Re: NEW CD-DVD in MEXICO

  • Doug Mitchell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2006
      Today I received my copy of the DVD+CD and I have to say it is just
      as bad as Juan describes. It's better to watch the DVD with the
      sound muted!

      The set is available packaged in either a CD jewel case or a black
      DVD case (mine was the latter). The CD sounds ok except for Paloma
      Blanca. I don't know why they bother to include a song if they don't
      have a good quality recording of it.

      The DVD had a couple of clips I don't remember seeing before from
      the 1970s (Ray without his beard). I suppose the DVD is a treat for
      fans who don't have any other Conniff videos.

      For me, both the DVD and the CD will get just one play before it
      gets shelved.

      Doug

      --- In ray_conniff@yahoogroups.com, "juan" <juanantonio_ojeda@...>
      wrote:

      > HI DEAR DOUG AND MANFRED.
      > HI ALL.
      >
      > Due to the information sent to me by our good friend in Russia,
      Igor
      > Karpov, I was able to find a new collection released by SONY BMG
      > México in a joint venture with Mexico's TELEVISA NETWORK, "RAY
      > CONNIFF-LAS NUMERO 1" (RAY CONNIFF's NUMBER ONES). The set
      includes a
      > cd with the same songs (20) of the 50s and 60s used in every
      > compilation, excepting "I Don't Know How To Love Him" and "Paloma
      > Blanca". Obviously I bought it because of the DVD, which includes
      > many very bizarre sellections like PLENO VERANO, FRENESI, PALOMA
      > BLANCA, CABALLO VIEJO, AMOR AMOR, VEN CON EL ALMA DESNUDA and EL
      > AFRICANO! (among others).
      > Very excited I turned on the DVD player just to get very, very
      > disappointed of the video work...Having Televisa some of the
      greatest
      > moments of Conniff in MEXICO in its archives, they choose songs
      from
      > an open (free) concert in the streets of Mexico City in the 90s
      with
      > a very poor quality in sound and video, and some tracks from
      around
      > 1968 in the FESTIVAL DE LA CANCION LATINA or whatever it may be,
      with
      > the MEXICAN SINGERS! that he used in "EN ESPANOL" . Other tracks
      are
      > some kind of video clips that seem like a joke.....
      >
      > What's this? A shame...Ray Conniff visited MEXICO several
      > times,beeing the main ones at the end of 1975, and in 1982.
      > In the 75 tour, where he presented more or less the same
      repertoire
      > previously performed in the Japan tour, he performed at EL PATIO
      (the
      > No.1 night club of that era) and recorded a TV show for Televisa
      in
      > its own facilities. This TV show was very well produced, with 12
      or
      > 13 wonderful songs including many of the then latest recordings,
      and
      > with some of his original singers of that time (16)!
      > In 1982 Ray came back with 8 singers with a more latin touch to
      > present SIEMPRE LATINO. The tour included a show in the HOTEL DEL
      > PRADO that was recorded for TV audiences by TELEVISA.
      > None of these shows were included in the DVD. Specially the 1975
      tour
      > was heavy in 70s material.
      >
      > Due to the erratic takes that anyone can appreciate, at the
      beginning
      > of the DVD Televisa states: "What you're going to see is a true
      > documental material of several presentations of Mr. Conniff in
      > México, and that's why some mistakes are evident in some tracks"
      > Uff!
      > In the liner notes, a producer of the project (Jorge Ibarra) calls
      > Conniff "the most beloved and admired band leader of all time..."
      Is
      > this what he deserves, Mr Ibarra?
      > And for your archives: Mr Ibarra wrote that "Conniff had in the
      > unforgettable mexican musician Juan Garcia Esquivel (ESQUIVEL) an
      > important assistant in the choral structure of his orchestra, this
      > being always told by Conniff to the international
      media"...whaaaat???