HEALTH: XPOST [SouthBayVeggies]: New rice variant contains elements from the HUMAN genome!!!

  • Elchanan
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2013
      http://worldtruth.tv/human-genes-engineered-into-experimental-gmo-rice-being-grown-in-kansas/

      Human Genes Engineered Into Experimental GMO Rice Grown in Kansas

      Unless the rice you buy is certified organic, or comes specifically from a farm that tests its rice crops for genetically modified
      (GM) traits, you could be eating rice tainted with actual human genes. The only known GMO with inbred human traits in cultivation
      today, a GM rice product made by biotechnology company Ventria Bioscience is currently being grown on 3,200 acres in Junction City,
      Kansas - and possibly elsewhere - and most people have no idea about it.

      Since about 2006, Ventria has been quietly cultivating rice that has been genetically modified (GM) with genes from the human liver
      for the purpose of taking the artificial proteins produced by this "Frankenrice" and using them in pharmaceuticals. With approval
      from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Ventria has taken one of the most widely cultivated grain crops in the world today,
      and essentially turned it into a catalyst for producing new drugs.
      ALSO; I highly recommend this powerful, factual, online video by David Suzuki and others called 'SILENT FOREST'. Please pass it on
      to others. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w437uQf_A7c

      thanks, terry

    • prettysmartideas@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2013
        It is really nice to worry about what other people are doing, but, as raw foodists, about the only rice we might find a use for is wild rice which can be "sprouted" (soaked and used - sort of raw.. some raw food chefs call for it, but it is not a common inclusion in a raw food diet)

        One of the reasons I stay raw is that I don't want the weird stuff that goes into grains anymore.

        I think it would be much more productive to discuss, for example, hybrid vegetables, and their place, for example, in the raw vegan diet (I think not).

        Our focus, (if we are going to be worried about things other than what to eat tonight) I believe, should be on the problems facing organic vegetable and fruit farms, and their issues -- many organic farms choose to not seek certification because of the high cost of the certification, thus necessitating that we, as consumers, must ask, at every farm store, or every vendor in a green market, whether they are organic (secret password and all). The politicization of organics has actually created an oppression of organic farmers, instead of making us sure of what we are receiving at a reasonable price.

        If we want to further the idea of an increased amount of raw living foods in one's diet, shouldn't we be discussing those issues on this list, rather than discussing what other people are eating?? I don't think scare tactics will work until you've interested people in the alternatives.

        This is, and has always been a venue for the discussion of raw vegan foods. As such, we should be discussing issues that affect raw vegans directly. (How about "recipes", for example, or ways to deal with people who ask weird questions when they see what we are eating, or, even, if you must missionize, how to show other people your food and how good it is -- I think the problem there is that people in your workplace lunchroom don't necessarily *want* to share your food, and they, for sure, don't want you to eat their food)

        It is all well and good to get up in arms about politics and other foodways issues, but there are dedicated venues for such things (if you are worried about rice, you can go to the vegan and vegetarian lists, as well as the paleo lists, or else, to lists which discuss weird things they are doing to food that most people buy in supermarkets)

        Raw foodists have very specific issues which should keep us well occupied without worrying about other diets' issues. Our concerns run to organic produce or not, prosecution of raw parents who feed their children a raw diet,ways to maintain and survive on a raw diet (including frugality). We have more than enough "on our plate" without spending our time thinking about what other people choose to put on their plates (missionizing is not a subject I like to deal with: I find that you simply cannot wear down your friends and family, and you cannot beat them into submission, when it comes to raw food. If, by your healthy lifestyle, you show them something that they are willing to accept, you will win them. This is the same way Christian missionaries work with the people they *hope* to convert)