RCA Studio Interest over at Atari Age

  • kmcfarland99
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2013
      Thought some here might be interested in some of the renewed interest in the RCA Studio II over at Atari Age - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/209519-rca-studio-ii-gold-mine-an-interview-with-the-studio-2-production-manager/page__st__75#entry2718086

      We've had communication with one of the individuals who used to run the Production Line for the Studio II. He's provided some great insight into his experience there and has been so kind as to actually repair a couple of consoles for a couple of members there (myself being one them).

      There has been a renewed interest in trying to gather together the missing S2 games. Perhaps some here may have some interest and perhaps provide some input/feedback into some of the goings on there. Thanks for looking. I'm happy to have found this group, Studio II stuff is a bit rare across the Internet it seems.
    • et3400
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
        Welcome to the group. I have actually seen some of the discussion over there, the interview material is great, and the question of a game multicart has come up a couple times over the years. There were some great newspaper clippings posted on an AA thread.

        The one thing that I don't like about the idea is that most of the multicart proposals over the years include trashing existing Studio II carts or housings to make the mulicart cases. Since I only have two actual RCA cartridges, I don't like that idea. They are not common enough to waste. It will drive prices up for no good reason on both the games and the console, and serve the needs/wants of only a few collectors in the process. If it was done with new materials, I'm not really opposed. I'm certainly not opposed to the effort to find and archive the missing S2 games, that's something that a couple members of this group have done a great job on, and everyone would benefit from.

        Once I have a few games written, carts was something I'm going to look into, but that's a long way off. I personally don't see the need, but there's a some money to be made on them. This is something game collectors might want, but I think you'll find there are way more 1802 enthusiasts who are fine using the emulator/rom combination.

        Lee

        --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "kmcfarland99" <kmcfarland99@...> wrote:

        > Thought some here might be interested in some of the renewed interest in the RCA Studio II over at Atari Age - http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/209519-rca-studio-ii-gold-mine-an-interview-with-the-studio-2-production-manager/page__st__75#entry2718086
        >
        > We've had communication with one of the individuals who used to run the Production Line for the Studio II. He's provided some great insight into his experience there and has been so kind as to actually repair a couple of consoles for a couple of members there (myself being one them).
        >
        > There has been a renewed interest in trying to gather together the missing S2 games. Perhaps some here may have some interest and perhaps provide some input/feedback into some of the goings on there. Thanks for looking. I'm happy to have found this group, Studio II stuff is a bit rare across the Internet it seems.

      • Paul Robson
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
          On 19/03/13 14:58, et3400 wrote:

          The one thing that I don't like about the idea is that most of the multicart proposals over the years include trashing existing Studio II carts or housings to make the mulicart cases. Since I only have two actual RCA cartridges, I don't like that idea. They are not common enough to waste. It will drive prices up for no good reason on both the games and the console, and serve the needs/wants of only a few collectors in the process.
          I'm surprised at that. Seems a bit pointless.

          Maybe the solution is to make it small enough to fit in an S2 case for those that want it (opening these isn't easy !) or just as a bare board.
        • et3400
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2013
            Maybe a small flash rom inside the S2 would open this up for the homebrews? Possibly beyond novice ability to install, and then there are many who would not want to modify their console. I have 1802 code somewhere for the kansas city tape standard, a basic plain card with rom/ram combo that plugged in the cartridge slot could almost be used as a "cuttle cart" if a suitable wav was played into it? All these ideas...