether)

      OK, just one more, before I nauseate you all:

      * Picking up my first two care packages and a couple cards in time
      for my birthday. It meant a lot to me. Not the stuff so much as
      knowing that folks back home support my efforts. When the kids are
      staring and all I can do is stare back, it's not always easy to know
      if it's really worth it. But you guys... It got me RIGHT HERE. All
      right, I'll stop! (cheese and granola)

      Q: HOW DO YOU ADMINISTER BIRTHDAY SPANKINGS IN BURKINA?

      A: What's a birthday?

      I didn't want my 23rd birthday (dec 10, sag) to go by
      completely unrecognized, so I floated the news to a few people.
      First, I asked Isaaka what people normally do to celebrate in
      Zamse. "Yes... no..." That's how the kids reply when they're
      confused. Maybe I was using the wrong word. I asked him what day
      he was born. "1984?" No, Isaaka, that's the year, and besides,
      you're not 20. I try for a couple more minutes, but to no avail.
      Not only doesn't he know when his birthday is, he also doesn't know
      what it is. No use in telling him that mine's tomorrow now, is
      there? Turns out many people don't know their birthdays, or even the
      years, which makes it a little tough to celebrate.
      On my birthday, I tried again, with the pharmacist. You
      know, it's my birthday today! "Oh." Allright, fine, I give up.
      Forget it, it's not a big deal. Just another typical day in
      village. Fortunately, my PC neighbor Imane had other things in
      mind. She showed up in the evening with a huge bag of vegetables,
      which we cooked for dinner, and ate lamplight along with a cucumber
      vinaigrette and mac and CHEESE and a chilled beer while being
      seranaded by her bjork CD. It was delicious. During dinner, one of
      my acquaintances stopped by, and asked "Why didn't you tell us it
      was it was your birthday?" Excuse me?? Turns out that among the
      faction of burkinabe that do celebrate birthdays, the rule is for
      the birthday-boy to throw his own party and treat all his friends.
      Well, now I know. But you know what? I like Imane's way better.
      The desert is some more of my famous ice cream in coffee,
      chocolate and peach varieties.
      After dinner I'm treated to a facial with no less than 3 different
      exfoliants. We wrap out the evening playing rummy with my Colt
      Studio Hairy Chested Men playing cards (the kids get such a kick out
      of them!). It was fun times. No birthday spanks, though. I'll be
      collecting them when I get back to the States. With interest.

      It's time to wrap it up! I never finish up what I plan to say. But
      no worries, I'll be back in Ouaga later this month when I take off
      on Bike-a-Thon, a weeklong cross-country AIDS awareness bike trip.
      It sounds awesome, I'm very excité for it, and I'll tell you all
      about it in the next letter!

      I promise this is the LAST TIME I'll mention packages,* but just so
      you know what's up: When the French colonized Burkina under a
      different name many years ago, they left behind their fondness for
      bureaucracy as a substitute for reason. Thus, even though you write
      CSPS de Zamsé on the envelope, and they know who I am, and they
      know
      my situation, the folks at the post will let only me pick it up in
      Zorgho, so that I can sign in 6 different places and have an ID check
      and retinal scan. I can go pick it up, and I'm happy to, but it's
      40km each way and very difficult to do in single day on bike.

      SO... If you send a package, please just leave my name off of it.
      This way my counterpart will be able to pick it up for me, since
      he's got a moto and passes through Zorgho all the time. The address
      is:

      CSPS de Zamsé
      B.P. 34
      Zorgho
      Burkina Faso

      For regular letters, you can go ahead and put my name, it'll come
      straight to me. (and I promise to write back) That's all! Thanks!

      HAVE A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
      Love,
      Philippe

      *maybe...