Action Alert - Monday, August 7

  • donnagillette72
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2006
                        Action Alert- Strengthen the ADA in
      New York!

      BACKGROUND:
      July 26 2006 was the 16th anniversary of the passage of the American
      with Disabilities Act. This law protects people with disabilities
      from
      discrimination in employment (Title I), in the programs and
      activities
      offered by state and local governments (Title II), and in accessing
      the
      goods and services offered in places like stores, hotels,
      restaurants,
      football stadiums, doctors' offices, beauty parlors, etc. (Title
      III).
      State and local governments have added legislation, codes and
      ordinances to strengthen Title I and Title II. The New York State
      legislature seeks the adoption of Title III of the Americans with
      Disabilities Act (ADA) into NYS Human Rights Law.

      A.7294/S.5074, which passed both houses of the legislature earlier
      this
      year, clarifies the scope of protections against discrimination on
      the
      basis of disability under the New York State Human Rights Law in the
      area of public accommodations, to be consistent with the federal
      ADA.
      In doing so, it will make available state enforcement mechanisms
      through the Human Rights Law. The network has advocated for this bill
      over several legislative sessions and we are now close to success!

      ACTION:
      Please call Governor Pataki on Monday, August 7 & Tuesday, August 8
      at (518) 474-8390.Urge him to adopt ADA Title III to the NYS Human
      Rights Law by enacting A.7294/S.5074

      The Governor will be acting on this bill before the end of the week.
      CALL OR E-MAIL DONNA GILLETTE AT 315.797-4642 OR
      donna.gillette@... to let us know what the Governor's offices'
      response was. Thanks