CHIP-8 Assembler

  • MattMik
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 21, 2010
      Hey guys!

      I got kinda tired of coding all my CHIP-8 programs by hand, so I did what any other person who's not completely sane would do...I programmed a CHIP-8 assembler. I've heard of CHIPPER, but I thought it would be an interesting experience to code an assembler myself, and it was. If anyone wants a copy of the source code, just let me know!

      I definitely want to expand my assembler, called CHASM, to support SCHIP, CHIP-8I, CHIP-8X, and other extensions, but right now, it only supports basic CHIP-8.

      Oh, and there's probably still a few bugs in it, but that's expected. I mean, I finished it just a couple of days ago.

      Thanks!
      -Matt
    • Ethan Dicks
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2010
        On 6/21/10, MattMik <mikolaym@...> wrote:
        > Hey guys!
        >
        > I got kinda tired of coding all my CHIP-8 programs by hand, so I did what
        > any other person who's not completely sane would do...I programmed a CHIP-8
        > assembler.

        An excellent idea. I did something like that when I was trying to
        simplify mixed Tiny BASIC and SC/MP III assembler code for RB5X Robot
        programs (main logic in BASIC with some assembler routines for driving
        the speech chips and such). I didn't write my own assembler from
        scratch, but I was able to use an existing SC/MP-capable assembler as
        the basis for writing mixed programs.

        > If anyone wants a copy of the source code, just let me know!

        If it's written in C and just uses stdio calls I'm quite interested
        (i.e. - it will compile and run on a Linux/UNIX/Mac box). I have a
        VIP but I haven't done any CHIP-8 programming in a long, long time.

        -ethan
      • Matthew Mikolay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2010
          It's written in C++ and uses iostream. It compiles and runs perfectly on my Ubuntu computer. I'll email you the source code. Be aware, though, that it's nowhere near complete. I plan to add a lot of new features, and it still has a bunch of code I used to identify errors. Also, the input file must be named "input.asm" and the output file will be called "output.c8". There is no way to change this right now, but I plan to fix this later.

          Unfortunately, I will be undertaking a different program for the next month or so. I probably won't have more time to work on the assembler until I get back. :-/

          -Matt