Copywriting Secret 10: Why Originality Sucks!

  • Scott Bywater
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16 7:24 AM
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Scott Bywater
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * realworld-advertising-articles@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Copywriting Secret 10: Why Originality Sucks!

      Article Description:
      ====================

      If you want to write great ads, which sell through the roof, you
      need to toss all your fears from school... about CHEATING, out
      the window. Here's why:

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2008-01-16 10:24:00

      Written By: Scott Bywater
      Copyright: 2008
      Contact Email: mailto:sbywater@...

      Scott Bywater's Picture URL:
      http://www.copywritingthatsells.com.au/images/scott2.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Scott Bywater, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/scott-bywater.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=5618&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/b/originality-sucks.shtml#get_code

      Copywriting Secret 10: Why Originality Sucks!
      Copyright (c) 2008 Scott Bywater
      Copywriting That SELLS
      http://www.copywritingthatsells.com.au

      If you want to write great ads, which sell through the roof, you
      need to toss all your fears from school... about CHEATING, out
      the window.

      Here's why:

      Let's imagine you have a competitor who's doing something which
      is bringing in bucket loads of cash. Maybe it's a mechanic
      who's offering a complimentary loaner car, or a coffee shop
      offering a complimentary coffee to draw in the customers.

      Many businesses would look at their competitors and think
      "Aren't they clever? What idea can I come up with to generate
      loads of customers for my business?"

      But the thing is...

      ORIGINALITY SUCKS

      There's absolutely no benefit in coming up with new ideas which
      are not tried and tested. Especially when you can take someone
      elses idea, make a few small changes and use it yourself -
      instead of trying out 20 "original ideas" that don't work.

      After all, would you go and invent a new car, instead of just
      buying one that already works? Of course not!

      So why not steal others idea, and get rich!

      Of course, to avoid infringing on copywrit, you'll need to
      change the wording, and how you explain your product or service.
      But you can certainly take the concept and use it.

      Now don't just look to your competitors. Get ideas from other
      industries as well.

      Let's take a fish and chip shop as an example. What ideas could
      they steal and apply to their own business.

      * KFC has 11 herbs and spices. What would happen if the fish
      shop created their own blend of batter which tasted sensational?
      And made their Unique Selling Proposition... the "7 secret herbs
      and spices which makes our fish taste so good."

      * Or what about packaging their product like McDonalds do into
      "meal deals" to increase the average dollar sale. Or upsell by
      asking "would you like fries with that?"

      * And if their competitor is offering "2 for 1 chips" every
      Thursday night, and it's working, why not do the same?

      * Don't just copy similar industries. What about the
      hairdressing salon down the road offering every 10th haircut for
      free. Why couldn't the fish shop offer $10 free fish and chips
      for every $100 you spend? If it works for a hairdresser, human
      nature says the concept will work for a fish shop too?

      * Or what about the mechanic who's advertising: "If we don't
      fix your car" you don't pay... Could you advertise, "If our
      fish and chips aren't the best you've ever tasted, let us know,
      and there's no charge".

      Ideas are everywhere. So keep your eye out for the next one. In
      fact, every time you see a great ad or sales letter file it
      away.

      And ask yourself how can I apply this concept to my marketing?

      All for now,

      Scott Bywater

      "Copywriting Selling Secrets" newsletter where you'll discover
      the truth about why most ads and sales letters don't work
      (And how to make yours different) scamper over to his
      web site at: http://www.copywritingthatsells.com.au

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/b/originality-sucks.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Scott Bywater can be reached at:
      sbywater@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:sbywater@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Scott Bywater
      http://www.copywritingthatsells.com.au