Working on posting more VIPER issues

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 26, 2009
      Hi Gang:

      I've been busy with other projects for a while, but I took a look at
      VIPER #4, and there is a nice DeBUG app in there by W. A. Barrett.
      The problem with the article is the quality of the text. Even in an
      original copy (let alone a scan) of the article, it's like piecing
      together parts of the Dead Sea scrolls. I have managed to retype all
      the original article text, with a few very minor editorial changes,
      and will now attempt the code dump. That's the most critical part,
      of course.

      If someone happens to have a legible printout of that code, I'd
      appreciate a copy. But I suspect that such a printout will be hard to
      find, so I'm going to attempt typing in the data. The author has two
      versions of the code.. one for a 2K VIP and one for a 4K VIP. Even
      though there are more articles in that issue (Vol 1, #4), I think it
      would be worth posting this article by itself, until I can get to the
      other items. That issue, BTW, featured a couple of classic editors
      for the VIP, one by Don Stein and the other by Sam Hersh. It was also
      the issue that had first mention of RCA's Tiny BASIC.

      73 de Ray
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2009
        Hi Gang:

        I finished typing up that article and the code, and have uploaded them
        as a PDF to the group site. Look in the VIPER folder.

        73 de Ray

        On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Ray Sills wrote:

        > Hi Gang:
        >
        > I've been busy with other projects for a while, but I took a look at
        > VIPER #4, and there is a nice DeBUG app in there by W. A. Barrett.
        > The problem with the article is the quality of the text. Even in an
        > original copy (let alone a scan) of the article, it's like piecing
        > together parts of the Dead Sea scrolls. I have managed to retype all
        > the original article text, with a few very minor editorial changes,
        > and will now attempt the code dump. That's the most critical part,
        > of course.
        >
        > If someone happens to have a legible printout of that code, I'd
        > appreciate a copy. But I suspect that such a printout will be hard to
        > find, so I'm going to attempt typing in the data. The author has two
        > versions of the code.. one for a 2K VIP and one for a 4K VIP. Even
        > though there are more articles in that issue (Vol 1, #4), I think it
        > would be worth posting this article by itself, until I can get to the
        > other items. That issue, BTW, featured a couple of classic editors
        > for the VIP, one by Don Stein and the other by Sam Hersh. It was also
        > the issue that had first mention of RCA's Tiny BASIC.
        >
        > 73 de Ray

      • Matthew Mikolay
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2009
          I actually have a few parts of Issue 4 already typed out from a little bit ago. I never got around to finishing the whole thing, mainly because of the article that you mentioned. It's very discouraging when you run text through OCR software and get nothing but random letters out. LOL! I'll try to remember to post them soon.

          Thanks!
          -Matt

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2009
            Just letting you guys know I am going to be showing off my Cosmac VIP at the Vintage Computer Festival in NJ.