Proper Food Combining

  • Doreen Bell-Dotan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
      B"H

      This is written in anticipation of a common reaction to encountering
      the Principles of Proper Food Combining for the first time. Most
      people think it is enough to have given up eating flesh in order to
      maintain health. While giving up meat, and often more importantly
      milk and milk products, are wonderful first steps they are certainly
      not the be-all and end-all of maximal eating.

      When we give up eating meat we need to make ourselves ready to accept
      new wisdom if we are to get the most out of vegetarian living. Moving
      up to a higher level of morality always entails becoming able to
      receive new wisdom, and we should joyfully embrace that new wisdom -
      in our own time and gradually.

      Part of wisdom is knowing what kinds of things are "just for me" and
      what things are principles that are generally, or even universally,
      applicable.

      Just for me things include: "I don't particularly like tomatoes.", I
      think purple is prettier than pink." "I prefer cherry wood to oak."
      (All of those things are true about me, BTW.)

      When it comes to certain other matters, however, it is not in our
      best interest to say that it is "just a theory" or "I don't believe
      in..." until one has researched it.

      We have to be able to discern between those types of matters in order
      to live wisely and well. Vegetarianism is a part of living wisely and
      well, but it is subsumed by wisdom, not the lord over it.

      It is simply a fact of chemistry that fully formed proteins require
      an acidic enviornment in the stomach in order to be digested, while
      carbs require an alkaline enviornment in order to be digested.

      If we eat them together the stomach will secrete both the acid and
      basic secretions necessary for the digestion of both.

      What happens? Right. Exactly what our high school chem lab tests
      taught us. The acid and the base neutralize one another. Digestion
      will still occur as the body is very determined to live, but at a
      much more sluggish rate. The mass of undigested food will take two
      or three times longer to digest and will putrify in our gut. Many of
      the nutrients will be lost. Our bodies will labor long and hard to
      digest the food. Thus, precious energy is frittered away - energy
      that might be used to bring joy to someone and make the world better.
      The last point is the reason I present the principles of proper food
      combining to you. I have no vested interest in the matter other than
      the fact that I inhabit this world with you and would like to see
      everyone's energy freed up for joyous activity.

      Beans and chickpeas, for instance, contain protein and carbs. The
      gas they give us the the result of imperfect digestion going. Even
      those natural foods are not handled well by our bodies. They rot in
      our gut. The gas is being released as part of theh process of the
      decomposition of the bean molecules. The situation is much worse if
      one eats cheese and bread.

      Proteins and carbs should be eaten separately, about 4-6 hours apart
      if the last meal was properly combined, and always with vegetables to
      get them through our gut ASAP.

      It took me years to adopt the principles of proper food combining,
      not because I didn't see immediately that they are true and stand up
      to everything we know about chemistry, as well as everything we
      experience about indegestion, fatigue and ultimately disease, *but
      because they were on a higher level of perfection than I was then
      ready to receive*. It took me years of work on myself to become ready
      to accept the principles of proper food combining, but I realized I
      needed the work, not the principles.

      There is a difference between saying: "I have not yet been made
      aware of this." or "This is more wisdom than I can handle right
      now."
      and just saying: "If it works for you." or "I don't believe in that."
      or "Poo Poo." (which is what a gut that doesn't accept these
      principles says)

      Doreen
    • fred lieberman
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
        Hi Doreen,

        "Principles of Proper Food Combining...
        ...It is simply a fact of chemistry that fully formed proteins require an acidic enviornment in the stomach in order to be digested, while carbs require an alkaline enviornment in order to be digested.

        Intuitively, we know that many things we have been taught are wrong. We fight to cut the ties with those myths to free ourselves. We need to be careful not to substitute one myth for another myth.

        It is a myth that proteins require an acidic environment to be digested. There is no truth in that statement. In fact, the person who initiated that statement lied to everyone.

        Protein needs both an acid and alkaline environment to be digested. The process of protein digestion begins in the stomach (acidic) and ends in the small intestine (alkaline).

        There are three groups of enzymes which are involved in this process. The first appears in the stomach, the second is secreted by the pancreas into the small intestine, and the third is secreted by the small intestine into the small intestine.

        Proteins are long chained molecules made up of smaller units called amino acids. Each protein structure has its own arrangement of amino acids.

        There are about 20 different amino acids which by common agreement, make up human protein - alanine, arginine, asparagine, aspartic acid, cysteine, glutamic acid, glutamine, glycine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, proline, serine, threonine, tryptophan, tyrosine, and valine.

        Eight of these are considered essential for humans, because we do not have the enzymes in our cells to manufacture them. They are lysine, tryptophan, valine, histidine, leucine, isoleucine, phenylalanine, threonine, methionine, and arginine. The best sources of these amino acids are animal sources. A second source which is less bioavailable are plant proteins.

        Each enzyme is very specific. Each enzyme is only able to do one specific action. Digestive enzymes separate larger molecules into smaller molecules.

        Pepsin, the enzyme in the stomach, which initiates (begins) protein digestion, recognizes the link, the union, between two specific amino acids. That link is where the separation takes place.

        The pancreas produces specific protein digestive enzymes which recognize other amino acid to amino acid links and act upon them. The small intestine enzymes which digest protein, act on even different amino acid to amino acid links.

        Ultimately, what is left are protein structures, polypeptides, dipeptides, and amino acids. All of these can be absorbed. The majority of the digested mixture is dipeptides (2 amino acids connected together). Only a small amount of amino acids are ever produced.

        "Digestion will still occur as the body is very determined to live, but at a much more sluggish rate.

        The body has an intelligence all of its own. It knows what is the right speed needed to digest the food we eat.

        "The mass of undigested food will take two or three times longer to digest and will putrify in our gut.

        Digested or undigested foods can putrefy in our gut. The wrong type of bacteria does that to us. Putrefying bacteria does not discriminate between digested and non-digested food. They are not prejudice.

        "The gas is being released as part of theh process of the
        decomposition of the bean molecules.

        Not everyone who eats beans becomes gassy from beans. Why?

        "The situation is much worse if one eats cheese and bread.

        This does not happen with all types of cheese, all types of breads, and every person. So, we need to ask the questions:

        What type of cheese does it occur with (almost all hard cheeses are cultured with their own type of streptococcus bacteria)
        What types of bread are we talking about?
        How is the bread prepared by the person who is about to eat it?
        What is true about the person who becomes gassy? Not all individuals are affected by this condition.

        Fred

      • Doreen Bell-Dotan
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
          ---B"H

          Thank you for this post, Fred:

          Just a couple of responses below:

          In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, fred lieberman <fred_lieberman@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi Doreen,
          >
          > "Principles of Proper Food Combining...
          > ...It is simply a fact of chemistry that fully formed proteins
          require an acidic enviornment in the stomach in order to be digested,
          while carbs require an alkaline enviornment in order to be digested.

          > > It is a myth that proteins require an acidic environment to be
          digested. There is no truth in that statement. In fact, the person
          who initiated that statement lied to everyone.

          > Protein needs both an acid and alkaline environment to be
          digested. The process of protein digestion begins in the stomach
          (acidic) and ends in the small intestine (alkaline).

          You are bearing out a basic principle of food combining. It is
          precisely *in the stomach* that the enviornment has to be acidic in
          order for proteins to be digested properly. If the process of
          digestion does not occur under maximal conditions in the stomach the
          maximum amount of nutrients do not survive the digestion process.

          > Proteins are long chained molecules made up of smaller units called
          amino acids. Each protein structure has its own arrangement of amino
          acids.

          > Eight of these are considered essential for humans, because we do
          not have the enzymes in our cells to manufacture them. They are
          lysine, tryptophan, valine, histidine, leucine, isoleucine,
          phenylalanine, threonine, methionine, and arginine. The best sources
          of these amino acids are animal sources. A second source which is
          less bioavailable are plant proteins.

          L-taurine is also considered an essential amino acid, although it
          functions differently in the body than the ones you named.

          > "Digestion will still occur as the body is very determined to live,
          but at a much more sluggish rate.

          > The body has an intelligence all of its own. It knows what is the
          right speed needed to digest the food we eat.

          It will certainly do its best to deal with what we put into it. But
          why make life harder for our bodies?

          > "The mass of undigested food will take two or three times longer to
          digest and will putrify in our gut.

          > Digested or undigested foods can putrefy in our gut. The wrong
          type of bacteria does that to us. Putrefying bacteria does not
          discriminate between digested and non-digested food.

          That is not my understanding. Please check your last statement. To
          the best of my knowledge, disease causing microbes very definitely
          prefer a putrified enviornment.

          > "The gas is being released as part of theh process of the
          > decomposition of the bean molecules.
          >
          > Not everyone who eats beans becomes gassy from beans. Why?

          Some people's bodies are healthier and moral vital than others.

          > "The situation is much worse if one eats cheese and bread.
          >
          > This does not happen with all types of cheese, all types of breads,
          and every person. So, we need to ask the questions:

          > What type of cheese does it occur with (almost all hard cheeses
          are cultured with their own type of streptococcus bacteria)
          > What types of bread are we talking about?
          > How is the bread prepared by the person who is about to eat it?
          > What is true about the person who becomes gassy? Not all
          individuals are affected by this condition.

          I would refer you to the physicians and biologists who are members of
          > The Int'l Natural Hygiene Society. They are in a better position to
          explain the reasons for the principles than I.

          You'll find some excellent resources if you search "natural hygiene
          pioneers". Take a look at Dr. Shelton's, Dr. Tilden's, Dr. Sidwa's
          work, as well as that of some of the "young" generation. Some modern
          pracitioners' sites are there as well.

          Doreen

        • Rusty
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
            ~snip~

            > Digested or undigested foods can putrefy in our gut. The wrong
            type of bacteria does that to us. Putrefying bacteria does not
            discriminate between digested and non-digested food.
            ~snip~
            the best of my knowledge, disease causing microbes very definitely
            prefer a putrified enviornment
            -
            Is not the distinction aerobic vs. anaerobic? The Lower the pH the better
            the environment fon anerobic, the Higher the better for aerobic?
            rusty
          • Roger Haeske
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
              Hi Fred, Doreen and All,

              I think we have to be careful with all of this scientific talk and rely
              more on our results and common sense. While Fred was trying to disprove
              some of what Doreen was saying I also saw some things he claimed which
              are incorrect when you look at the current research. For instance to say
              that animal proteins are more bioavailable I believe to be a false
              statement. It is however a statement or belief that is purported in many
              circles. I have read about several studies disproving that. Also all
              proteins originate from plant sources anyway, so why not get it from the
              source.

              It's simply old thinking promoted my the meat industry that animal
              proteins are better absorbed than vegetable proteins. Here's another
              example. Last summer I was speaking to a guy at Rutgers University who
              was doing research on Cancer. He was some kind of biologist. He told me
              that the current research says that now there are only two amino acids
              that are essential. The body supposedly can manufacture the rest. I
              don't know if this is true but he was a researcher in the field.

              By the way if anyone knows of where I can find more information on this
              two essential amino acid theory, please send me the links or study to
              read. The point is that science keeps on finding out more things. But
              many people are functioning with outdated information. The general
              public seems to be at least 50 years behind in their general knowledge
              about nutrition.

              But before there was science to explain and back up all of these claims,
              there was always our experiences. I know from my own experiences that
              food combining works. I do know that when I eat beans I get more gas.
              Who cares why. It isn't healthy. By the way that is one thing I disagree
              with Dr. Joel Fuhrman about. He recommends eating beans because of some
              anticancer compounds. But he doesn't know anything about food combining
              and doesn't address it at all in his book, "Eat to Live." For the most
              part it is an excellent book if you want to be convinced by endless
              studies that fruits and vegetables are the best foods for humans by far.

              Peace and Health to All of You, Roger

              Have you tried the Raw Diet many times but failed to stick with it? Now
              you can learn the Motivational and Dietary Secrets to success on a 100%
              Raw Food Diet. From Infinite Potential and Raw Food Coach, Roger Haeske,
              the author of Your Hidden Power - eClass, Infinite Tennis and
              http://www.superbeing.com <http://www.superbeing.com/> . Go to
              http://www.superbeingdiet.com <http://www.superbeingdiet.com%20/> to
              learn how to go 100% RAW.

            • fred lieberman
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2003
                To the best of my knowledge, disease causing microbes very definitely prefer a putrified enviornment

                Everything is not always as black and white as we are led to believe.

                Is not the distinction aerobic vs. anaerobic? The Lower the pH the better the environment fon anerobic, the higher the better for aerobic?

                I am not that well versed in bacteriology to answer that statement.

                Fred

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT