RE: [Raw Food] Re: gotta Q?

  • Peter Gardiner
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 29 11:20 PM
      Nyia,

      The craving for dates could well be the fauna in your gut asking for its
      fix.

      Away of shifting it out is to fast. Another is simply to eat green leaves
      instead.

      Pure water is another distraction which sometimes helps reduce craving.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
        I´ve heard that eating dried apricots can help diminish sugar cravings, as it has a high zinc concent.

        Mirian/Brazil

        De:"nyia12" eeyore_0_4@...

        Para:rawfood@yahoogroups.com

        Cópia:

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
          I went through a major date craze in the mid 90's. I guess it's part
          of the process for some. I avoid them now though and haven't had
          many in the past year. I just know I have a tendency to overeat them
          and want them too badly so I'd rather just give them up. I will
          resort to them on occasion, still though, for the mental relief. But
          I know my sugar needs are adequately supplied with other fruit, so I
          don't bother with them.

          I don't think it's much possible to overeat raw plant food. That's
          what I've had to resort to over the years of trying to get raw, lots
          of dates, avocados, bananas, grapes, raw nuts, and any other raw item
          I could stuff myself on. But these ones mentioned seem to have the
          greatest attraction, compulsion. I suppose our physicality is
          predisposed to them in this way.

          I will say that when I did rely on dates for virtually every day back
          in '95 or so for about nine months of being raw, my lack of progress
          feeling, being comfortably raw, and not relying on an item so much,
          played on my mind and probably contributed to my relapse back into
          not eating raw. So I would resist when you can just to give yourself
          the satisfaction of the effort.

          I like raw nuts too and do rely on them more than I would like, but
          that's part of the physical detoxing transition period and who's to
          say how long it will last. I generally don't eat nuts during the
          day, I just binge a little at night for the emotional relief. I
          don't know when I'll feel ok about cutting back on them.

          I'm not worried in the least about the fat aspect. It's just the
          needed reliance that gets me, but I have to be patient with that. I
          don't know why you worry about the fat aspect, I don't think it
          compares hardly at all to the SAD diet.

          Rich

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "nyia12" <eeyore_0_4@y...> wrote:
          > It is interesting that you bring this up. I didn't even really
          > realize it but I too am having really bad sugar cravings. I ONLY
          > want to eat dates (and some nuts). But mostly dates. I could
          > literally eat nothing else.
          >
          > This craving for dates, ie. sugar, is part of transitioning? Does
          > anyone know why? And is it ok to indulge if it is through raw food
          > or should I try to resist. To be honest resisting is almost
          > impossible. I think I have only had one day in the last 10 where I
          > managed to not eat dates. Most days I cave and eat 6 - 12 dates and
          > a zillion nuts. I am kinda of worried about all this fat, as well
          as
          > only wanting one food for so long.
          >
          > nyia
        • Velvet
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi there

            Franky I don't think human apes are MADE to eat just greens. I think
            the reason they have devloped a sweet tooth as a species is juat so
            they DO in fact ACTUALLY GO for sweet properly ripened foods like
            fruits....

            I expect that this may have something to do with the greater needs
            of their brain metabolisms for sugars...

            What do you think?

            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2004
              Velvet,

              A good point.

              As a generalization, the heavily weighted frugivores had bigger brains and
              smaller large intestines for fermenting vegetables.

              Rather like man. The spider monkey shares those features even has longer
              back legs! He has a tail which we do not and is highly mobile. It looks as
              though gorillas and chimps are cousins not ancestors.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
                I think Peter G. advertizes more fruits than vegetables. I'm
                comfortable with the opposite. I want some sweets but it doesn't
                seem as healthy as more vegetables. I don't know what the reasons
                for that could be. It could be conditioning from when we're younger,
                learning that we don't want too much sweets like candy, or it could
                actually be scientific nutritionally speaking.

                Certainly there are animals like fruit bats who subsist completely on
                fruit so it is done healthily and properly by some animals.

                Rich
              • Rich Sachs
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
                  Urantia Book P.707 - §5 And now, after almost nine hundred
                  generations of development, covering about twenty-one thousand years
                  from the origin of the dawn mammals, the Primates suddenly gave birth
                  to two remarkable creatures, the first true human beings.
                  P.707 - §6 Thus it was that the dawn mammals, springing from the
                  North American lemur type, gave origin to the mid-mammals, and these
                  mid-mammals in turn produced the superior Primates, who became the
                  immediate ancestors of the primitive human race. The Primates tribes
                  were the last vital link in the evolution of man, but in less than
                  five thousand years not a single individual of these extraordinary
                  tribes was left.

                  --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Gardiner" <petergardiner@e...>
                  wrote:
                  > Velvet,
                  >
                  > A good point.
                  >
                  > As a generalization, the heavily weighted frugivores had bigger
                  brains and
                  > smaller large intestines for fermenting vegetables.
                  >
                  > Rather like man. The spider monkey shares those features even has
                  longer
                  > back legs! He has a tail which we do not and is highly mobile. It
                  looks as
                  > though gorillas and chimps are cousins not ancestors.
                  >
                  > Peter
                • Viveca Park
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
                    As we've heard mentioned many time...we should listen to our
                    bodies.

                    But I had a thought that popped into my mind when reading Rich's
                    post.

                    Maybe the fruit is sweet to entice us to eat it? Also, there are
                    a lot of wonderfu fruits that aren't as sweet as others.
                    Luckily, we have tons of fruits to choose from.

                    I am led to eat more fruit than vegetables, but eat both. I also
                    feel better by starting out my day with fruit and work my way
                    toward my large salad and some nutbutter with celery for dinner.

                    Just my 2 cents, but we are all different and we have to find our
                    own way of eating that works for us.

                    Viveca
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

                    Vita-Mix -- For Nutrition You Can Taste!
                    Read my review and get free shipping.
                    http://www.vnetcybermall.com/vitamix

                    I think Peter G. advertizes more fruits than vegetables. I'm
                    comfortable with the opposite. I want some sweets but it
                    doesn't
                    seem as healthy as more vegetables. I don't know what the
                    reasons
                    for that could be. It could be conditioning from when we're
                    younger,
                    learning that we don't want too much sweets like candy, or it
                    could
                    actually be scientific nutritionally speaking.

                    Certainly there are animals like fruit bats who subsist
                    completely on
                    fruit so it is done healthily and properly by some animals.

                    Rich

                  • alex
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
                      I eat 8 raw eggs per day .
                      Alex

                    • Peter Gardiner
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2004
                        Rich,

                        You are right. I eat more fruit than vegetables.

                        As I see it the best answer in the end is through taste. Your body will
                        tell you.

                        Certainly the most dangerous indicator of diet is dogma.

                        The trouble with taste is that it often responds to craving. On the other
                        hand, a strong vegetable bias seems to me to be the right side of getting
                        straightened up from a SAD diet.

                        Bats are mammals but parted company with our ancestors in the time of the
                        dinosaurs. Most of them thrive on insects which abounded when they evolved.

                        Peter

                        I think Peter G. advertizes more fruits than vegetables. I'm
                        comfortable with the opposite. I want some sweets but it doesn't
                        seem as healthy as more vegetables. I don't know what the reasons
                        for that could be. It could be conditioning from when we're younger,
                        learning that we don't want too much sweets like candy, or it could
                        actually be scientific nutritionally speaking.

                        Certainly there are animals like fruit bats who subsist completely on
                        fruit so it is done healthily and properly by some animals.

                        Rich

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • L.Win
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 3, 2004
                          > I eat 8 raw eggs per day .
                          > Alex
                          -
                          Good: You'll get protein and Omega 3 in a great form. Raw eggs are great.
                          Cooked eggs are deadly.
                          rusty