RE: [Raw Food] Vinegar??

  • Jennifer Eli
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 30, 2004
      Why is it not raw? It is not cooked (Heated). So why not?

      Jenn (new to raw foods and genuinely curious)

      Peter Gardiner <petergardiner@...> wrote:
      Vinegar is not raw by any test.

      Peter

    • nyia12
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
        Hey Thanks Nikki! All that info is great!

        nyia

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "goodkarma" <karmacharmer@m...>
        wrote:
        > I think you could sub lemon juice maybe? Depends on what you are
        using it
        > for though... like in dressings and a marinade it would work fine.
        Or buck
        > the system and use "raw" apple cider vinegar ;o)
        > peace
        > nikki
        > ps... just did a search on ACV and found this
        > Apple cider vinegar is a solution of acidic acid produced by
        > fermentation of apples. It consists of acid, water, and only
        relatively
        > small quantities of minerals. Although, it does contain a fair
        amount of
        > pectin, which has recently been identified as lowering cholesterol
        and may
        > be the secret behind it is fat burning effects.
        >
        > That tells me it is raw. Fementation is not cooking.
        >
        > Also found this......
        > The vinegar is made from fresh natural apples that contain
        pectin - a
        > soluble fiber which stays in the body longer. These fibers bind
        themselves
        > to the cholesterol globules and pull them out of the body - and
        everybody
        > knows the value of lower cholesterol in the body.
        >
        > And this....
        >
        > The basis of ACV is sweet apple cider. Sweet apple cider is the
        juice of the
        > apple. When sweet cider is exposed to air for a few weeks it
        ferments into
        > alcohol. This is called hard cider. Once the hard cider ferments
        (again)
        > into acetic acid, it then becomes vinegar. The process is known as
        acetous
        > fermentation and it occurs in 2 stages.
        >
        > The process begins when yeast (naturally present on the outer skin
        of
        > apples) converts the sugar in apples to alcohol. When alcohol and
        air
        > combine, the oxygen in the air interacts with tiny bacteria called
        vinegar
        > bacillus. This bacillus occurs naturally in the air and coverts
        the alcohol
        > into acetic acid.
        >

        > This all tells me that it is indeed RAW. It may not fit into some
        peoples
        > chosen eating plan but it's not heated, just fermented.
        >
        > If you have any questions i found all this in 2 google searches.
        The first
        > was for "apple cider vinegar" and the second was "how is apple
        cider vinegar
        > made". I got this info from links that popped up on the first page
        of each
        > search.
        >
        > peace
        >
        > nikki
        >

        > Thanks for your responses everyone. I still am a little confused,
        > but I think I understand. I guess everyone defines raw different.
        > But, just for clarification, do they cook the apples to make
        > vinegar? And if so, how do they get away with using raw on the
        label?

        > Finally, in recipes, what can I substitute for apple cidar
        vinegar?

        > nyia
        >

        > ---

      • goodkarma
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
          If you check out my reply to the message "Thanks and a question" i found
          many sites that talk about how it's made and as far as apple cider vinegar
          goes, it is raw. Do some research on Google, that's how i found lots of info
          :o) Sometimes it's good to check things out and not just take my (or someone
          else's) word as the truth. I had to start doing that when i would see two
          totally opposite statements and knew only one was true.
          I'm like you.... just curious about it all.
          Good luck and let us know if you find out any info!
          peace
          nikki

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
            Jenn,

            Vinegar is a man made concoction best suited to vinegar flies.

            Peter

            Why is it not raw? It is not cooked (Heated). So why not?

            Jenn (new to raw foods and genuinely curious)

            Peter Gardiner <petergardiner@...> wrote:
            Vinegar is not raw by any test.

            Peter
          • tev treowlufu
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2004
              I would ask at this point: why not just eat apples?
              The pectin and juice are all there in a neat little
              package. Why mess with them?

              Vinegar seems to me to be just another "man
              interfering with nature" activity; and just doesn't
              strike me in the head, like Newton's apple, as food.

              It may be raw, as you have found. It may be a
              substance that some want to consume as a "food,"
              but to me it seems it requires too much processing
              in order for it to be optimal to health.

              Just my big fat opinion. Enjoy your ACV is that is where
              your teeth take you.

              regards,

              tev

              goodkarma <karmacharmer@...> wrote:
              just did a search on ACV and found this
              Apple cider vinegar is a solution of acidic acid produced by
              fermentation of apples. It consists of acid, water, and only relatively
              small quantities of minerals. Although, it does contain a fair amount of
              pectin, which has recently been identified as lowering cholesterol and may
              be the secret behind it is fat burning effects.

              Also found this......
              The vinegar is made from fresh natural apples that contain pectin - a
              soluble fiber which stays in the body longer. These fibers bind themselves
              to the cholesterol globules and pull them out of the body - and everybody
              knows the value of lower cholesterol in the body.

              The experience of dynamic religious living transforms the mediocre individual into a personality of idealistic power. Religion ministers to the progress of all through fostering the progress of each individual, and the progress of each is augmented through the achievement of all. [The Urantia Book: 1094:1]