Re: New Folder in Files Area for files related to Tape I/O

  • wa9hsl
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      Joseph,

      That tape design is simple and I've found it is also very reliable over the years. Most of my home-built 1802 systems use this tape interface design along with a copy of the 256-byte Netronics monitor.

      The Netronics monitor has tape read/write I/O as well as memory display/change functions from any 16-bit location all in 256 bytes. You can use it with toggle switch systems or hex key pads. I usually tuck the software into most of my elf eproms along with other applications.

      You can adjust the timing easily for different clock rates. It can also load data created on other systems such as VIPs and Super Elfs. When you consider that small elegant operating systems get really big when you add disk I/O, tape is alternative way to still enjoy simplicity with 1802 computing.

      Al

      --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn" <josephjohnblackburn@...> wrote:

      > I have put the available info for the Cassette Tape I/O discussion in a new folder in the files area. It contains the RCA Application note for the design, and material from the COSMAC 18S711 Instruction Manual.
      >
      > This design was used in various RCA systems, and is reasonably well documented.
      >
      > Hopefully it will help us in retrieving old programs from tape.
      >
      > Material includes schematics, Waveforms, and parsing description.

    • josephjohnblackburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
        thanks, Al

        This upload was to make the design available to those trying to get the VIP FPBASIC from tape working.

        The tape is 30 years old, and we have been having trouble getting a clean read.

        See the thread "Re: VP 701 Floating Point Basic for VIP/VP711"

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2010
          Thanks for the pointer. Some of the more common cassette tape problems weren't so much noise or sound quality but related to signal inversion and tape speed variations.

          Playback signal inversion is a subtle problem or one you might not think of right away and it varies from one cassette machine to the another. Sometimes even recorders from the same manufacturer would be inverted from one product line to another. I usually just make both inverted and non-inverted data available to the software through a switch.

          Sometimes you could adjust the volume level to copy inverted data but it had a very narrow range and was hard to copy the entire file. Just flipping the inversion switch would produce a nice easy to copy tape file with plenty of dynamic range.