Re: [rayofhopeuk] Stash busting!

  • Anita
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2006
      I have not only a yarn stash but a fabric one too! Naturally I have
      plans for the lot of it.... honest!

      julia rees wrote:
      > Are you the sort of super organised person that knows just what is in
      > your stash? Or are you like me, going through the stash is like
      > digging up buried treasure - or rubbish!

    • Janet Mckeague
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2007
        Well my stash isnt too shameful, it fits into two of those (big!) under-bed boxes from £-stretcher.  But on the other hand, I'm only 20 and i've gathered it all in about 5 years! My problem is that I have lots of "cheap" yarn.  I have nothing against it really BUT it doesnt knit up right for my patterns.  Although I'm a poor student it REALLY frustrates me to spend ages knitting up a beautiful pattern and have it look wrong because the yarn is too thick etc.  I love Sirdar patterns so I have promised myself when I knit all my cheap yarn up I am going to invest in the 'real' stuff!  I want to knit LOADS for charity this year.  Before this I ran my own charitable organisation and all the organistion really ate into my crafting time. Hapy new yr everyone!
        *hugs*
        Janet M.

        julia rees <juliaruth71@...> wrote:
        Are you the sort of super organised person that knows just what is in your stash?  Or are you like me, going through the stash is like digging up buried treasure - or rubbish!  A few weeks before Christmas I bought a bargain lot of yarn from Ebay, all good quality, unused yarn, weighing about 3 kg altogether.  That rather pushed the stash hiding to the limits!  Then a friend of a friend who was moving house sent me some yarn.  7KG of it!  Lots of new, unused, unopened packets etc, plus a large amount of scrappy bits.  By now I was waayy past crisis point!  So I had a good sort out of bits.  Now my bits - you know, strange yarns, strange colour, tiny amount etc - are up in the attic in a bag (out of sight, out of mind!) so when I was putting the Christmas decorations away today I took a deep breath, and pulled it all out of the attic.  Oh my!  The result was almost two crates full of yarn in various amounts, colours and thicknesses.  It won't go away if I keep ignoring it in the attic so I have started crocheting it up into an afghan.  Nothing fancy, just a giant granny square, but it will keep someone warm.  I'm using an equivalent of Aran weight, with a strand of DK knitted with a strand of 4 ply, and a biggish hook.  Course, having decided that was what I was going to do I had to start it straight away, despite the two half finished sweaters on the needles.  I have NOO willpower!!

        So that was my day's work.  What is everyone else up to?  Any stash busting new year resolutions?

        Julia

        http://community. webshots. com/user/ juliaruth

        Think Once, Think Twice, Think BIKE.