Buttonholes

  • Wendy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
      I have been experimenting with buttonholes for little cardigans and
      haven't really found a good method which gives a neat finish-either
      that or I'm reading the instructions wrongly (very likely!). Any
      advice gratefully received.
      Many thanks
      Wendy
    • phoebe5uk
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
        Hello Wendy,

        I always find buttonholes a pain, whether on tiny items or adults!
        There alway seems to be a strand of yarn across the hole. Grrr! That
        said, I find that the tiny, one stitch, buttonholes tend to be
        neatest.

        I'm sure you've tried these so I'm not saying anything new - yarn
        forward, k2tog. I always have problems with the buttonholes over
        several stitches where you cast off and then cast on again on the
        next row.

        Have you Googled for them? Here's a link to about.com who seem to
        have an answer for just about everything!

        http://knitting.about.com/library/weekly/aa123100.htm

        I hope you find this helpful and when you've found the 'perfect'
        method, please share!

        Hugs, Chris, Stourbridge.
      • Christine
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
          Hi Chris,
          Thats a good site. Thanks for that info. I too do my buttonholes like
          you, but I will take a good read of the site. I had an e mail off site
          last week from an English lady living in Spain who had just taken up
          her needles again after many years. She had knit a scarf and couldnt
          remember for the life of her how to cast off. I managed to explain,
          but forwarding that site would have been far simpler. Hope you are all
          keeping well.

          Chris
          Ray of Hope
        • Kathleen O'Brien
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
            Hello ladies,
            I must wish you all a belated HAPPY NEW YEAR.
            I also do my small buttonholes(wrn knit 2 tog.) and larger ones (cast off 2sts on row 1)= (cast on 2 sts on row 2)
            well I haven't done any sewing or knitting since before xmas. but hope to start again soon, what are you needing at the moment Christine?
            regards Kath

            Christine <chrisrayofhope@...> wrote:
            Hi Chris,
            Thats a good site. Thanks for that info. I too do my buttonholes like
            you, but I will take a good read of the site. I had an e mail off site
            last week from an English lady living in Spain who had just taken up
            her needles again after many years. She had knit a scarf and couldnt
            remember for the life of her how to cast off. I managed to explain,
            but forwarding that site would have been far simpler. Hope you are all
            keeping well.

            Chris
            Ray of Hope

          • M DONOVAN
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
              Hi Wendy
              I bought a video this week from Metropolitan, it goes into buttonholes, hems and pockets, it seems quite good, might be worth a try
              Mary x

              Wendy <wendyhoskin@...> wrote:
              I have been experimenting with buttonholes for little cardigans and
              haven't really found a good method which gives a neat finish-either
              that or I'm reading the instructions wrongly (very likely!). Any
              advice gratefully received.
              Many thanks
              Wendy

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • lorraine davies
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2006
                Hi Wendy,

                I do  Knit 2, yarn forward, Knit 2 together knit to the end

                hope this helps

                lorraine

                Wendy <wendyhoskin@...> wrote:
                I have been experimenting with buttonholes for little cardigans and
                haven't really found a good method which gives a neat finish-either
                that or I'm reading the instructions wrongly (very likely!). Any
                advice gratefully received.
                Many thanks
                Wendy

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              • Christine Cooper
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 5, 2006
                  Hope some of the buttonhole ideas are of use.Are you all
                  keeping free of these dreadful colds we seem to have round
                  here. One minute you think they've gone then the next week
                  they are back with a vengance. For those of you who
                  remember me having a new grandson last year , well he was
                  One last Friday. They say time goes faster when your older.
                  Well its getting frightening how fast it goes.

                  Kath the answer to you is any of your sewing. 6" squares or
                  sewn gowns in particular. I am today looking on google for
                  a cross stitch fairy suitable for a tooth fairy. One lady
                  in our club has been doing small suares for cards with some
                  of the aida you sent to us Chris. We are going to do some
                  8" - 10" tooth fairy pillows for the hospital stall and she
                  is going to cross stitch some fairies and stitch the words
                  tooth fairy on. If the work out well I will take some
                  photos. ( These things go well for grannie to buy for the
                  siblings) although they did have a baby born a couple of
                  months ago with 2 teeth. Which reminds me Did anyone see
                  the TV the other night and the child of 8 ( Eight years)
                  still being breast fed. I found that a little iffy.

                  Best Wishes
                  Christine
                  Co ordinator *Ray of Hope* ( teenytinybabywear)
                  www.rayofhope.co.uk