Improved Website Sales Conversion Is The Best Answer

  • Bret Plummer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bret Plummer
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * realworld-advertising-articles@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Improved Website Sales Conversion Is The Best Answer

      Article Description:
      ====================

      When I first started learning how to make money online, I read
      that Content Is King. Well, I am here to tell you that Content Is
      Not King. It is an illusion (a mirage) that traps many online
      business owners in the quick sand of failure.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2009-06-02 12:24:00

      Written By: Bret Plummer
      Copyright: 2008-2009
      Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Bret Plummer, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bret-plummer.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=5633&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/improved-website-sales-conversion.shtml#get_code

      Improved Website Sales Conversion Is The Best Answer
      Copyright (c) 2008-2009 Bret Plummer
      Home Biz Cowboys
      http://www.HomeBizCowboys.com

      When I first started learning how to make money online, I read
      that "content is king." Well, I am here to tell you that
      "content is not king." It is an illusion (a mirage) that traps
      many online business owners in the quick sand of failure.

      "Content for the sake of content" is pointless.

      Now, don't get me wrong here. Content is a good thing, so long
      as it will help deliver a potential customer to your sales page
      or the sales page of your advertisers. Any content that does not
      deliver a potential customer to a sales page is content that has
      not lived up to its true purpose, plain and simple.

      A Number's Game

      No web page or website will ever deliver a 100% conversion rate,
      so it is imperative for a website owner to devise some method for
      tracking patterns and sales conversion results on their
      websites.

      Many people use and recommend Google Analytics for tracking
      website sales conversions (http://www.google.com/analytics/). The
      best benefit of using Google Analytics is the cost... it is
      free.

      Personally, we are unsatisfied with the results that we get from
      Google Analytics, and we feel there has to be a better way. A few
      similar products worth considering include:

      * http://www.metasun.com/
      * http://www.sales-n-stats.com
      * http://www.onestat.co.uk/

      Real Numbers For Consideration

      The Internet Retailer website compiled some interesting
      information back in 2005 and 2006. You can buy the 2006 data on
      their website, and they provide a good portion of the 2005 report
      on their website for free. This information comes from its 2005
      report of the Top 500 online retailers:
      http://www.homebizcowboys.com/2005-net-sales-stats

      In 2005, the top 500 online retailers completed 523.9 million
      separate sales at an average ticket price of $118. This in itself
      is a number that can encourage smaller website owners to have
      confidence in their future, but it is not the number I am most
      concerned with sharing with you today.

      This article is about "sales conversion", so it is imperative
      that I show you what you should expect from your own sales
      conversion.

      The Internet Retailer report shows us how the top online
      retailers are performing as far as sales conversion on their own
      websites. As you will see in this breakdown, sales conversions
      based on monthly visits (by visitor) varied widely, even within
      the same industries.

      * Chain Retailers ranged from 0.45% to 23% conversion;

      * Catalog and Call Center Operations ranged from 0.39% to 23.5%
      conversion;

      * Web-Only Merchants averaged between 0.10% to 31% conversion;
      and

      * Consumer Brand Manufacturers ranged from 0.75% to 20.2%
      conversion.

      Web-Only Merchants stand out in two ways: they scored the lowest
      conversions and the highest conversion rates at 0.10% and 31%.

      Closer To Home

      One of our "cowboy" friends has been working on his conversion
      rates with our help, through his free report and online
      newsletter. It is always easier to give away information than it
      is to close a sale on someone's first visit to your website. So,
      he has adjusted his approach to build his email list first, and
      then to use good content to drive his sales down the road. (Yes,
      good content does have its place in the world.)

      He still uses the old methods of promoting his websites that he
      has used for years. But now, he is trying out different
      advertising models to strengthen his opt-in numbers.

      Banner Advertising

      We have all heard about how bad banner advertising is, but my
      cowboy friend had read someone's eBook, where they said that
      they are making tons of money with banner advertising.

      Willing to try anything once, my cowboy friend undertook his
      first banner advertising promotions with the AdBrite Network
      (http://www.adbrite.com/).

      In his first run at the system, his banners only generated
      0.0005% CTR's (click-through's) to his website. So he
      readjusted his banners and took another pass. With his second
      run, he generated 0.0054% CTR's. Again, he redesigned his
      banners and took another pass at the system. This third time out,
      he had managed to raise his banner clicks to 0.0695%.

      On his third run of 144,000 banner impressions, he generated 101
      clicks to his newsletter sign-up page. By spending one-third less
      money than he spent on his first run, he generated 100 times more
      CTR's than he did on his first pass.

      These numbers only reflect how many of his banner displays
      generated a visitor to his website.

      The industry conversion rates shown previously in this article
      only reflect the actions people took once they were at a website.
      For my cowboy friend, once people landed on his website after
      clicking a banner ad, he was able to convert 3% of his visitors
      to subscribers.

      Co-Registration Marketing

      Co-registration is a process by which one company will offer a
      subscription to its visitors, and then on its "Thank You" page,
      it will offer other subscriptions to similar but non-competing
      publications.

      At the end of my friends' banner advertising campaign, he
      started a co-registration campaign. He started running his
      campaign in small increments, so that he could tweak his system
      as it progressed.

      In his first 5,000-exposure pass, he generated a 0.5% CTR to his
      subscription page and converted 4% of his visitors to
      subscribers.

      So, he tweaked his landing page and was able to increase his
      conversions to subscribers to 12% on his next run.

      The next time through, he tweaked his co-registration
      advertisement. He saw his CTR increase to 2%.

      He checked his stats, and then tweaked his system again. With the
      latest tweak, he is jubilant about his results. On his fifth
      pass, his results were so promising that he kept the system
      moving forward unabated.

      With his last 4926 co-registration exposures, he generated 104
      clicks to his website (2.11% CTR). Although he is still running
      about industry average on his CTR's from the co-registration
      page, he is getting a 55% visitor-to-subscriber conversion rate
      (58 subscribers from 104 visitors).

      Good Statistics Are Integral To One's Success

      Without good conversion statistics, it is nearly impossible to
      know how one can improve their overall conversion results.

      Good tracking stats can show you when you have improved your
      conversions, and they can show you when you have diminished your
      conversion rates. Every time you make a change to your
      advertising, you should keep a backup of your original copy, just
      in case your changes produce poorer results instead of better
      results. If you see your conversions go down, then go back to the
      copy you had used prior to your last change.

      By using his conversion statistics as a measure of his success,
      my friend was able to increase his results from banner
      advertising 100-fold in just a few weeks. When he took the same
      process to co-registration, he was able to increase his
      conversion results again, getting 58 times more subscribers for
      the same cash investment.

      Learning From Our Friends...

      We are working to duplicate the success of our friend. We had
      always thought that our own 10% visitor-to-subscriber conversion
      rate was pretty good, but 55%? Wow!

      Going forward, my point is simple. Before investing great sums of
      money into driving traffic to one's website, the first and most
      important task should be to drive enough traffic to your website
      to get some real conversion data and to tweak and improve your
      conversion results. Once you know that you are converting well on
      the traffic you are already receiving, then and only then should
      you consider stepping up your investment into driving traffic to
      your website.

      If I had called this article, "Increase Your Sales by 5,800%,"
      you would have assumed me to be a hype-salesman, and you would
      have skipped over my article altogether. But, if you ask my
      friend, he would tell you in his own words, "If he can do it,
      then anyone can do it." And that includes you, my friend. If he
      can do it, then YOU can do it too.

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/improved-website-sales-conversion.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Bret Plummer can be reached at:
      comments@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:comments@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Bret Plummer

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
        Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bret Plummer
        See Terms of Reprint Below.

        *
        *
        * realworld-advertising-articles@yahoogroups.com
        *

        This article has been distributed by:
        http://Article-Distribution.com

        Helpful Link:

        Article Title:
        ==============

        Improved Website Sales Conversion Is The Best Answer

        Article Description:

        When I first started learning how to make money online, I read
        that Content Is King. Well, I am here to tell you that Content Is
        Not King. It is an illusion (a mirage) that traps many online
        business owners in the quick sand of failure.

        Additional Article Information:

        Distribution Date and Time: 2009-07-08 13:36:00