Re: [Raw Food] toothache

  • abrs@lynchburg.net
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
      I have been reading Joel Fuhrman's book "Fasting and Eating for Health". He has had a patient water fasting and cured his abcess tooth.

      Bernadette

    • Peter Gardiner
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
        Vlad,

        I once had an abscessed tooth. Sounds like you are too late to even
        save the tooth.
        My suggestion is not to waste a second in getting to a good dentist.

        Peter

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2003
          Hi Vlad,

          I had the same thing happen to me. I just went to the dentist to have a filling replaced and she drilled too deep. The tooth never felt right to me after that just as you say with yours. The dentist told me she hit the nerve too many times and I would probably lose the tooth. Many months went by and then one night I got a really bad tooth ache. It was so bad in fact that I actually took an aspirin, something I never do. I had been 100% raw for just short of 2 years at the time. I, like you, posted my question of how to help the tooth. I was told to get a root canal (not an option for me), I was told to have the tooth removed immediately, and I was told to water fast. I wanted to save the tooth if I could so I did go to bed with nothing but water and rest (with my eyes closed in a dark room). I had fasted years before with good results but this time I stayed hungry the whole time and my muscles were so sore and painful I finally broke the fast on the 6th day. I was so concerned about how hungry I was and how uncomfortable I was with the muscle pain that I forgot about the pain in my tooth and when I broke the fast I realized that the tooth pain was completely gone. Before and during the fast even water touching the tooth was unbearable so I was drinking w/a straw. Unfortunately though, I also fell off the raw wagon and am still, 7 months later, trying to get back to 100% raw. If I eat any junk food or any processed sugars, not fruit sugars, the tooth becomes sensitive and I clean up my diet and it goes away within one day. It may not work for you but I am a believer in water only fasting now. I need to do more reading and research on fasting so I don't have the problems again I had with this last fast. Good luck! Breezi

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
            Hi, thankyou all for your replies. Bernadette, I will try to check out
            the book you mentioned.
            Margie, I am in Brighton UK. How lucky you are to have a raw
            foodist dentist!
            At the moment my tooth is feeling a lot better, although the
            swelling has not gone yet. I am brushing several times a day, and
            eating much less.
            The tooth is a lot less sore than it has been for a whole year.
            I am hoping the tooth, or what's left of it :) will survive. This has
            certainly been a wake-up call to practise better dental hygiene.
            I am loathe to go to any dentist, as last time I was there I
            had this feeling 'this is butchery'. And I vowed to never visit a
            dentist again. I mean, I am not attcking dentists as such, just the
            practice of drilling big holes in teeth. I mean, I know it's my fault
            for eating too many sweets! But I just felt, for me, there has to be
            another way, that doesn't involve decay followed by drilling. I am
            glad I have managed to avoid going to the dentist this time (so far!)
            peace be with you,
            Vlad
          • Peter Gardiner
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 4, 2003
              Vlad,

              I seem to recall we had several postings some months ago about dental
              hygiene.
              One concerned chewing wheat grass for keeping the gums clean and another
              was about
              using bicarbonate of soda instead of tooth paste.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 7, 2003
                Hi Breezi,
                thanks very much for your reply.

                >...when I broke the fast I realized that the tooth pain was
                >completely gone.

                that's amazing. That totally answers my question. I agree, a water
                fast is a powerful tool. I only fasted one day, but a lot of the pain
                went just from that. (an interesting side-effect of the fast is that I
                am overeating much less too). Now the swelling is going down
                gradually, and there is very little pain.
                I am going to use the tooth as a help in sticking to a healthy
                diet. I think if I eat too unhealthily it will flare up again, maybe a
                bit like what you are saying. There's nothing like pain to motivate
                you to 'clean up your act'!
                I am currently planning to do a week long fast, but I want to
                go to a retreat to do it, somewhere away from people.
                thanks again.
                cheers, Vlad
              • Stephanie
                Message 7 of 16 , May 1 7:08 AM
                  Where the heck do you find a titanium toothbrush??
                  Steph
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 1 12:48 PM
                    > Where the heck do you find a titanium toothbrush??
                    > Steph
                    -
                    I got mine at a healh food store, but some drugstores sell them.
                    You can order from here:
                    http://www.pitrok.co.uk/soladey/index.html

                    rusty
                    > Where the heck do you find a titanium toothbrush??
                    > Steph

                  • alex
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 1 2:34 PM
                      I don't brush my teeth for years.
                      Alex

                      L.Win wrote:

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • mary
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 1 3:40 PM
                        I do not know if anyone in this group is interested in
                        what I would like to share. Therefore, I will leave it
                        up to the moderators to determine if they want to post
                        this to the group.

                        Because formaldehyde is a very significant carcinogen,
                        because I was exposed to low levels of formaldehyde
                        for over a year, and because my blood antigens to
                        formaldehyde are 350% over the acceptable safety
                        limits, I do not know how long I have to live. I do
                        not know if or when I will start exhibiting signs of
                        cancer or how many organs in my body will succumb to
                        it. I do not know if my lungs can rebound from the
                        exposure I have experienced. However, I do have a
                        wealth of knowledge about holisitic nutrition...having
                        obtained a Ph.D in holisitic nutrition, a degree in
                        Nutritional Science, and a degree in Naturopahy from
                        the Clayton School of Natural Healing. I also have a
                        degree in Nutritional Herbology (that required a
                        thesis) and a degree in Iridology (that included a 3
                        hour exam) from the AustalAsian School of Herbal
                        Medicine. Prior to being poisoned by formaldehyde, I
                        both taught classes in natural health and was a
                        Natural Health Consultant.

                        I would like to be able to share, incrementally, the
                        knowledge I gained with those who could benefit.
                        However, I do not wish to step on anyone's toes. If
                        the members of this group are not interested, I will
                        unsubscibe and not bother anyone again.

                        To give you a sample of what I can share, I will give
                        the following.

                        The first thing I would do in a private consultation
                        is get the answer to the following two questions.
                        One... How much fiber is in the current diet. Two...do
                        an iris evaluation.

                        All cooked diets (even vegetarianism/veganism)can be
                        low in fiber. This is reflected in the iris. In an
                        iris evaluation, I would first look at the status of
                        the eliminative channels: intestinal tract, skin,
                        kidneys, and lungs. 99% of all clients revealed
                        impaired elimination through the skin and intestines.
                        Such impairment ALWAYS impacts other organs of the
                        body. I could give numerous examples but do not wish
                        to make this longer than necessary.

                        I learned, not only through my studies, but also
                        through practical situations, that FIBER is VERY
                        important for the proper functioning of the body.
                        However, there is a difference between the eating
                        fruit for fiber and eating vegetables for fiber.

                        The fiber in both fruit and veggies will cause the
                        bowels to function more efficiently. However, only the
                        sap of fruit can soften hardened fecal matter on the
                        walls of the intestines. The sap of fruit does this
                        by sticking to this fecal matter and fermenting it
                        loose. This fermentation process can cause excessive
                        gas to build up in the body if there is not enough
                        insoluble fiber to push it out of the intestinal
                        tract. A good example of this would be prunes and
                        prune juice. Many people experience gas when eating
                        prunes. If the gas (from fruit sap)cannot be quickly
                        expelled from the body, it will displace oxygen in the
                        blood and cause a multitude of problems. It has even
                        caused death.

                        With just this little bit of information, it becomes
                        apparent that the first transition to a healthier diet
                        is the addition of both insoluble and soluble fiber in
                        the diet from veggies rather than fruit. Only after
                        the bowels are functioning with some degree of
                        normalcy can a person seriously consider adding lots
                        of fruit to the diet. Normalcy in stools is AT LEAST
                        least one very large stool per day. Ideally, you
                        should have a stool within one hour of eating any meal
                        and output should equal input!

                        Some in this group have transitioned from a SAD
                        (Standard American Diet) to a high fiber
                        vegetarian/vegan diet before beginning a transition to
                        a raw food diet. Such individuals are less apt to
                        experience problems with the transition as the
                        intestines are functioning more closely to normal.
                        Others, who are transitioning from a relatively
                        fiberless SAD/vegetarian/vegan diet will have more
                        difficulty transitioning to an all raw diet for two
                        reasons. First, the intestinal tract is not
                        accustomed to handling large amount of fiber. (An all
                        raw diet is extremely high in fiber!) Second, any
                        fruit consumed can trigger fermentation of hardened
                        fecal matter that cannot be easily removed (with the
                        loosened, slimey, fecal matter). Therefore,
                        transitioning to an all raw diet, while desirable, is
                        not a 'one shoe fits all' situation. While all
                        members in this group have the same goal, not all have
                        the same starting point. The starting point is not
                        just an interesting tidbit but a critical piece of
                        information.

                        mary

                        =====

                        Mary, Luvie, Ranger, & the flying brigade

                        A smile is a silent 'hello'.

                        owner of

                        'The Fully Trained Working Dog'

                        'Avian Health: Holistic Approach'

                        'Yoga for Therapy'.

                      • Melissa Matthew
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 1 9:13 PM
                          I also want to say to you, Mary, please do stay with us. You have a good heart and we can learn from you. You information is interesting, and, I'm sure I am not alone, we are thinking of you. I also want to know how this happened to you, as Tone also asked. Melissa
                        • Nicholas Costanza
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 2 5:00 AM
                            mary <marymassung@...> wrote:
                            I do not know if anyone in this group is interested in
                            what I would like to share. Therefore, I will leave it
                            up to the moderators to determine if they want to post
                            this to the group.
                            Keep the information comming. I like to hear it.

                            Nicholas Costanza

                          • mary
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 2 9:17 AM
                              Melissa and Tone,

                              In 2/2002, my hubby and I decided it was time to get
                              new carpeting as our children had finally 'flown the
                              coop'. We splurged and got DuPont's UltraLife
                              Stainmaster that was warranted again all animal stains
                              for 10 years (as we have animals). We started having
                              problems with the carpet immediately and complained to
                              DuPont. DuPont tested the carpet but did not replace
                              it or tell us it was defective. It was gassing off
                              low levels of formaldehyde continuously. I sleep in a
                              separate bedroom from my hubby because of his sleep
                              apnea and snoring. (He has a service dog for his
                              sleep apnea.) When I experienced bloody sinuses after
                              the house was 'closed down for the winter', I put a
                              humidifier in my room. It turns out that formaldehyde
                              gassing off increases in the presence of humidity! In
                              a matter of two months, the elasticity in my lungs was
                              all but destroyed.

                              mary

                              =====

                            • vegwriter@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 14, 2006
                                In a message dated 9/13/2006 6:07:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                yaqob@... writes:

                                what can be done about teeth as far as renewing them thata does not
                                include dr.

                                Co Q 10 and Folic acid are good for the gums