Hello to everyone!

  • Sylvain DC
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2009
      Hello!

      First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sylvain De Chantal but i'm
      better known as "Sly DC". I'm not a computer hobbyist but i have a RCA
      Studio II and a Sheen M1200, and since both game systems are related
      to the Cosmac RCA 1802 computers, i wanted to expand my knowledge upon
      the 1802 relatives.

      So hello to everyone to this group! =)

      --- Sly DC ---
    • art3@granzeier.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2009
        Sly,

        Welcome, you will find tons of info (perhaps even over a gazillion tons)
        here. If you have any specific questions, just ask and we will try to
        answer them for you.

        For general information, check out the older posts in the message area of
        the group homepage.

        Art

        > Hello!
        >
        > First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sylvain De Chantal but i'm
        > better known as "Sly DC". I'm not a computer hobbyist but i have a RCA
        > Studio II and a Sheen M1200, and since both game systems are related
        > to the Cosmac RCA 1802 computers, i wanted to expand my knowledge upon
        > the 1802 relatives.
        >
        > So hello to everyone to this group! =)
        >
        > --- Sly DC ---

      • Matthew Mikolay
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2009
          Hey Sly! Great to see some new members.

          Ditto on what Art said. Also try checking out the Files section. We have some pretty interesting documents there, including issues of the VIPER newsletter.

          -Matt

          Welcome, you will find tons of info (perhaps even over a gazillion tons)
          here. If you have any specific questions, just ask and we will try to
          answer them for you.

          For general information, check out the older posts in the message area of
          the group homepage.

          Art

          > Hello!
          >
          > First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sylvain De Chantal but i'm
          > better known as "Sly DC". I'm not a computer hobbyist but i have a RCA
          > Studio II and a Sheen M1200, and since both game systems are related
          > to the Cosmac RCA 1802 computers, i wanted to expand my knowledge upon
          > the 1802 relatives.
          >
          > So hello to everyone to this group! =)
          >
          > --- Sly DC ---

        • Marcel
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2009
            Hi Sly DC,

            Welcome!

            I'm very interested in any 1802 system, as I would like my emulator (www.1802emulator.hobby-site.com) to support all 1802 systems. As you mention the Sheen M1200 below, I assume this is an 1802 system as well?

            I did a quick search and understand it is some kind of colour version of the Studio II. So maybe it runs the 1802 and CDP 1864??

            If so adding support in my emulator should be fairly easy.

            Do you have any data on the Sheen M1200? Like schematics, manual, chips used etc? If so are you willing to scan some stuff for me?

            Also do you have any rom dumps? both for the Sheen itself and games? This so I can test the emulator.....

            Cheers, Marcel.

            --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain DC" <slydc@...> wrote:

            > Hello!
            >
            > First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sylvain De Chantal but i'm
            > better known as "Sly DC". I'm not a computer hobbyist but i have a RCA
            > Studio II and a Sheen M1200, and since both game systems are related
            > to the Cosmac RCA 1802 computers, i wanted to expand my knowledge upon
            > the 1802 relatives.
            >
            > So hello to everyone to this group! =)
            >
            > --- Sly DC ---

          • Sylvain DC
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 13, 2009
              Art3, Matthew and Marcel, thanks very much for the welcome!! =)

              I did some browsing in the "files" section and downloaded some
              few files, but i haven't finished checking them out yet. I'm
              pretty sure i'll find informations that i didn't knew. :)

              Marcel: Yes, the Sheen M1200 is Cosmac 1802 system. As far as i
              know, there is 8 Game Systems that uses the Cosmac 1802, which are the following: RCA Studio II, Academy Apollo 80, Conic M1200, Hanimex MPT-02, Mustang 9016, Sheen M1200, Soundic Victory MPT-02 and the Toshiba Visicom.

              Only thr RCA Studio II has a black and white display, all other 7
              displays in color. Both Conic and Sheen M1200 has these built-in games: Doodle, Pattern, Bowling, Black Jack1 and Black Jack 2 and
              can display 4 different colors on screen and uses the RCA CDP1864CE.

              I don't have any schematics or manual...BUT i have the list of the
              major components in the Conic/Sheen M1200 and also have the BIOS of the Soundic Victory MPT-02 (thanks to someone of the MESS team) if you want to add it to your multi-1802 emulator.

              Or better yet, i'll upload the BIOS in the Files sctions so hopefully
              it will help you out for your butt-kicking 1802 emulator. =)

              And thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome! =)

              --- Sly DC ---

              --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

              > Hi Sly DC,
              >
              > Welcome!
              >
              > I'm very interested in any 1802 system, as I would like my emulator (www.1802emulator.hobby-site.com) to support all 1802 systems. As you mention the Sheen M1200 below, I assume this is an 1802 system as well?
              >
              > I did a quick search and understand it is some kind of colour version of the Studio II. So maybe it runs the 1802 and CDP 1864??
              >
              > If so adding support in my emulator should be fairly easy.
              >
              > Do you have any data on the Sheen M1200? Like schematics, manual, chips used etc? If so are you willing to scan some stuff for me?
              >
              > Also do you have any rom dumps? both for the Sheen itself and games? This so I can test the emulator.....
              >
              > Cheers, Marcel.
              >
              > --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain DC" <slydc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello!
              > >
              > > First, let me introduce myself. My name is Sylvain De Chantal but i'm
              > > better known as "Sly DC". I'm not a computer hobbyist but i have a RCA
              > > Studio II and a Sheen M1200, and since both game systems are related
              > > to the Cosmac RCA 1802 computers, i wanted to expand my knowledge upon
              > > the 1802 relatives.
              > >
              > > So hello to everyone to this group! =)
              > >
              > > --- Sly DC ---

            • Marcel
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 14, 2009
                Hi Sly DC,

                Wow, thanks for that! I will try to add Soundic Victory MPT-02 support ASAP so. Should be possible with the ROM dump....

                I actually did add Toshiba Viscom support last week after I got a dump for that (also via the MESS guys). The Viscom is a strange one, it does have the CDP 1861 but still has colour with some funny HW set-up. The Viscom support (and hopefully MPT-02) will be in release V1.07 which I hope to get out before Christmas.

                Also thanks for the additional .st2 files, do you know if these should run on the MPT-02 or also on the Studio II and Viscom?

                I did not manage to run any of the Studio 2 .st2 files on the Viscom.

                If you find anymore ROMs or other info please let us know!

                Cheers, Marcel.

                --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain DC" <slydc@...> wrote:

                > Art3, Matthew and Marcel, thanks very much for the welcome!! =)
                >
                > I did some browsing in the "files" section and downloaded some
                > few files, but i haven't finished checking them out yet. I'm
                > pretty sure i'll find informations that i didn't knew. :)
                >
                > Marcel: Yes, the Sheen M1200 is Cosmac 1802 system. As far as i
                > know, there is 8 Game Systems that uses the Cosmac 1802, which are the following: RCA Studio II, Academy Apollo 80, Conic M1200, Hanimex MPT-02, Mustang 9016, Sheen M1200, Soundic Victory MPT-02 and the Toshiba Visicom.
                >
                > Only thr RCA Studio II has a black and white display, all other 7
                > displays in color. Both Conic and Sheen M1200 has these built-in games: Doodle, Pattern, Bowling, Black Jack1 and Black Jack 2 and
                > can display 4 different colors on screen and uses the RCA CDP1864CE.
                >
                > I don't have any schematics or manual...BUT i have the list of the
                > major components in the Conic/Sheen M1200 and also have the BIOS of the Soundic Victory MPT-02 (thanks to someone of the MESS team) if you want to add it to your multi-1802 emulator.
                >
                > Or better yet, i'll upload the BIOS in the Files sctions so hopefully
                > it will help you out for your butt-kicking 1802 emulator. =)
                >
                > And thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome! =)
                >
                > --- Sly DC ---

              • Marcel
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2009
                  Hi Again,

                  Ok, I could not resist to have a quick look at the new files from Sly DC.

                  All .st2 files run on the Studio II emulator (in black and white...). So I suppose the Studio II and Victory might be quite similar except for the CDP 1864 / CDP 1861.

                  However I can't make any sense of the Victory buil in rom file. It starts with AB 00, so it loads current accumulator in b.0 and then an IDL instrucion. So it stops!!?? As the CDP 1864 isn't started as yet.....

                  If this is indeed the correct ROM file there must be some funny mapping of the ROM? Anyone any ideas? The file is in the new Stuido II clone folder (victory_buildin.bin)

                  Cheers, Marcel.
                • Sylvain DC
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 14, 2009
                    You're welcome Marcel! =)

                    Can't wait to try out the Toshiba Visicom and the Soundic
                    Victory in the next version of your emulator! :)

                    Strange for the Visicom, It makes me think of the old
                    General Instrument Gimini Economy 8600 systems. General
                    Instrument released a chip called the AY-3-8615 (Color
                    Generator IC) for their AY-3-86xx game chip series back
                    then and the companies in Hong Kong that made the Gimini
                    Economy 8600 systems never used the AY-3-8615, but instead
                    used 2 or 3 TTL chips with a few transistors to do exactly
                    what the AY-3-8615 was designed for. Toshiba must had the
                    same idea back then.

                    All ST2 files i've uploaded works with the RCA Studio II
                    but "should" work with the Toshiba Visicom and Soundic
                    Victory (many games are the same but changed titles).

                    So far, i don't have any more ROMS (had them for at least
                    4-5 years) but i uploaded a game list of all "unique"
                    games released for all 8 systems.

                    Let us know how this works out in your emulator. :)

                    --- Sly DC ---

                    --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Sly DC,
                    >
                    > Wow, thanks for that! I will try to add Soundic Victory MPT-02 support ASAP so. Should be possible with the ROM dump....
                    >
                    > I actually did add Toshiba Viscom support last week after I got a dump for that (also via the MESS guys). The Viscom is a strange one, it does have the CDP 1861 but still has colour with some funny HW set-up. The Viscom support (and hopefully MPT-02) will be in release V1.07 which I hope to get out before Christmas.
                    >
                    > Also thanks for the additional .st2 files, do you know if these should run on the MPT-02 or also on the Studio II and Viscom?
                    >
                    > I did not manage to run any of the Studio 2 .st2 files on the Viscom.
                    >
                    > If you find anymore ROMs or other info please let us know!
                    >
                    > Cheers, Marcel.
                  • Sylvain DC
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 14, 2009
                      Hi again Marcel,

                      Just saw that the victory_builtin file is 2 Kb in size and
                      i have a zip file that has 3 raw dumps which makes a total
                      of 3 Kb instead of 2 Kb. I've uploaded a zip file called
                      "victory.zip" which contains all 3 raw dumps of the firmware,
                      so let me know if this works (or not).

                      The "victory.zip" file was given to me by the same guy
                      of the MESS team years ago and didn't been tested since
                      the Victory driver wasn't encoded back then. You'll be
                      the first one to know if it works. :)

                      --- Sly DC ---

                      --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Again,
                      >
                      > Ok, I could not resist to have a quick look at the new files from Sly DC.
                      >
                      > All .st2 files run on the Studio II emulator (in black and white...). So I suppose the Studio II and Victory might be quite similar except for the CDP 1864 / CDP 1861.
                      >
                      > However I can't make any sense of the Victory buil in rom file. It starts with AB 00, so it loads current accumulator in b.0 and then an IDL instrucion. So it stops!!?? As the CDP 1864 isn't started as yet.....
                      >
                      > If this is indeed the correct ROM file there must be some funny mapping of the ROM? Anyone any ideas? The file is in the new Stuido II clone folder (victory_buildin.bin)
                      >
                      > Cheers, Marcel.

                    • Marcel
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 15, 2009
                        Hi Sly DC,

                        Yes that works better!

                        At least I get one of the black jack games started; I will put some time in tonite to see if I get the colour stuff working.

                        Do you know how many colours the Victory had and which colours?
                        Also do you know if the Victory also used the CDP 1864 or the 1861?

                        Cheers, Marcel.

                        --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Sylvain DC" <slydc@...> wrote:

                        > Hi again Marcel,
                        >
                        > Just saw that the victory_builtin file is 2 Kb in size and
                        > i have a zip file that has 3 raw dumps which makes a total
                        > of 3 Kb instead of 2 Kb. I've uploaded a zip file called
                        > "victory.zip" which contains all 3 raw dumps of the firmware,
                        > so let me know if this works (or not).
                        >
                        > The "victory.zip" file was given to me by the same guy
                        > of the MESS team years ago and didn't been tested since
                        > the Victory driver wasn't encoded back then. You'll be
                        > the first one to know if it works. :)
                        >
                        > --- Sly DC ---

                      • Sylvain DC
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 15, 2009
                          Hi Marcel,

                          Great to hear that it works! =)

                          he Soundic Victory can display up to 8 colors and 4 background
                          colors and pretty sure it uses a CDP1864. Check here to see
                          actual screenshots of the Victory:

                          http://www.old-computers.com/museum/software2.asp?st=2&c=1221

                          And here<s some details of the Conic M-1200 is this will help:

                          Conic M1200 Part List:
                          ----------------------

                          IC# Code Product Description
                          IC1 = RCA CDP 1802 CD V2 Main Processor Unit (CPU)
                          IC2 = RCA CDP1864CE COS/MOS PAL Compatible Color TV Interface (VDP)
                          IC3 = RCA CD4515BE 4-to-16 line decoders with latched inputs (for Keypads)
                          IC4 = RCA CD4081BE CMOS Quad 2-Input AND Gate
                          IC5 = *NONE* -----
                          IC6 = RCA CDP1858E 4-bit Latch/Decoder
                          IC7 = M58721P (CDP 1822 NCE) 256x4 RAM
                          IC8 = M58721P (CDP 1822 NCE) 256x4 RAM
                          IC9 = M58721P (CDP 1822 NCE) 256x4 RAM
                          IC10 = M58721P (CDP 1822 NCE) 256x4 RAM
                          IC11 = *NONE* -----
                          IC12 = RCA CDP 1833CE (87201) Mask-programmable ROM 1Kx8 (BIOS)
                          IC13 = RCA CDP 1833CE (86676B) Mask-programmable ROM 1Kx8 (Games)
                          IC14 = RCA CDP 1833CE (86677B) Mask-programmable ROM 1Kx8 (Games)
                          IC15 = *NONE* -----
                          IC16 = LM340TS 7805 Voltage Regulator
                          IC17 = RCA CD4019AE CMOS Quad AND/OR Select Gate
                          IC18 = M58721P (CDP 1822 NCE) 256x4 RAM (for VDP)
                          IC19 = RCA CD4069UBE Inverter Circuits
                          IC?? = RCA CD4069UBE Inverter Circuits
                          IC?? = RCA CD4001BE Quad 2-Input NOR Buffered B Series Gate
                          Note: The extra board (Called the ASTEC UM1168E3 - PAL Colour Encoder)is a RF output circuitry which
                          are driven by the CD4069UBE and CD4001BE with the CDP1864CE. (17-pins board)
                          CDP1864 Specs:
                          --------------
                          * Contains circuitry for video, sync, RGB color, and programmable frequency for tone generation.
                          * Programmable 1-to-8 dot colors plus 1-to-4 dot background colors.
                          * Bit-mapped display with maximum resolution of 192 vertical X 64 horizontal.
                          * Interlaced or non-interlaced displays.

                          Take care and keep in touch! :)

                          --- Sly DC ---

                          --- In rcacosmac@yahoogroups.com, "Marcel" <marcel.v.tongeren@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Sly DC,
                          >
                          > Yes that works better!
                          >
                          > At least I get one of the black jack games started; I will put some time in tonite to see if I get the colour stuff working.
                          >
                          > Do you know how many colours the Victory had and which colours?
                          > Also do you know if the Victory also used the CDP 1864 or the 1861?
                          >
                          > Cheers, Marcel.
                        • Marcel
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 15, 2009
                            Hi Sly DC,

                            > So far, i don't have any more ROMS (had them for at least
                            > 4-5 years) but i uploaded a game list of all "unique"
                            > games released for all 8 systems.

                            Just now noticed your game list, great thanks!

                            However I'm not the author of the 'computer' cartridge; not sure who is I just uploaded the st2 file. I think the article describing it is in the studioII.rar file.

                            Also how are you suppose to start 'bowling' on the Victory??

                            Do you know of any screen shots with more than 2 colours? Maybe you can make a few picture/photo of the Sheen running a colour game?

                            Cheers, Marcel.
                          • Marcel
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 15, 2009
                              Hi All,

                              I got some Victory emulation running with colours. I discovered the ROMs are loaded at 0x0, 0x400 and 0xc00. RAM is like in the Studio II between 0x800 - 0x8ff.

                              Colours are accessed via 0xb00-0xb3f, my best guess here is that every square of 8 x 4 pixels always has the same colour. A bit like the ETI 660 which has 8 x 2 pixels the same. At least this gives some logic in the games.... and fills colours for all 256 pixels from only 64 values.

                              However I really need some help with the colours, anyone know what the foreground colours are, i.e. RGB values? They look so different from the VIP or ETI colours (that is if I got those correct....). Same for the background, what 4 colours are there?

                              Cheers, Marcel.