We're Trying to Do Good But Got No Response: Publicity Dilemma 3

  • Marcia Yudkin
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10 9:00 AM
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Marcia Yudkin
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * realworld-advertising-articles@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      We're Trying to Do Good But Got No Response: Publicity Dilemma 3

      Article Description:
      ====================

      When a plain old press release doesn't attract media interest in
      your cause, it's time to inject the outreach for your do-good
      project with one or more of five irresistible publicity elements
      for non-profits.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2009-03-10 12:00:00

      Written By: Marcia Yudkin
      Copyright: 2009
      Contact Email: mailto:marcia@...

      Marcia Yudkin's Picture URL:
      http://www.thephantomwriters.com/client-img/marcia-yudkin.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Marcia Yudkin, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/marcia-yudkin.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=6614&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/no-response-publicity-dilemma.shtml#get_code

      We're Trying to Do Good But Got No Response: Publicity Dilemma 3
      Copyright (c) 2009 Marcia Yudkin
      Creative Marketing Solutions
      http://www.yudkin.com/

      "We have a worthy cause, but our press releases about it aren't
      getting picked up anywhere," says one of my subscribers. "What
      else can we do to get media coverage?"

      When a plain old press release doesn't attract media interest in
      your cause, it's time to inject the outreach for your do-good
      project with one or more of the following ingredients.

      Five Irresistible Publicity Elements for Non-profits

      1. A photogenic scene. Your news item transforms from dull to
      dazzling when you think up a way to inject children, puppies,
      chocolate, dance, puppets, balloons or angry protesters into the
      mix. Color, action, comedy and cuteness all help attract cameras
      and pensters alike. Stay away from clich�s like shovels at a
      groundbreaking or oversized checks being handed from a sponsor to
      a charity.

      2. A challenge. Suspense or drama is the second ingredient that
      helps attract the media. This might take the form of a contest
      (who will win?), an attempt to break a record (such as the
      world's biggest potluck dinner), a surprising comeback attempt
      (septuagenarians for Saturn High) or a fundraising wilderness
      trek (combating snakes, swamps and no sense of direction). And
      yes, publicity stunts still work.

      3. A heartwarming story. Crown your "poster child" - a person,
      family, animal or place that embodies a feel-good story, about a
      triumph over adversity, a homecoming, opposites coming together,
      enemies reconciling, unlikely devotion or an amazing talent.
      Instead of issuing a dry, factual recital about your cause,
      entice the media with an emotional tale. Whatever tugs at the
      heartstrings has an excellent chance of capturing media
      attention, too.

      4. A holiday tie-in. Holidays include not just Thanksgiving,
      Christmas and New Year's but also Mother's Day, Veteran's Day,
      Martin Luther King Day, Passover, Earth Day and Labor Day. Many
      times a year, media people have to fill up pages or airtime with
      holiday-related stories that they would rather not come across as
      exactly the same as the previous year's or as their
      competitor's holiday-related stories. Create a connection
      between your cause and a holiday or season of the year, and you
      are helping the media do their job. And did you know you can
      create your own holiday? Simply choose a day of the year, come up
      with a name for the day, write up a blurb about your idea and
      submit it to Chase's Calendar of Events, a standard reference
      book found in most libraries. That always seems to give your
      holiday an official status that makes the media want to share it
      with the public.

      5. Star power. In my community, any Hollywood great showing up
      shoots to the top of the news. For instance, the news that
      actress Kathleen Turner was going to headline a fundraiser for a
      local movie house that specializes in presenting independent
      films got front-page treatment, and will indubitably do so again
      when the event occurs. (Turner's daughter attends a local
      college.) Can you pull strings to get the governor or an Olympic
      record holder to appear? Or maybe you can rustle up a dead
      celebrity in the form of an autograph or painted portrait going
      on the block at your charity auction.

      The more you understand about what the media are constantly on
      the lookout for, the more easily you are invited into the media
      spotlight. With a little imagination and initiative, it's a
      manageable challenge.

      Publicity expert Marcia Yudkin is the author of 6 Steps to Free
      Publicity, Persuading on Paper, Web Site Marketing Makeover and
      eight other books. She has engineered coverage for herself or
      her company in the Wall Street Journal, Entrepreneur, Success,
      Women in Business and dozens of newspapers around the world. Get
      free access to a one-hour audio recording in which she answers
      the most common questions about getting media coverage at
      http://www.yudkin.com/publicityideas.htm

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/y/no-response-publicity-dilemma.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Marcia Yudkin can be reached at:
      marcia@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:marcia@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Marcia Yudkin
      http://www.yudkin.com/