Re: Emma 02 Release V1.18

  • Marcel
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi Joe,

      Glad you like Emma 02 V1.18.... I guess it is actually a bit old now as I haven't released anything new since than, was early this year if I remember correctly. Have been busy with the Mac port and parked that as well for now....

      I don't know much about the TEC 1800, I assume that is an 1802 system? If you find any info on it please share so I can consider emulation in Emma 02; would then off course need to get my hands on the ROMs if it had any.

      Cheers, Marcel.

      --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn" <josephjohnblackburn@...> wrote:

      > Marcel
      >
      > I just made the leap from 1.10 to 1.18!
      >
      > I guess you have really been busy since I was away trolling at the contract IT farms.
      >
      > This release is AWSOME!
      >
      > Especially enjoy the ELF2K emulation. Opens lots of possibilities.
      > I have both the Elf2K and the original VIP, but I don't have any add-in boards for the VIP, except my one attempt to wire-wrap a 4K memory card, based on the RCA design.
      >
      > Am thinking now of making a 32K single card, so that I have enough ram to try that FPBASIC load again, directly on the VIP. You may remember, when we left off, I think we had the Bootstrap loading, but the BASIC file seemed corrupted.
      >
      > I have the add-in cards for the ELF2K, but had not had the time to assemble them up, so that's on the current agenda. Been delving into the old IPSO FACTO docs, and discovered that original TEC 1800 that Eugene Tekatch sold kits for was the one that so many of my colleagues in this area (Waterloo, Ontario) cut their mp teeth on. I had a chance to buy a built-up one, used, but passed in favour of the VIP back around 1980. I wish I had grabbed it! It was more like the ELF2K - modular in design, with add-in boards that made a "cube". It was housed in an acrylic shell, with two rack-mount handles, and battery backup!
      >
      > Now that I have more time, I have to finish restoring my original TRS-80 (needs recapping) and my Mac IIci (recapping). I have an Apple IIe Platinum as well. Slowing moving 100's of degrading floppy disks onto images for posterity...
      >
      > But I still really enjoy the 1802. Simple, easy to interface, and fun. Especially after the RAM bloat of Windows and the endless hardware push on the PC platform!

    • josephjohnblackburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
        It was the 1802 kit used for the IEEE courses, held from about 1979 or so. Many Engineers and Amateur Radio people took that course. I think it was also used to teach at Mohawk College.

        There is a slight chance that some AR person might still have one (they never discard hardware!) Maybe Ray would know? :-))

        Yes time flies when you are busy with projects!

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
          Marcel

          I noticed that some documentation refers to the TEC-1800 as the "ACE CPU" or "ACE BOARD".

          It's a bit misleading, but ACE was the Association of Computer Experimenters, or the group that grew up around the 1802. The Board was the child of Eugene Tekatch, and was produced by his company, TEKTRON, and used to teach the courses.

          So maybe someone still has the "ACE CPU" board?

          Strangely, the "cube" I recall appears to be smaller than the TEC-1800 - though one of our guys may have etched his own boards to make it more modular. We did use the 1802 in early digital television tuners, and to control ESAT reception (at Electrohome, Ltd.).