Input on my transition to raw...

  • Kristi Swanson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2003
      Went to bed last night knowing that today I would begin my conversion
      from vegetarian (which I have been for 14 years) to raw. I am taking it
      slowly, not by fasting (I’m not ready for one now, although I have in
      the past) but by eating raw all day until dinner.

      Last night I stocked up on black seedless grapes and Rainer cherries and
      I will be eating all organic (as I do now). I am not worrying about raw
      recipes yet, just eating whatever fruit or veggie I feel like/have on
      hand until dinner, which, at least for now, will be cooked (definitely
      vegetarian!). I do plan on making a large salad each day using greens as
      a base and then whatever else I feel like.

      For dinner I plan on something like a grilled veggie quesadilla (I
      basically roast whatever veggies I have on hand in a olive oil, lime,
      mole based marinade, then add fresh cilantro, salsa, sometimes a bit of
      cheese in a sprouted wheat tortilla) or baked potato topped with sautéed
      spinach and mushroom topped with salsa, anyway, not many grains, mostly
      veggies.

      From there I plan to gradually transition out cooked dinners at home,
      while possibly eating cooked out every once in a while (there are so
      many great vegetarian/vegan restaurants in my town!).

      But for now, I do have a few questions:

      I am looking for a few raw salad dressing recipes. I’m very into fresh
      herbs, so any based on herbs or complimenting herbs would be great.

      Is olive oil raw?

      Any fats I’m missing besides, nuts, seeds, avocadoes, olives, and coconuts?

      I don’t plan on adding much grain, but which are the best (kamut and
      spelt, maybe?) and how do you prepare them?

      Is there anything I am obviously overlooking?

      kristi
    • Shanti Eaglemeare
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2003
        Kristi, out of the vegetables, spinach is probably the worst one to cook.
        The heating process changes the minerals in spinach into insoluble and
        indigestible components that get deposited into joints etc. since the body
        can't eliminate them all, leading to arthritis, kidney stones etc. over
        many years.
        Spinach is delicious raw as a salad.
        Good luck!
        Shanti