Raw Cashews

  • Elizabeth Pagos
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
      Are raw cashews really raw, or have they been heated? I've heard both
      sides.

      Cheers,
      Hollin

      Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now FREE!
      http://msnmessenger-download.com
    • kauguy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
        All so called "Raw Cashews" are not raw (they are blanched with hot
        water). Except one source. http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-
        bin/order/index.cgi?
        id=510290416496&d=single&item_id=0525&c=Organic_Food&sc=Raw_Nuts/Seeds
        &tc= These are expensive but all profits are used to help spread the
        word about Raw Foods, and they are delicious.

        Doug

        --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Pagos"

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 29, 2003
          Hollin;
          The web address was to long to work, so go to http://www.rawfood.com/
          and click on their "organic food" button and then go to the left side
          of your screen and click on "Raw Nuts/Seeds" down at the bottom of
          that screen it says "next 10" click on that.

          --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, kauguy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > All so called "Raw Cashews" are not raw (they are blanched with hot
          > water). Except one source. http://www.rawfood.com/cgi-
          > bin/order/index.cgi?

          id=510290416496&d=single&item_id=0525&c=Organic_Food&sc=Raw_Nuts/Seeds
          > &tc= These are expensive but all profits are used to help spread
          the
          > word about Raw Foods, and they are delicious.
          >
          > Doug
          >

          > --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Pagos"
          > <ellehollinger@h...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Are raw cashews really raw, or have they been heated? I've heard
          > both
          > > sides.
          > >
          > > Cheers,
          > > Hollin

          > > Instant message in style with MSN Messenger 6.0. Download it now
          > FREE!
          > > http://msnmessenger-download.com
        • sisterkris2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
            "Elizabeth Pagos" wrote:

            > Are raw cashews really raw, or have they been heated? I've heard
            both
            > sides.
            >
            >Hollin

            I've read in several places that the shell of the cashew is extremly
            poisonous and cannot be touched, that they must be roasted out of
            the shell, also in David Wolf's "Sunfood Diet..." on page 201-202 he
            lists "Nuts of all types" as "The best fatty foods" "Except cashews,
            which are cooked out of their shell, even if labeled raw"
            But that's just one source.
            Here' another:
            http://www.fao.org/inpho/vlibrary/x0043e/X0043E06.htm
            In this article it states:

            MAIN USES

            The main market is as a high value edible nut. Cashew yields
            two "oils". One of these, found between the seed coat (or pericarp)
            and the nut, is called cashew nut shell liquid (CNSL). It is not a
            triglyceride and contains a high proportion of phenolic compounds.
            It finds use in industry as a raw material for brake lining
            compounds, as a waterproofing agent, a preservative, and in the
            manufacturing of paints and plastics. It is toxic and corrosive to
            the skin. Cashew apples are sometimes made locally into drinks,
            wines and pickles. In some countries they are also osmo-sol dried to
            produce a date-like caramel.
            PROCESSING METHODS

            CNSL removal - before the shell is removed from the nut the CNSL is
            extracted. The traditional method of removing CNSL in East Africa
            involves roasting the nut in drums or baths. The roasting process
            not only removes the corrosive CNSL but also makes the shell
            brittle, thereby aiding the cracking process. This method results in
            the loss of most or all of the CNSL. To extract and retain CNSL the
            nuts are roasted in baths at a temperature of 180-185 deg C. Vents
            in the equipment dispel the unpleasant fumes. This method recovers
            85-90% of the liquid (Acland).

            The traditional method of extracting CNSL in India involves roasting
            the nuts in a shallow pan over open charcoal fires. Constant
            agitation is required to prevent the nuts from becoming scorched.
            This method is extremely unpleasant as the shells burst releasing
            CNSL and fumes with resulting losses (Woodroof).

            An improved method involves roasting the nuts in a perforated pan
            with troughs placed underneath to catch the liquid.

            At a larger scale whole nuts are placed in rotating perforated
            cylinders inclined at an angle above a heat source. As the nuts fall
            downwards the shell liquid flows through the holes and is collected
            in troughs. The nuts are then water sprayed and set aside for
            cooling. (Solvent extraction can also be used to extract CNSL from
            the shells.)

            Shelling - Shelling cashew nuts is unpleasant work and the hands of
            workers should be protected. The nuts and the shellers hands are
            commonly dusted in wood ash. This absorbs any CSNL remaining on the
            shell, preventing it from damaging the worker's hands and
            contaminating the kernels (Acland). In India skilled women crack the
            nuts. They use lime ash, linseed or castor oil to protect their
            hands. They squat on the floor, place the nut onto a hard stone and
            crack it open with a mallet (Woodroof).

            There you have it.

            Kris