Vita Mix

  • DarinSuzyGates@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hey Rhonda,

      Thanks for sharing your experience about the vita mix. I took the plunge!!
      Can't wait to get it. I have been a Vegetarian aspiring Vegan for some time
      now but would like to move towards raw. I just bought Juliano's book and was
      going to do my usual and buy overboard on cookbooks on a subject that I was
      interested in. It was first "regular" cookbooks...then ovo lacto veg, then
      vegan, now raw. But have decided to try some recipes out of Juliano's book and
      substitute maybe some others from the web until the jury is in weather I would
      (or feel like I can) do this long term or not. Besides somebody can only have
      so much room for books esp. ones they don't use any longer (the charity's
      benefit though!). Instead I put that money that I normally would have spent on
      cookbooks to the Vita Mix. Really looking forward to it!

      Suzanne <><

    • Alex Malinsky

        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Rhonda:

          I have had a vitamix for about 5 years and I love it. I have also bought stuff
          online from I think the site alex recommended. There's also a guy on Ebay
          that sells good priced items (I bought sprouter and wheatgrass juicer) if not
          the same person.

          I also saw Juliano yesterday at his Raw restaurant in Santa Monica as I am
          vacationing in CA. I didn't get to try out a few things because they were out of
          them, and had to stick to dessert stuff because of all the jalapeno peppers in
          the dishes. My fiance loved it tho! He knows Juliano from a non-cooking class
          in Chicago.

          There are also some recipe books I just ordered that seemed easier than
          Juliano's. I haven't gone through them all to tell you the titles now, but I will
          post as I do.

          Wendy

          > alex

        • Nina Dunham
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 7, 2004
            I got my Vitamix and juicer on e-bay and got a great price.

            Nina

            --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Alex Malinsky <alexmalinsky@y...>
            wrote:
            > you can get a grest deal on a vita mix from
            www.rawguru.com/superstore.htm

            > alex
            >
            > DarinSuzyGates@a... wrote:
            > Hey Rhonda,
            >
            > Thanks for sharing your experience about the vita mix. I took the
            plunge!!
            > Can't wait to get it. I have been a Vegetarian aspiring Vegan for
            some time
            > now but would like to move towards raw. I just bought Juliano's
            book and was
            > going to do my usual and buy overboard on cookbooks on a subject
            that I was
            > interested in. It was first "regular" cookbooks...then ovo lacto
            veg, then
            > vegan, now raw. But have decided to try some recipes out of
            Juliano's book and
            > substitute maybe some others from the web until the jury is in
            weather I would
            > (or feel like I can) do this long term or not. Besides somebody
            can only have
            > so much room for books esp. ones they don't use any longer (the
            charity's
            > benefit though!). Instead I put that money that I normally would
            have spent on
            > cookbooks to the Vita Mix. Really looking forward to it!
            >
            > Suzanne <><

            Service.

          • palomino03@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
              Here's what he wrote..my naturpathic doc just told me the same thing :((
              Your Juicer Should Have Low Speeds to Protect Your VegetablesInexpensive juicers
              are centrifugal and spin at very high speeds to do their juicing. Common
              masticating and centrifugal juicers and blenders operate at high speed, anywhere
              from 1,000 to 24,000 RPM. The high speeds heat up the juice and cause damage to
              some of the perishable nutrients in the vegetables.The Vitamixer is probably
              the worst juicer in this category. It is advertised as as juicer but it is
              really a high powered blender and can actually grind grains. The blades spin
              around at over 240 miles per hour. This high speed heats up the juice and damages
              the perishable nutrients.

              Click here: Discover How You Can Get the Best Value Juicer on the Market, the
              Omega 8002

              > Kim wrote:
              > Subject: Re: Vita Mix
              > Dr. Mercola says Vita Mix is not good that it kills nutrients I guess in
              > juices.. I had my heart set on one..do ya'll agree? thanks Kim
              >
              > Christina here:
              >
              > I just bought a VitaMix and am so pleased with it for everything. I can't
              > imagine what Dr. Mercola is talking about. No, I absolutely DO NOT agree
              > with his statement. My VitaMix is the best purchase I've made in
              > years!!! If you want one, Kim, don't worry about what someone else says,
              > go out and buy one.
              >
              > Bright Blessings,
              >
              > Christina

            • Viveca Park
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                I also do not agree about Vita-Mix destroying nutrients.

                You can read my reveiw and get free shipping here:

                http://www.vnetcybermall.com/vitamix

                I will also be happy to send out a catalog with a lot of detailed
                information if anyone is interested. A Vita-Mix was my dream for
                many years. I've been loving mine now for almost 8 years!

                Viveca

                Kim wrote:
                Subject: Re: Vita Mix
                Dr. Mercola says Vita Mix is not good that it kills nutrients I
                guess in
                juices.. I had my heart set on one..do ya'll agree? thanks Kim

              • Christina Moon
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                  Kim wrote:
                  Dr. Mercola says Vita Mix is not good that it kills nutrients I guess in
                  juices.. I had my heart set on one..do ya'll agree? thanks Kim

                  Christina here:

                  I just bought a VitaMix and am so pleased with it for everything. I can't
                  imagine what Dr. Mercola is talking about. No, I absolutely DO NOT agree
                  with his statement. My VitaMix is the best purchase I've made in
                  years!!! If you want one, Kim, don't worry about what someone else says,
                  go out and buy one.

                  Bright Blessings,

                  Christina

                  May my journey benefit ALL beings!

                  Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

                  May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

                  May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
                  May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
                  May your Soul be filled with Peace.
                  May your Heart be filled with Love.
                  May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
                  Peace Be With You Always.
                  ~~Christina Moon
                • Jane Edenfield
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Can someone tell me the difference between the Vita Mix 4500 and the 5000
                    and the Super 5000? I see that the 5000 has a seven year warranty too.
                    Thanks

                    Jane Edenfield
                    boxers1@...
                    Odessa,Florida 33556
                  • Christina Moon
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 4, 2004
                      --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Jane Edenfield <boxers1@m...> wrote:
                      > Can someone tell me the difference between the Vita Mix 4500 and
                      the 5000
                      > and the Super 5000? I see that the 5000 has a seven year warranty
                      too.
                      > Thanks
                      >
                      > Jane Edenfield

                      Christina here ~

                      I don't know about the 4500 vita mix. I'm guessing that it might
                      just be an earlier model, but I don't know that for sure.

                      The 5000 and the super 5000 differ in that the super 5000 has a
                      second container specifically for grinding grains and making bread
                      dough. I bought the 5000 because I don't need the bread making
                      capacity. I have a bread machine if I want to do that.

                      I think that the operator has control over the speed that the VitaMix
                      runs. There is a high speed and a variable speed. Under the
                      variable, one has ten speed choices from quite slow to very fast.

                      All I can say is that I'm really glad that I bought mine.

                      Christina
                    • ztarf
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 7, 2004
                        I just returned from 3 weeks at The Hippocrate Health Spa in
                        West Palm Beach , Florida . Kelly the head chef there uses the
                        Vita mix daily for our food and in all her cooking demonstrations
                        . We need to keep proper perspective on this . Its o.k. I feel to use
                        it . I have a K-tec champ , the one chef Noni Shannon uses , its
                        just as fast I am sure . Using these appliances doesnt replace
                        huge raw salads , green juices , fresh fruit etc... I believe it all
                        balances out in the end . Dont let any one thing ruin your day !!!
                        Everyone felt better there before they all left .

                        Ztarf
                      • hastynear
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 8 7:46 PM
                          ---I need a food dehydrator can anyone reccomend one? Thanks
                        • Debi
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 26, 2005
                            I have a dehydrator but no solid sheets to make fruit leather. Is
                            there anything I can use without order the sheets that go with the unit?

                            Trying to think outside the box

                            Debi
                          • Paula Wood
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 26, 2005
                              I have heard of people using wax paper, or parafin paper.

                              paula

                              Debi <debiannp@...> wrote:
                              I have a dehydrator but no solid sheets to make fruit leather. Is
                              there anything I can use without order the sheets that go with the unit?

                              Trying to think outside the box

                              Debi

                              Gabriel cousens Raw food diet Food enzymes Vegetarian diet Vegetarian recipes Vegetarian cooking

                              When it is dark enough you can see the stars

                            • Bill Schoolcraft
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 26, 2005
                                At Wed, 26 Oct 2005 it looks like Debi composed:

                                > I have a dehydrator but no solid sheets to make fruit leather. Is
                                > there anything I can use without order the sheets that go with the unit?
                                >

                                > Trying to think outside the box

                                If you "do" have the trays, then just go buy a roll of
                                'parchment' paper, it's like wax paper but used for cookies and
                                stuff in the real world. I didn't mean that is a rude way, I
                                mean that bakers and the like buy "parchment" paper for baking
                                cookies etc.

                                Namaste

                                --
                                Bill Schoolcraft
                                PO Box 210076
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 16, 2006
                                  Hey all! I just bought a dehydrator today, and had a few questions for
                                  you.

                                  1. Can I not go above 105 degrees while dehydrating?
                                  2. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers/recipes?

                                  I know fresh is always better, but I love dried fruit and thought this
                                  would be a good way to transition from the way I was eating. It's
                                  filling, and I can carry it around with me while I'm out.

                                  Any input would be greatly appreciated!

                                  Thanks,
                                  Judea
                                • Kristi
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 17, 2006
                                    You may turn your dehydrator up to 145 degrees for the first couple
                                    hours.

                                    For tips - you can use parchment paper instead of teflex, you may
                                    mess up a few recipes at first, I generally make things a bit thicker
                                    than I think I should (crackers and leathers, I mean) and recipes
                                    try: fromsadtoraw.com

                                    Kristi

                                    On Oct 16, 2006, at 8:41 PM, lemonessence1 wrote:

                                    > Hey all! I just bought a dehydrator today, and had a few questions for
                                    > you.
                                    >
                                    > 1. Can I not go above 105 degrees while dehydrating?
                                    > 2. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers/recipes?
                                    >
                                    > I know fresh is always better, but I love dried fruit and thought this
                                    > would be a good way to transition from the way I was eating. It's
                                    > filling, and I can carry it around with me while I'm out.
                                    >
                                    > Any input would be greatly appreciated!
                                    >
                                    > Thanks,
                                    > Judea

                                  • kandace_rae
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 18, 2006
                                      > 2. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers/recipes?

                                      I have posted a few recipes online - a number of them require a dehydrator.
                                      http://kandacerae.com/category/recipes/

                                      Would love to hear of more!
                                    • Margaret Gamez
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 18, 2006
                                        judea wrote:

                                        > 1. Can I not go above 105 degrees while dehydrating?
                                        > 2. Can anyone give me any tips/pointers/recipes?

                                        Many recipes suggest turning the dehydrator up to 145 for the first
                                        two hours -- this raises the temperature of the dehydrating food to
                                        where you want to be -- at about 100-105 degrees.Then, you should turn
                                        it back down to 105. If you are going to turn on the dehydrator and
                                        leave home for several hours, it would be better to start at 105 degrees.
                                        As for recipes, check out the list files. There are all sorts of
                                        recipes that use the dehydrator... breads, crackers, cookies, and a
                                        lot of the entrees and desserts.
                                        If you have any questions about how to make crackers, I think I have
                                        done all the wrong ways, so, if you like, you can contact me to find
                                        out what not to do.
                                        Someone else wrote that she usually made things too thick - I've
                                        usually made things too thin, with disastrous results.
                                        Margaret
                                      • rawveganvenus
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Oct 18, 2006
                                          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Paula Wood <wolfmother1@...> wrote:

                                          > I have heard of people using wax paper, or parafin paper.
                                          >
                                          > paula
                                          >

                                          > Debi <debiannp@...> wrote:
                                          > I have a dehydrator but no solid sheets to make fruit leather. Is
                                          > there anything I can use without order the sheets that go with the
                                          unit?

                                          > Trying to think outside the box
                                          >

                                          > Debi
                                          >
                                          > I make all kinds of crackers, cookies and fruit leather on glad
                                          wrap (or saran wrap)in my food dehydrator......note:the really cheap
                                          plastic wrap doesn't work very well///try it you....I was so happy
                                          when i found that i could make everything i wanted...happy
                                          dehydrating..shelagh

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Oct 20, 2006

                                            Paula wrote:
                                            > > I have heard of people using wax paper, or parafin paper.

                                            You can use cooking parchment. It is available in most supermarkets.
                                            You unroll it and spread it out on the plastic mesh screen. It will
                                            be curly, but you hold it down with whatever you are to be
                                            dehydrating. I usually use it curly side down, i.e., it is curling
                                            down, rather than up-- it makes it easier to spread flat and once you
                                            start putting stuff on it, it stays flat.

                                            I think that wax paper might well melt and transfer wax to what you
                                            are dehydrating.

                                            Butcher paper might work - I don't know. I know that cooking
                                            parchment can go in the oven at 350 degrees, so I figure it should be
                                            okay in a dehydrator.

                                            Margaret