How Not to Write a Press Release

  • Michele Pariza Wacek
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2005
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Michele Pariza Wacek
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      * realworld-advertising-articles@yahoogroups.com

      This article has been distributed by:

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      How Not to Write a Press Release

      Article Description:
      If you're not getting the publicity you want, you may be making this mistake.

      Additional Article Information:
      Distribution Date and Time: Wed Jun 8 05:48:04 EDT 2005

      Written By: Michele Pariza Wacek
      Copyright: 2005
      Contact Email: mailto:michele@...

      Article URL:

      How Not to Write a Press Release
      Copyright � 2005 Michele Pariza Wacek
      Writing USA

      Several years ago, when I was working for an agency, I was fired
      from an account. What that means is the client didn�t want me
      writing for him anymore.

      Another writer, a friend of mine, got the account and life went

      Of course, I was pretty upset by the situation. I had completed
      several writing projects already for that client, which had
      seemed to go well, and had just finished a press release when I
      got the boot.

      My writer friend told me later her "secret" for making this
      client happy. Basically, what she did was rewrite the press
      release so it focused solely on the client and the client�s

      I said: "But what you�ve written isn�t that newsworthy. I don�t
      think the newspaper will accept it."

      She said: "That�s not what the client wants. Therefore, I don�t
      worry about it."

      And she was right. (She kept the account after all.) The client
      wanted an "I�m so great" press release. He didn�t want something
      that might actually result in coverage for him. He wanted
      something that would make him feel good when he read it.

      In the world of public relations, press releases are the
      explorers. They travel far and wide, visiting media outlets
      everywhere, and presenting information about your products and
      services. Media people decide whether or not to cover your
      business based in large part on those hard-working press

      So, there's a lot riding on them. Therefore, it pays to take a
      little extra time to make sure they're outfitted correctly for
      the job.

      When you get an idea for a press release, ask yourself this
      question: "Is this something someone else would be interested in
      or is this something only I (and maybe my mother) would want to

      Sounds easy, right? Well, if it was that easy, there wouldn't be
      so many "Look at me -- I'm so great" press releases running amuck
      out there.

      Unfortunately, the "I'm so great" press releases are seductive.
      They sound so good when you read them. They whisper things like:
      "Of course the editors will want to write about me. I would make
      a wonderful human interest/special feature/business feature
      story. Didn't I just see a story like this about my
      competitor/another business last week?"

      You need to be on your guard when one of these ideas shows up.
      Question them. Interrogate them if you must. "Why will the media
      like you? What do you offer that's different than any other press
      release? What's so special about you? Why will someone want to
      read more about you?" Don't allow their pretty words to influence
      you. You must get to the truth. Chances are what seduces you
      probably won't seduce the media.

      Remember, media people are looking for an angle or a story that
      would interest their readers. They want to know things like:
      "What's in it for my readers? Why will my readers care about this
      piece of information?"

      If you can answer those questions correctly, then you have an
      excellent chance of getting the coverage you're looking for.

      Creativity Exercises -- Write a newsworthy press release

      The only way to get better at recognizing a good press release is
      to practice writing them.

      Start by writing what you think is a good press release. Put it
      away for at least 24 hours. Don't look at it. Don't even think
      about it.

      After the 24 hours is up, pull it out and read it. Ask yourself
      this question:

      "Is this something someone else would be interested in or is this
      something only I (and maybe my mother) would want to read?"

      Really ponder the question. Don't let yourself answer it too

      Still feel like it's newsworthy? Then try this exercise. Replace
      all the references to you and your product with another business
      and product. I recommend inserting a business that is not one of
      your competitors. Use the Find/Replace function on your word
      processing software to make this a quick and easy process.

      Put your release away again. If you can wait another 24 hours,
      all the better. But even moving on to a different project and
      coming back a few hours later will help it sound "fresh" to you.

      Read it again. Do you still find it interesting now that it's
      about someone else?

      It's tough to view your business objectively. Fortunately, this
      is a skill that will get easier the more you do it.

      Michele Pariza Wacek owns Creative Concepts and Copywriting, a
      writing, marketing and creativity agency. She offers two free
      e-newsletters that help subscribers combine their creativity
      with hard-hitting marketing and copywriting principles to become
      more successful at attracting new clients, selling products
      and services and boosting business. She can be reached at:
      http://www.writingusa.com Copyright 2005 Michele Pariza Wacek

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: April 7, 2005)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      Clean links must point to the Author's links without

      must be retained where the author has placed them.

      ezine, so long as the words, links and paragraph breaks
      are not changed or deleted.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Michele Pariza Wacek can be reached at:

      for Print Permission at:

      and opinion of its author, Michele Pariza Wacek