Does anyone know...

  • phoebe5uk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2008
      ...how patterns are sized? Chris was asking for finished size 14" and
      16" matinee coats, so I've been collecting (or should I say amassing,
      LOL?) patterns and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

      I've received one today which says to fit 14" but the finished size is
      22.25"!! Maths is a bit rusty since I left school so many moons ago,
      but I reckon that's more than half as big again. Sheesh!

      Hugs, Chris, Stourbridge.
    • maggieandrews1999
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 25, 2008
        --- In rayofhopeuk@yahoogroups.com, "phoebe5uk" <bob.chris@...> wrote:

        > ...how patterns are sized? Chris was asking for finished size 14"
        and
        > 16" matinee coats, so I've been collecting (or should I say
        amassing,
        > LOL?) patterns and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to
        it.

        > I've received one today which says to fit 14" but the finished size
        is
        > 22.25"!! Maths is a bit rusty since I left school so many moons ago,
        > but I reckon that's more than half as big again. Sheesh!
        >
        > Hugs, Chris, Stourbridge.

        Depends on the designer !!!!!

        I allow about 2 inches ease or control the size by thickness of yarn.
        E.G. Normal 4 ply first size pattern knitted in 2 ply at an
        appropriate tension will do for 2 - 3 lb baby,
        and in 3 ply for 4 - 5 lb baby.

        If you want a specific measurement you will have to adapt
        the pattern you want to use mathematically,
        or use a charting device.

        Not much help I know.

        Maggie