Re: [Raw Food] the ant that could

  • Mikko Nuuttila
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 11 1:31 AM
      Ants hate cinnamon powder.
      They had built their nest under my parents' banana tree
      and they sprinkled the soil with cinnamon,
      and in 3-5 days the ants had moved into a new location.

      I got rid of ants in my clothes storage room
      with that cinnamon invention also. 3 days and just gone,
      without having to kill them.

      Mikko

    • Celeste Tanit
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 11 10:16 AM
        I am always amazed that after becoming a raw foodist, people are still so emotionally twisted. You would think that cleaning the cells would clear one's "stuff".  That raw foodists would "get" the larger perspective and release the need to be "special". It is this kind of messiah/prophet complex that gives raw food a bad name and drives people away from what could really help them.  Burgers are easier to detox from than pride!
        I invite you to practice more gratitude and release the "what I have overcome" story.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11 10:58 AM
          In the past I have tried baby talcum powder, red pepper and I forget what else--
          none of which worked for me.

          I have a few suggestions.  If  you don't have pets or small children on the
          floor, you can try sprinkling baking soda around the perimeters of each room
          (where floor meets wall) and leave it there.  I also sprinkle some on each
          window sill.   I do that everywhere I live, don't have ants, spiders, roaches.
          Or-- you can take a little pill bottle and put 1 teaspoon each baking soda and
          table sugar (or confectioners sugar), shake it up to mix, then put where you
          have seen a trail.  Also put baking soda at your doorsills on the outside of the
          house.

          If you were to lay a spoon on your counter and thousands of ants appear in
          seconds out of nowhere, that might mean you have a nest under the foundation--
          been there, done that in Texas.   What I did there was to buy those little round
          ant traps (1 pkg) and put one the trail(s).   If you see live and dead ants, do
          not disturb, they will just make another trail and you will have to start all
          over again.  It took about 2 weeks to completely wipe the ants out of the
          house.  The trail was in our bathroom, so we rinsed the dead ants from the floor
          of the shower each night.

          I am chemically sensitive now so I use the baking soda for just about
          everything.  I had a cricket infestation last year for 4 months-- the noise
          drove me nuts.  I did the baking soda & sugar mixture and sprinkled it on my
          kitchen counter where they would run behind my appliances.  I mixed half and
          half in 2 pill bottles of baking soda and flour and put one on the floor by my
          dishwasher, the other by my bathroom vanity.  One or 2 days later, no crickets!
          No dead bodies laying around either.  And I did it without an exterminator.

          One last thing-- I bought my mobile home 4 yrs ago, last year had 3
          exterminators out here to check (2 were organic).  A prior owner had had plugs
          put under the house but I had no idea of when.  On my deck, on a beam, there is
          a big, non-active tunnel and at the other end of the deck a support beam is
          almost eaten away.

          I had one of the organic guys put Sentricon bait traps around the house.  So
          far, no sign of action.  He noticed the rock salt (I have desert landscaping all
          around the lot) - I put it all over once a year to kill weeds (works great).  He
          said it is very possible the rock salt (gets into the soil) would make termites
          move their nest.  Then I remembered I had a terrible probem with ants 4 yrs
          ago-- put baking soda and waterer on the mounds - have not been bothered with
          ants biting me when I pull a few weeds now and then.  The AC man (3-4 yrs ago)
          had ants climbing up his pants and biting him-- said he noticed the ants aren't
          around anymore.

          Good luck, let us know what works.

          ...Corky

          ________________________________
          From: Judy Pokras vegwriter@...

          Please tell us what the powder is that the ants won't cross. Is it Boric
          Acid?

          I have tiny "No See Um" ants on my kitchen counter. They come and go but I
          didn't invite them and don't want them there!

        • Judy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11 8:57 PM
            2010/7/11 Elchanan <Elchanan@...>

            > You're welcome, Judy. Something also hangs in the back of my mind about
            > ginger.

            I sprinkled a lot of cayenne onto the countertop but then realized I was
            using it all up and that stuff (organic) is expensive! I noticed that one
            tiny ant wouldn't cross the barrier, but the problem was that I didn't have
            enough cayenne to put everywhere that it needed to go. For one thing, the
            top was a shaker, so there wasn't any way to get it to make a thin line.

            > Request: I appreciate that we live during a time when everyone seems to
            > wish
            > to shorten everything. But in the case of my name, well, it's an ancient
            > Hebrew name, and the way you shortened it means "God". As I have no
            > aspirations to that role and make no claims of any kind whatsoever to any
            > such capacity :) ... well, would you be willing to use "Elchanan" ??
            >
            > I'm sorry. I was just being lazy in my typing. Where does your name come
            from?
            Is that the name they named you at birth?

            Judy Pokras
            vegwriter@...
            ジュディ

          • Elchanan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11 9:18 PM
              Oh, I have a suggestion! Shake it along the edge of the counter, say where
              the countertop meets the wall. Then take a little brush ... like a
              children's paintbrush ... and brush it into something resembling a line
              along the edge. What's what I did with the diatomaceous earth. Also, I
              pulled out the refrigerator and stove and made a line along the 3
              edges/walls (sides and back. That seemed to help.

              _____

              > You're welcome, Judy. Something also hangs in the back of my mind about
              > ginger.

              I sprinkled a lot of cayenne onto the countertop but then realized I was
              using it all up and that stuff (organic) is expensive! I noticed that one
              tiny ant wouldn't cross the barrier, but the problem was that I didn't have
              enough cayenne to put everywhere that it needed to go. For one thing, the
              top was a shaker, so there wasn't any way to get it to make a thin line.

              > Request: I appreciate that we live during a time when everyone seems to
              > wish
              > to shorten everything. But in the case of my name, well, it's an ancient
              > Hebrew name, and the way you shortened it means "God". As I have no
              > aspirations to that role and make no claims of any kind whatsoever to any
              > such capacity :) ... well, would you be willing to use "Elchanan" ??
              >
              > I'm sorry. I was just being lazy in my typing. Where does your name come
              from?
              Is that the name they named you at birth?

              > :):) Best,
              > Elchanan
              > _____
              >
              > From: rawfood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:rawfood%40yahoogroups.com>
              <rawfood%40yahoogroups.com> [mailto:
              > rawfood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:rawfood%40yahoogroups.com>
              <rawfood%40yahoogroups.com>] On Behalf Of
              > Judy Pokras
              > Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:15 PM
              > To: rawfood@yahoogroups.com <mailto:rawfood%40yahoogroups.com>
              <rawfood%40yahoogroups.com>
              > Subject: Re: [Raw Food] Dealing with ants (WAS: the ant that could)
              >

              > Thanks, El.
              >
              > I think I'll try cayenne pepper first. I like that idea.
              > I'll let you know...
              >
              > I can't figure out where they're coming in from. They are damn tiny and
              one
              > or two of them always seem to be moving around on various parts of my
              > kitchen countertop.
              >
              > On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Elchanan <Elchanan@...
              <mailto:Elchanan%40pathofhealth.org> <Elchanan%40pathofhealth.org>

            • davidcamp01
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 12 4:25 AM
                One recipe I can personally vouch for for indoor ants (kitchen counter) is this one I found somewhere on the Internet.
                1 Tblsp Warm Water
                1 Tblsp Honey
                1/2 tsp Borax (laundry section aka 20 Mule Team)

                Mix together and put a small amt. in a plastic lid on their march
                route. They will swarm it but don't swat. You want them to carry
                it back to the nest. If they are dying in the kitchen, cut back on
                the borax so they can survive to carry it off. This will work in a
                day or two and has worked every time for me. I read that it can be
                used outside too but I haven't tried that.
              • Judy
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 12 9:19 AM
                  Thanks, excellent idea! But they seem to prefer to run along the front edge
                  of the counter and along the narrow edge that is perpendicular to the floor.

                  2010/7/12 Elchanan <Elchanan@...>

                  > Oh, I have a suggestion! Shake it along the edge of the counter, say where
                  > the countertop meets the wall. Then take a little brush ... like a
                  > children's paintbrush ... and brush it into something resembling a line
                  > along the edge. What's what I did with the diatomaceous earth. Also, I
                  > pulled out the refrigerator and stove and made a line along the 3
                  > edges/walls (sides and back. That seemed to help.

                  > _____

                  Judy Pokras
                  vegwriter@...
                  ジュディ

                • manifestnow
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 14 2:12 PM

                    Margaret

                    --- In rawfood@yahoogroups.com, Judy <vegwriter@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks, excellent idea! But they seem to prefer to run along the front edge
                    > of the counter and along the narrow edge that is perpendicular to the floor.
                    >
                    > 2010/7/12 Elchanan <Elchanan@...>
                    >

                    > > Oh, I have a suggestion! Shake it along the edge of the counter, say where
                    > > the countertop meets the wall. Then take a little brush ... like a
                    > > children's paintbrush ... and brush it into something resembling a line
                    > > along the edge. What's what I did with the diatomaceous earth. Also, I
                    > > pulled out the refrigerator and stove and made a line along the 3
                    > > edges/walls (sides and back. That seemed to help.

                    > > _____

                  • *Linda* M
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 14 7:33 PM
                      Just make sure you turn on your dehydrator before you put food in there, the ants will come out as soon as it gets warm, no harm done, i had that happen once.

                      To: rawfood@yahoogroups.com; yahoo@...
                      From: vegwriter@...
                      Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:41:37 -0400
                      Subject: Re: [Raw Food] the ant that could

                      Please tell us what the powder is that the ants won't cross. Is it Boric
                      Acid?

                      I have tiny "No See Um" ants on my kitchen counter. They come and go but I
                      didn't invite them and don't want them there! And I'm always worried they'll
                      nest in my dehydrator. I'd never even find them in there, as the inside is
                      dark brown plastic.