Sell 'em in the Waiting Room

  • BIG Mike McDaniel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2008
      Title: Sell 'em in the Waiting Room
      Length: 470 words
      Author: BIG Mike McDaniel
      eMail: Mike@...
      Category: Marketing/Advertising/Small Business
      Copyright 2008
      Web Address: http://BIGIdeasGroup.com

      PERMISSION TO PUBLISH: This article may be
      published in magazines, newspapers, newsletters
      and on web sites provided the copyright and
      resource box are included.

      OK to edit for space and audience requirements.
      Please use an active hyperlink on websites.

      Complete Article with Resource Box follows

      Sell 'em in the Waiting Room
      by BIG Mike McDaniel, America's Small Business
      Advertising Expert

      Recently I had to spend some time in a hospital
      waiting room. There were three tables with
      magazines and most were old and wrinkled. But two
      stood out for freshness and currency. The first
      thing I noticed was the subscription label for a
      local dentist. The label had his name and office
      and address. My first impression was "nice of him
      to supply magazines". My second impression was
      "wow, what a marketer!"

      This is one of those take-your-palm-and-slap-your-
      forehead and say "duh" moments. Why didn't I think
      to offer a fresh supply of magazines to waiting
      rooms, like my dentist friend? Waiting rooms have
      potential customers who are captive readers!

      Here's a plan:
      First, set a budget for subscriptions. Next,
      select magazines that compliment your business
      (but not freebee trade magazines). Have the
      magazines sent to you, at your business, so your
      name and address is on the label. Read them as
      they arrive quickly and carefully so as not to
      crinkle any pages or make them look "used".

      Take out the "lap cards". A lap card is that pesky
      postcard thing that falls in your lap when you
      open a magazine.Tear out the ones that come with
      the magazine and insert two of your own. Not only
      do you get two stars for having your name on a
      reasonably current magazine in an office or
      waiting room, but your ad inside falls into the
      reader's lap. What could be cooler than that?

      The reader can take the card as a reminder, or put
      it back (most folks don't throw those things away
      when reading someone esle's magazine, that's why
      you still see them in two year old, worn out mags)

      Most waiting rooms and offices will be happy to
      have you supply current magazines. Keep the custom
      lap card info to yourself when offering.

      Knowing the dentist I mentioned earlier, he
      probably has several offices that get his
      magazines on a regular schedule. And I bet when he
      sees this article, he will be the first to whip up
      a lap card with a special offer.

      Make a few visits or calls to set up your
      distribution. Cook up a nifty offer and print some
      lap cards with your computer (use thin card stock
      just like the originals). When you deliver, pick
      up any of your magazines that have seen better
      days or ones that still llook good but are way out
      of date. Your mission is to be current. always
      keeping your image fresh and sharp.

      With this magazine marketing technique, you and
      your business can be creating a "wow" impression
      all over town.

      Get Big Mike's free White Paper "The 7 Scary
      Secrets about Newspaper Advertising"
      http://SevenScarySecrets.info
      ©2008 BIG Mike McDaniel is America's Small
      Business Advertising Expert. See hundreds of
      articles about small business advertising at
      http://smallbusinessadvertisingarticles.com