Real Options in Stockholm and at London XPDay

  • Chris Matts
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hi All

      I just had an amazing couple of days in Stockholm with Ola Ellnestam and the Agical team discussing Real Options.

      Ola will be in London next week for XP Day ( www.xpday.org ). Hopefully we can continue some of the conversation ( see below ) weve started in the Open Space. If you cannot make it to XP Day, come join us on Tuesday night for XTC at the Old Star ( See xpday.org or the XTC website ).

      With Ola, Tom, Liz in attendance next week, it should be a top quality discussion.

      About the trip....

      On Monday night Ola arranged a Geek Night where we discussed the use of Real Options in Leadership and Management. Mickael, Ola's colleague came up with a great model ( Conflict / Collaboration Behaviour on one axis, Constructive / Destructive Behaviour on the other axis, and the mark the intent as positive or negative with a "+" or "-" ). The key outcome of the geek night discussion is that we both conflict and collaboration are needed at different times. i.e. Conflict is not necessarily bad.

      If you get the chance, I would highly recommend going to Geeknight in Stockholm. The Agical Offices where it is held are really cool, situated in the old town on a winding cobbled street. I'm not sure I believe the offices are as old as they say as it would mean they are older than even MY house which would be a huge blow to my fragile ego.

      Ola and I finished off the evening discussing Writing Comics and the Mikado ( Hopefully Ola will share more on this on this group ). He and his colleague, Daniel, are writing a book on the Mikado.

      Yesterday I had a day long conversation with Ola, Mickael and Baldrick ( They are big BlackAdder fans ). We covered Real Options, The Last Responsible Moment,  Real Option Architectural Decision Process ( House ), Feature Injection and Risk Management ( RO, FI, Staff Liquidity ). I think it is the first time anyone has managed to get through all of that material at a low level of detail in one sitting. I had several insights as a result of the discussion. Once again, hopefully the Agical team can share some of their insights.

      For me, one of the main things was that a staff liquidity approach provides options for quickly creating teams or reallocating people. Most importantly, it allows you to have 100% utilisation of staff at the same time. The need to create a gelled team highlighted the importance of the Group Behaviour / Conflict / Collaboration models. Its not an "out-there" subject, it is important for organisational risk management.

      Thank you Ola and the Agical team. It was a great couple of days.

      I'm looking forward to the "home leg" at XP Day next week.

      Regards

      Chris
    • Michael Andersson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi people,

        I'd just like to say thanks to Chris for a very stimulating and
        thought-provoking couple of days! We had a very rewarding set of sessions
        together, and I personally feel I got away with some good insights
        competing my own thought of combining the business and people aspects
        without loosing sight of technology and software development.

        I'm also very pleased about it being a very reciprocal affair, where we
        could stimulate each other, rather than just a lecture from the pulpit.

        And aye, our office is located in a building from the 16th century. Yours
        might be older, but our plumbing is on the inside ;)

        Yours,
        Michael Anderson,

        Senior Consultant at Agical AB,
        Stockolm, Sweden