New CHIP-8 Tutorial

  • mattmik
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
      Hey all!

      Well, I've been working on my CHIP-8 tutorial for quite some time, and there's still a lot of improvements I'd like to make, but I figure it's best to just put it up online so it's out there for people to take advantage of. So feel free to check out my new CHIP-8 tutorial at http://mattmik.com/chip8.html

      I plan on expanding this tutorial, adding diagrams, examples, etc. I would also like to add information on the various CHIP-8 extensions, including CHIP-8X.

      If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please let me know!

      Enjoy!
      mattmik
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
        HI Matt:

        Very nice! Excellent work. As you know, one of the nice things about
        Chip-8 is that you can modify the interpreter to create new commands.
        That's one of the techniques used for people who have added extensions.

        73 de Ray

        On Jun 3, 2012, at 9:22 PM, mattmik wrote:

> [...]
        > Verdana; font-size: 10px; padding: 10px; } #activity span { font-
        > weight: 700; } #activity span:first-child { text-transform:
        > uppercase; } #activity span a { color: #5085b6; text-decoration:
        > none; } #activity span span { color: #ff7900; } #activity
        > span .underline { text-decoration: underline; } .attach { clear:
        > both; display: table; font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; padding:
        > 10px 0; width: 400px; } .attach div a { text-decoration:
        > none; } .attach img { border: none; padding-right: 5px; } .attach
        > label { display: block; margin-bottom: 5px; } .attach label a { text-
        > decoration: none; } blockquote { margin: 0 0 0 4px; } .bold { font-
        > family: Arial; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 700; } .bold a { text-
        > decoration: none; } dd.last p a { font-family: Verdana; font-weight:
        > 700; } dd.last p span { margin-right: 10px; font-family: Verdana;
        > font-weight: 700; } dd.last p span.yshortcuts { margin-right: 0; }
        > div.attach-table div div a { text-decoration: none; } div.attach-
        > table { width: 400px; } div.file-title a, div.file-title a:active,
        > div.file-title a:hover, div.file-title a:visited { text-decoration:
        > none; } div.photo-title a, div.photo-title a:active, div.photo-title
        > a:hover, div.photo-title a:visited { text-decoration: none; }
        > div#ygrp-mlmsg #ygrp-msg p a span.yshortcuts { font-family: Verdana;
        > font-size: 10px; font-weight: normal; } .green { color:
        > #628c2a; } .MsoNormal { margin: 0 0 0 0; } o { font-size: 0; }
        > #photos div { float: left; width: 72px; } #photos div div { border:
        > 1px solid #666666; height: 62px; overflow: hidden; width: 62px; }
        > #photos div label { color: #666666; font-size: 10px; overflow:
        > hidden; text-align: center; white-space: nowrap; width: 64px; }
        > #reco-category { font-size: 77%; } #reco-desc { font-size:
        > 77%; } .replbq { margin: 4px; } #ygrp-actbar div a:first-child { /*
        > border-right: 0px solid #000;*/ margin-right: 2px; padding-right:
        > 5px; } #ygrp-mlmsg { font-size: 13px; font-family: Arial,
        > helvetica,clean, sans-serif; *font-size: small; *font: x-small; }
        > #ygrp-mlmsg table { font-size: inherit; font: 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg
        > select, input, textarea { font: 99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-
        > serif; } #ygrp-mlmsg pre, code { font:115% monospace; *font-size:
        > 100%; } #ygrp-mlmsg * { line-height: 1.22em; } #ygrp-mlmsg #logo
        > { padding-bottom: 10px; } #ygrp-mlmsg a { color: #1E66AE; } #ygrp-
        > msg p a { font-family: Verdana; } #ygrp-msg p#attach-count span
        > { color: #1E66AE; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco #reco-head { color:
        > #ff7900; font-weight: 700; } #ygrp-reco { margin-bottom: 20px;
        > padding: 0px; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a { font-size: 130%; text-
        > decoration: none; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov li { font-size: 77%; list-
        > style-type: square; padding: 6px 0; } #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul
        > { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 8px; } #ygrp-text { font-family:
        > Georgia; } #ygrp-text p { margin: 0 0 1em 0; } #ygrp-text tt
        > { font-size: 120%; } #ygrp-vital ul li:last-child { border-right:
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2012
          Hi Matt,

          Nice tutorial, although, reading it I wasn't sure where the intro ended and the "Meat" of the tutorial started.
          I didn't read all the way through, sorry, no time for that, but at a glance through, it looks great.

          Suggestions:
          -Add a visual break between intro and the instructions eg:
          -Perhaps give a quick list of the instructions to be used as a quick reference once the user gets familiar with the instructions?
          -Sometimes this quick list is given by code # and by function.

          Anyway, this isn't really what I wanted to talk to you about.
          I have 2 COSMAC ELF VIP Game manuals (the original and manual II).
          I think I started entering these programs on the COSMAC ELF group, but I'm not sure how far I got. I was retyping the whole thing and then testing and in 1 or 2 cases debuging the game. If I scan these, do you think you can pickup on that work of entering and testing the programs?

          PS. The game manuals are not for sale.

          Regards,
          Josh

          --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "mattmik" <mikolaym@...> wrote:

          > Hey all!
          >
          > Well, I've been working on my CHIP-8 tutorial for quite some time, and there's still a lot of improvements I'd like to make, but I figure it's best to just put it up online so it's out there for people to take advantage of. So feel free to check out my new CHIP-8 tutorial at http://mattmik.com/chip8.html
          >
          > I plan on expanding this tutorial, adding diagrams, examples, etc. I would also like to add information on the various CHIP-8 extensions, including CHIP-8X.
          >
          > If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please let me know!
          >
          > Enjoy!
          > mattmik

        • mattmik
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
            Hey Josh!

            Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. I just added the instruction reference that you mentioned, and I'll work on making some more changes.

            >If I scan these, do you think you can pickup on that work of entering and testing the programs?

            Unfortunately, I don't have too much free time anymore, but if you send the scans, I'll do my best to help out. Maybe type in a program or two.

            Thanks!
            mattmik
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2012
              > Thanks a bunch for the recommendations. I just added the instruction reference that you mentioned, and I'll work on making some more changes.

              I used to be a lot more critical of things, but I've learned it's best to be supportive. I know the amount of work you put into it and I'm sure you won't get 1/10th of the appreciation you deserve.

              > >If I scan these, do you think you can pickup on that work of entering and testing the programs?
              >
              > Unfortunately, I don't have too much free time anymore, but if you send the scans, I'll do my best to help out. Maybe type in a program or two.

              I guess we are all strapped for time. I was looking over the Game 1 manual I did and although I might have fixed a bug or two, I think I took away from the charm of the manual by re-typing it.

              I'm going to just scan Game 1 and Game 2 manuals and leave it at that. And let the hobbyist have the same fun of entering and debugging the program if necessary.

              Cheers!
              Josh
            • Bee Dee
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 12, 2012
                Good job on your stuff. I've seen a lot of supposedly "professional"
                work in writing and manuals and coding that isn't anywhere near as
                well-done as your stuff.

                - Bill D
                ... CRAV Computing Hobbyist : Classic/Retro/Antique/Vintage
                ..... http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cravcomp/
                ..... http://www.donnelly-house.net/